Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Aftermarket Backup Camera Install

14K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  MrFastFox666 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to see if anyone had step by step instructions or knowledge on the work involved in installing a back up camera to the rear license plate area using a 2012 EX.

I've been mulling over purchasing a rear view mirror with built in dash cam and backup camera functionality. Either that or I'd also love to replace the head unit with one that has a proper display for the dash since I don't have the Navi head unit. Although that option is likely to cost more and be more labor intensive... So I'm most likely going with the simpler solution via the former option.

That said, regardless of the direction I go I could use some guidance on how to wire the camera to the rear license plate area. There appears to be some kind of holes for screws to attach a camera unit on the top half of the unit but I can't seem to figure out how to get access to it from the interior so I can wire everything.

Any suggestions, information or help with this would be extremely valuable and sincerely appreciated.

#2 ·
I've only had my '11 EX for 3 weeks and love this thing, for a city legal courier its pretty perfect, good mpg, "sporty-ish", easy to park... Except the rear viewing situation, not the worst ever but could use a little help.

I've always used Pioneer (20+ years) and don't need a flashy $1K model in this car so I went with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pioneer MVH--210ex with LicPlate cam, ASWC-1 interface with the metra 70-1730 plug and 98-7879 dash kit.

I've been looking for a good pic thread but most of them are all too old to see anything to really help the install along, but I have found that the head unit is only held in by one bolt accessible from below after you remove just the center console upper/lower pocket (where the usb comes out, pocket only held in by clips and hooks) and the unit comes out with the whole chunk of dash

I'm still waiting on the dash kit, strangely enough the first thing I ordered, but hopefully it will show this week. Theres a hole in the back section of the tire well that I'm hoping passes thru easily to the outside behind the plate for the cam. then just pull the weather stripping in the doors and pull back the carpet and hide the wire. When I do finally start I am going to take a bunch of pics and start a new thread.

#3 ·
I've got a Pioneer NEX radio. I eventually had a backup camera installed by a audio shop. They installed the camera where the factory one attaches to the car. I think they wired it into the rear backup lights as the camera only activates when the car is in reverse. Image is not crystal clear, but it works for a backup camera. I think I was charged somewhere around $200 for parts and labor.

#5 ·
I recently added an aftermarket rearview camera and monitor. I didn't take any pics but it wasn't too bad. For the camera I went with:

https://www.amazon.com/NATIKA-Backu...se/dp/B07H852D49?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_17442842011

There are two holes above the license plate for the factory camera, I fed the wire through one hole and the camera mounted into the hole. I checked the fitment on a Honda Fit and saw it was also mounted slightly off center so I figured the hole being only about an inch or so off center would work. I ran the wire behind the rear bumper up the rear light assembly. Removed the rear light assembly, made a very small hole in the rubber grommet that leads into the car and fed the wire. Tapped into the black&green wire for the positive and found a good ground for the negative. Buttoned up the rear and ran the long RCA cable to the front and tucked all the wire under the door sills (from the rear it looks factory and no visible wires anywhere along the way). I got a 4 or 5 inch monitor and put in the small space behind the cup holders. The monitor hooks up to the yellow RCA cable , but also has it's own power wire set-up. Only needed to hook the red wire from the monitor to a fuse in the fusebox (no need to hook up the ground). Other than the monitor being in that space everything looks factory. The back-up picture is great and adds a lot of insurance when backing up. I left the back-up lines (not to scale), but the red line is just about perfect (backed up to my test spot and I was within about 6 inches). Overall took about an hour and a half, tucking everything and soldering the rear power wire to the factory wiring.

#6 ·
I have a 2016 EX with built in back up camera but hate the view out of the rear view so I bought the Yojetsing mirror rear view camera and front facing camera with built in dvr from Amazon, best invention ever great night view, there are more expensive options like the AutoVox. Installation videos are on YouTube.

#7 ·
I installed a rear back up camera, I made a custom bracket to hold my camera to the area above my license plate, ran the wires through holes in the car that were already there. I had to remove panels to hide the wires and run the wires under the carpet to your monitor and tap power somewhere, i used one of those mini fuse taps to run power from my fuse box.

Mounted my 4" monitor in the storage space near my cupholders.

I have it wired so that the monitor only turns in when the car is in reverse.

The wire diagram is pretty basic and easy with the kit I bought, it was one of those cheap eBay kits, I just wanted to have a little fun with it. I actually use it a lot.

I think I paid like $28 for the kit.

I have a dash cam and laser detector that I also hard wired to the car so you don't have wires running to the cigarette lighter.

I want to buy one of those cheap blind spot sensor kits and see how they work.

Ill take some pics and upload them sometime.

If you live in southern CA OC area, I could help you install it, its really easy.

#10 ·
I installed a rear back up camera, I made a custom bracket to hold my camera to the area above my license plate, ran the wires through holes in the car that were already there. I had to remove panels to hide the wires and run the wires under the carpet to your monitor and tap power somewhere, i used one of those mini fuse taps to run power from my fuse box.

Mounted my 4" monitor in the storage space near my cupholders.

I have it wired so that the monitor only turns in when the car is in reverse.

The wire diagram is pretty basic and easy with the kit I bought, it was one of those cheap eBay kits, I just wanted to have a little fun with it. I actually use it a lot.

I think I paid like $28 for the kit.

I have a dash cam and laser detector that I also hard wired to the car so you don't have wires running to the cigarette lighter.

I want to buy one of those cheap blind spot sensor kits and see how they work.

Ill take some pics and upload them sometime.

If you live in southern CA OC area, I could help you install it, its really easy.
Hey there, I have the 2011 CR-Z Mugen, I want the rear camera, but haven't tried only because I thought I couldn't mount a monitor, I like your idea!!, I have a few questions, the camera you listed, is that the camera you installed in your ride, and how did you get a good vertical angle adjustment, I don't want the picture to be too high or low, and the monitor, what monitor did you order, and lemme know what brand and how you installed it by cup holder, I'd appreciate it

#9 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to see if anyone had step by step instructions or knowledge on the work involved in installing a back up camera to the rear license plate area using a 2012 EX.

I've been mulling over purchasing a rear view mirror with built in dash cam and backup camera functionality. Either that or I'd also love to replace the head unit with one that has a proper display for the dash since I don't have the Navi head unit. Although that option is likely to cost more and be more labor intensive... So I'm most likely going with the simpler solution via the former option.

That said, regardless of the direction I go I could use some guidance on how to wire the camera to the rear license plate area. There appears to be some kind of holes for screws to attach a camera unit on the top half of the unit but I can't seem to figure out how to get access to it from the interior so I can wire everything.

Any suggestions, information or help with this would be extremely valuable and sincerely appreciated.

Any suggestions, information or help with this would be extremely valuable and sincerely appreciated. tap the rear light connector gray and black wire for the positive and black for ground, running the wire on your passenger side all way to the back remove the cover and fish the wire, remove the headlight and drop one of the screws from the bumper to drop your camera install with your licences plate and connect and close back your turn signal and check your connection

Attachments

#18 ·
I installed a camera on my Civic, it's super easy. Just find a backup camera (get a good one, don't cheap out) and get either a rearview mirror with a display (which is what newer CR-Zs had from the factory) or an aftermarket head unit with support for a rearview camera. The head unit will have a wire for activating the camera automatically, just wire it to your reverse lights. Also you can wire the camera power to your reverse lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.