Definitive CR-Z Tire Size List - Page 3 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghaidilly View Post
Very good thread, btw.

I have one question though. Doesn't the width of the wheel affect the overall diameter?

For instance, wouldn't a 205/45/17 on a 17"x7" wheel be a larger diameter than on a 17"x9" wheel?
Diameter is a 2 dimensional measurement, defined as the distance of a straight line reaching from edge to edge of a circle that passes through the center point of the circle. So the thickness of the wheel doesn't change the diameter.

I do not discriminate, I am an equal opportunity irritant.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geopardy View Post
Diameter is a 2 dimensional measurement, defined as the distance of a straight line reaching from edge to edge of a circle that passes through the center point of the circle. So the thickness of the wheel doesn't change the diameter.
Uh, yeah, I know what diameter is.

But it would seem to me that if you stretch a tire on a wider wheel, the profile drops. And if the profile is in affect less, then so would the diameter. For instance, let's say you take the standard tire, 195/55/16, which is installed on a wheel that is 7" wide. If you put that same tire, on a 9" wide wheel, you have to stretch the tire, thus the profile is no longer 55mm and would be less. The same goes if you put it on a narrower tire, thus "bulging" the tire, and making the profile higher.

Is this not so?

Edit: This stemmed from Art's comment, when he said "The only thing is that the chart and calculator don't consider stretch."

2012 EX CVT Milano Red - 35% Formula 1 Pinnacle tint, Black/Grey leather Clazzio's, iJDMTOY LED interior and plate lights, Aries 3D floor liners, no performance tuning until the warranty runs out.

Last edited by Shanghaidilly; 04-11-2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Put Art's comment in here
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Super Duper Member

nice post!

2011 PWP CVT | PlastiDip Addict | DIY Mods | Engine 100% Stock |

post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghaidilly View Post
Uh, yeah, I know what diameter is.

But it would seem to me that if you stretch a tire on a wider wheel, the profile drops. And if the profile is in affect less, then so would the diameter. For instance, let's say you take the standard tire, 195/55/16, which is installed on a wheel that is 7" wide. If you put that same tire, on a 9" wide wheel, you have to stretch the tire, thus the profile is no longer 55mm and would be less. The same goes if you put it on a narrower tire, thus "bulging" the tire, and making the profile higher.

Is this not so?

Edit: This stemmed from Art's comment, when he said "The only thing is that the chart and calculator don't consider stretch."
Nope, for wheels they are measuring the diameter of the wheel not the tire, which is why for OEM at least when they increase the wheel size the tire wall profile decreases to help maintain the amount of clearance between the tire and the wheel well. I think Art's comment refers to how some people alter how the wheel and tire are positioned to make them more flush with the car, rather than the recessed position most stock cars use.

post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 03:29 PM
ShazzMINISTRATOR

Garage
I thought stretch would make the diameter smaller too but I guess not according to this...

Sent from Galaxy Note 2
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geopardy View Post
Nope, for wheels they are measuring the diameter of the wheel not the tire, which is why for OEM at least when they increase the wheel size the tire wall profile decreases to help maintain the amount of clearance between the tire and the wheel well. I think Art's comment refers to how some people alter how the wheel and tire are positioned to make them more flush with the car, rather than the recessed position most stock cars use.
But I was talking about mounted tire diameter, not wheel diameter. Regardless, you sir, are correct. Here's what I found on TireRack - Tire Specs Explained: Rim Width Range for Street/Highway Tires

Quote:
The width of the rim will influence the width of the tire. A tire mounted on a narrow rim would be "narrower" than if the same size tire was mounted on a wide rim. NOTE: Because the overall diameter of a steel-belted radial is essentially determined by the steel belts, there is little, if any, change to the overall diameter of the tire due to differences in rim width.

2012 EX CVT Milano Red - 35% Formula 1 Pinnacle tint, Black/Grey leather Clazzio's, iJDMTOY LED interior and plate lights, Aries 3D floor liners, no performance tuning until the warranty runs out.
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 04:30 PM
c-m
Super Duper Member

Garage
I'm really worried that my setup isn't going to work like I planned. I'm nervous!

My Build Thread
I work on computers, not cars. Please excuse the dumb questions.
post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-m View Post
I'm really worried that my setup isn't going to work like I planned. I'm nervous!
How far out of specs are you?

post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 01:46 PM
c-m
Super Duper Member

Garage
Not far out. The front will be fine 225/40/18 on 18x8 +35. The rear is what has me worried. 235/40/18 on 18x9 +40. Does anyone know if this will fill the fender wheel gap without me lowering it?

My Build Thread
post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM
c-m
Super Duper Member

Garage
Just to update my setup. They fit perfectly without any rubbing at all. I'm stock height at the moment. I think the 235/40/18 in the rear is a perfect fit on the 18x9 rim.

My Build Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode