1st gear whining sound - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

1st gear whining sound

Hi guys and girls,

Was hoping someone could point me in the right direction in regards to an issue I'm having. Have done a search in relation to the issue but have not been able to pin point an obvious cause.

I have a UK 2011 Honda Cr-Z 1.5 IMA Sport Hybrid (Manual).

When in "normal mode", if I change from neutral to 1st gear (from standstill) there is a whining sound which can be heard just before releasing the clutch. This normally occurs when stop/starting in slow moving traffic, moving from a parking space or after a red light for example.

However, if my car is in "eco mode" or "sport mode", it is fine. No noise what so ever.

Any information or links to a similar issue would be much appreciated.

Russell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:03 AM

Sounds like normal operation of the IMA motor. Not sure why it only happens in normal though.

Maybe has to do with the throttle position? Keep in mind that the ECU alters the throttle inpututput ratio based on mode, so if you are putting the pedal 50% down, throttle response is roughly: Eco:30%; Normal:50%; Sport: 70%
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the fast response 96firephoenix.

Maybe "whining" was the wrong word to describe the sound, more of a "creaking" sound possibly. I've had the car for two years and its only started making this sound in the last week.

So far, I'd say 8 out of 10 times in normal mode, when the clutch is at the biting point or just before release into 1st gear, the sound will occur.

However, I am going to double check that if it does make the sound in sport mode to see if I can narrow down the issue to the throttle position. Like you suggest, there must be some variation in the mode which is triggering this issue.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 01:01 PM

If it's right at the biting point, it could be related to the delay valve in the master cylinder

Check this thread for more info:
Clutch Delay Valve

On an unrelated note: I've got some questions on buying UK parts that I'd like to discuss with you in private messages if you're willing...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Garage
This noise is not normal, did you ever change the manual transmission fluid? Did you ever replace the clutch fluid?

I-VTEC SOHC+ IMA
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

96firephoenix, thanks for the link. Will look into this to see if I can see any relation.

Please feel free to message me and hopefully I can help you out.

chazdawg35, I have not changed the fluid personally, but have had it serviced by the book every year of ownership. The previous owner had the car had been serviced on schedule by Honda too. At work at the moment so dont have the details just yet but I will contact my garage to check this. If not then I shall most likely start here and get it done ASAP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode