Breaking transmission? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By HondaHolly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Breaking transmission?

Hey my 11' cvt transmission has been acting up around 4th gear seems almost at random times but here's what happens; I will punch it in sport mode hard acceleration in manual mode. Around 5000 rpm it's feels like the module tries to shift but fails and the car jerks hard in a quick stop like motion. Freaks me out and I immediately let off on the gas. Any idea on what I may have destroyed/damaged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red slug View Post
Hey my 11' cvt transmission has been acting up around 4th gear seems almost at random times but here's what happens; I will punch it in sport mode hard acceleration in manual mode. Around 5000 rpm it's feels like the module tries to shift but fails and the car jerks hard in a quick stop like motion. Freaks me out and I immediately let off on the gas. Any idea on what I may have destroyed/damaged?
Check your fluid level. There are a lot of threads on the CVT transmission that may help you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 06:07 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
At first I thought you were talking about the 6-Speed manual, but since you're CVT, I don't think it sounds normal if you had it in 4th (SPORT mode, paddle shift) if it didn't bump off the rev limiter and shift into 5th automatically. Of course, I've had a couple times where I've shifted it at the same time it was automatically going to shift at the rev limiter, and goes up two gears instead of the "one" I was expecting (same type of thing could happen if you accidentally hit an up-shift or down-shift or even miss-shift.) If no operator error involved, it could be fluid level and/or a fluid change might take care of the problem (if it isn't just some computer glitch that shows up under the right, er, wrong conditions.) Have you checked to see if there are any software updates that your 2011 needed but didn't get (from a previous owner?)

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

I've checked the fluids that's good I'll probably would have flushed the fluid and add new but instead I'm going to have a someone check it out. And I have done the same thing where I shifted right after it shifted.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:39 PM
Red&Black <3

Garage
CVTs are weird. I dont use the paddle shifters, but I have had it "slip" during moderate/aggressive acceleration up around 3000-4000 rpms and I can see/hear/feel the rpms fall backward by 500 or so. It's very strange. My cvt has more and more issues every year. My fluid gets changed once a year by Honda, and I have had the software update. I think CVTs are just plain old weird...

2011 EX CVT
~~~~~~~~~~
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:45 PM

Garage
I get my cvt fluid changed every 15k, CANT GO WRONG

|K&N|Mugen|Car Tuned
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:27 PM
Red&Black <3

Garage
Haha my thoughts exactly. Can't hurt! Once a year for me is 15k-20k

2011 EX CVT
~~~~~~~~~~
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Super Duper Member

Just make sure when the fluid is changed all filters are changed too.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Red&Black <3

Garage
Breaking transmission?

There's only an inline filter, between tranny and radiator. That's as far as I know. There's a whole thread about it and if it's worth it to change it. I had it replaced at 30,000 miles at Honda (they had ZERO idea wtf I was talking about - had to show them a diagram). Cost me an extra $80. And they gave it to me so I could try to open it and see how dirty it was. But I think I've thrown it out by now. I didn't feel like trying to drill or cut into it.
Spdbump likes this.

2011 EX CVT
~~~~~~~~~~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode