Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Fully function IMA assist/regen 4.7 mfactory final drive

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  litz 
#1 ·
Hello everyone i am relatively new to the Crz but not new to modifying newer Honda's or finding solutions to problems we all run into when modifying.
I've always been a fan of shorter final ratios especially on allmotor Honda's and I was one of the first to install a type r final drive on a 8th gen civic si back in 2007. A friend and local Crz owner informed me that if you install a shorter final on the Crz the Ima would not function properly. Having driven my 2016 Crz for 6-7 months new with just Intake and exhaust it feels slower than my old EG with a d series, the 4.29 ratio is way to tall for this car that weighs quite a bit.
I studied how the car uses the speed ring on the differential to gauge when and how to assist and regen.

My solution was to develop a speed ring that would fool the IMA into thinking everything was fine even with a big change in ratio 4.29 vs 4.687
I had a speed ring water jetted and installed on the stock diff alone with the mfactory 4.7 final drive (ignore the si lsd in the pic as it did not fit in the Crz trans). Only downside I've noticed is now naturally the speed ready high on the speedo about 3-4 mph as before, but now I have snappy quick acceleration and a fully functional IMA

Currently making a speed ring for a 4.928 final drive stay tuned

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
i find this topic interesting but for those who are limited to understand properly can you share with a parts list or part numbers and maybe instructions on whats needed to install.

#5 ·
Interested also--but I was wondering if you have any more HPD parts, other than the brakes. Do you have the HPD limited slip differential, working in conjunction with the new final drive ratio?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.