Should I Save for mods... - Page 7 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:50 PM

The L15A7's dual plenum upper intake manifold, cam, and rocker arm assembly are technically upgrades for the LEA (which is what Spoon offers for the CR-Z if I recall correctly). Transmissions will not interchange of course due to the IMA but some gears have been known to be swapped between the GE8's 5 speed (and 6 speed in GE8 RS models) and the CR-Z as well. M/T stock vs. M/T stock the GE8 is a pinch quicker in a 0 to 60 run due to weight, despite the CR-Z having better torque and power outputs... Some could also be argue that it comes down to the driver and their launch.

With the A7 upper intake manifold, you may notice that the power/torque band shift slightly higher up and should notice that the car pulls harder after 3.5k until about 6k... at which point the engine doesn't make anymore power from then to limiter (going from my seat of the pants feel from my before/after manifold install, would love to dyno before/after). I'm certain you will need some sort of engine management to tune if you do cam and rocker arms.

As for the HPD exhaust... I'm honestly not sure what gains if any you'll see and also curious about learning this as well.

As for what's next... Having the cash set aside for the clutch and LSD would be wise since that would be a two for one install... BUT, is there anything that needs to be addressed soon that is a maintenance item that can be upgraded during replacement? That could be a cheap upgrade as well depending on the item. The DC5S and AP1/AP2 brake caliper bracket flip I've read is a popular choice, same goes with DC5S calipers and rotors though I'm not sure how they clear stock 16s (someone please chime in on that) if you still have those.

In regards to going from tuned for NA then later FI, its doable but there may be some items that are a potential conflict when you transition to boost. If you go Sprintex, the upper and lower intake manifolds get changed out for the blower... BUT you can retain your existing stock airbox or cold air/short ram intake. If you go with a centrifugal S/C (Jackson Racing/HPD) or turbocharger, then the intake manifolds stay BUT you lose your stock airbox or cold air/short ram intake.

Sorry if this post comes off as a clustered ramble... A little whiskey and feeling the food settle in from Thanksgiving has me a bit tired. haha
litz and Shamarskii like this.

Veni, vidi, velcro... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:46 PM

Just save your money. When you get out of school you will need it. Then you will make more money and want another car.
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie View Post
The L15A7's dual plenum upper intake manifold, cam, and rocker arm assembly are technically upgrades for the LEA (which is what Spoon offers for the CR-Z if I recall correctly).

With the A7 upper intake manifold, you may notice that the power/torque band shift slightly higher up and should notice that the car pulls harder after 3.5k until about 6k... at which point the engine doesn't make anymore power from then to limiter (going from my seat of the pants feel from my before/after manifold install, would love to dyno before/after). I'm certain you will need some sort of engine management to tune if you do cam and rocker arms.

As for the HPD exhaust... I'm honestly not sure what gains if any you'll see and also curious about learning this as well.

As for what's next... Having the cash set aside for the clutch and LSD would be wise since that would be a two for one install... BUT, is there anything that needs to be addressed soon that is a maintenance item that can be upgraded during replacement? That could be a cheap upgrade as well depending on the item. The DC5S and AP1/AP2 brake caliper bracket flip I've read is a popular choice, same goes with DC5S calipers and rotors though I'm not sure how they clear stock 16s (someone please chime in on that) if you still have those.

In regards to going from tuned for NA then later FI, its doable but there may be some items that are a potential conflict when you transition to boost. If you go Sprintex, the upper and lower intake manifolds get changed out for the blower... BUT you can retain your existing stock airbox or cold air/short ram intake. If you go with a centrifugal S/C (Jackson Racing/HPD) or turbocharger, then the intake manifolds stay BUT you lose your stock airbox or cold air/short ram intake.

Sorry if this post comes off as a clustered ramble... A little whiskey and feeling the food settle in from Thanksgiving has me a bit tired. haha
Thanks for the insight @Hootie. One thing I may do in the long term future is change the valvetrain then. I've read that it would decrease the fuel economy because the Ge8 uses both intake ports at all times compared to the CRZ using only one. But by then, fuel economy would be the worst of my worries haha!

But yes, definitely would need something for engine management.. That'll be around the time I'm really ready to go into power. Thankfully, my school of thought is for the car to handle better than it needs to... So power is towards the end of my list.

Great idea to look into maintainance items. Good thing to look into when I go in for an oil change.

In regards to FI, I would want to turbocharge the car. Looks like the GE8 intake may just get to stick around on the list after all.

Annnd it's far from clustered... More coherent than most of my posts ever will be

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
Just save your money. When you get out of school you will need it. Then you will make more money and want another car.
See, yeah. That would make sense (my brothers would agree with you, so much so they'd buy you some beers).

Honestly, I'm not much of a typical teen... I spend a lot of time deliberating on decisions in my life (for example, picking nursing school over my other options og a STEM program or Social work) only because I'm scared of wasting time/money/energy on something that I may flop on. I didn't want to just buy a beater to go around in, I wanted to have a car I'd truly want to take care of...

(I had bought my mom's car before hand and sold that car as soon as I was able to afford the CRZ. I hated putting gas in it of all things.)

Not only that, but I like to be the odd one out. That unique, unlockable character that only a few people know how to play. The CRZ in that sense really vibes with me so it'll be staying around for a long, long time. Shoot, I admire it every now and then when it's parked somewhere still.

(Now that I think about it, I should make a new thread specifically for a build over time. The title is now a bit misleading imho.)

Your nurse in training
are you in Ontario or Québec?

post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamarskii View Post
...Not only that, but I like to be the odd one out. That unique, unlockable character that only a few people know how to play. The CRZ in that sense really vibes with me so it'll be staying around for a long, long time. Shoot, I admire it every now and then when it's parked somewhere still. ...
Yep. Good character you've got there.
Shamarskii likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT and the 6-Speed | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | HPD | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:44 PM

The best mod I made for any of my cars has been attending the Skip Barber race driving school. I'm sure there are some other schools that work as well.
litz and Zycle like this.
post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:15 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unpaidbill View Post
The best mod I made for any of my cars has been attending the Skip Barber race driving school. I'm sure there are some other schools that work as well.
+1 for that. We've mentioned this to the kid before. 🙂
post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fediej View Post
+1 for that. We've mentioned this to the kid before. 🙂
Oh that's definitely happening. I just started making more money/free time in the fall and I'm planning on going in the spring, guaranteed!
Zycle likes this.

Your nurse in training
are you in Ontario or Québec?
post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamarskii View Post
Oh that's definitely happening. I just started making more money/free time in the fall and I'm planning on going in the spring, guaranteed!
Autocross is quite different than track, but there are always autocross schools in the spring (usually pretty affordable). You get loads more seat time than an actual event and its a nice intro to performance driving, so going on track / doing a track school is a bit less intimidating.

I was pretty nervous first time on track, so I'm glad I did autocross first. If you end up doing any track days shoot me a message and I'll try to make it too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode