Recall: 2011 Honda CR-Z, 6 speed manual - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 204 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Post Recall: 2011 Honda CR-Z, 6 speed manual

Recall: 2011 Honda CR-Z, 6 speed manual

Fortunately just a software update, but it looks important.

Quote:
Additionally, Honda will voluntarily recall 5,626 CR-Z vehicles from the 2011 model year in the U.S. that are equipped with manual transmissions to update the software that controls the hybrid electric motor. In the affected vehicles, when the gasoline engine has stalled with the IMA battery in a very low state of charge and the transmission in gear, it is possible for the electric motor to rotate in the direction opposite to that selected by the transmission. If this occurs and the driver has not engaged the brakes, the vehicle may slowly roll in an unexpected direction (e.g., backwards when the transmission is in a forward gear), potentially leading to a crash. A software update will add further controls to correct the problem. No injuries or deaths have been reported related to this condition.
Statement by American Honda Regarding Two Recalls: 2006 Honda CR-V; 2011 Honda CR-Z with Manual Transmission - Honda.com

Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake!

Last edited by DerekS; 09-04-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Adding description of the problem from the slow source link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 204 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:48 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Honda will voluntarily recall 5,626 CR-Z vehicles
wonder if Canada is affected too. can't check on the Honda website until the end of September is what that article says.

post #3 of 204 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Sounds like all the 6mts made, to me.

Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake!

post #4 of 204 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
hopefully it ends up giving more power lol

post #5 of 204 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Elite Member

Garage
The symptoms of this malfunction described in the recall seem very similar to that which was described by a new owner whose wife was trying out the hill holder clutch upon driving the car home from the dealer and suggested that car accelerated in reverse while she tried to disengage the clutch.

At the time, the consensus on this forum was that the car simply rolling down hill from gravity might have felt like it was accelerating in reverse, but the strange description of this malfunction suggests that just such a thing could have been initiated by the car.

post #6 of 204 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 04:14 AM

Garage
Your link seems to be dead? Found another one:
Statement by American Honda Regarding Two Recalls: 2006 Honda CR-V; 2011 Honda CR-Z with Manual Transmission - Honda.com

Not good. My battery never goes under half but... I like the way it runs now and I dont like changes much. I dont like it driving the wrong way either tho. Would it then be spinning the gas motor backwards too? How is that possible?
post #7 of 204 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewr View Post
Your link seems to be dead? Found another one:

Not good. My battery never goes under half but... I like the way it runs now and I dont like changes much. I dont like it driving the wrong way either tho. Would it then be spinning the gas motor backwards too? How is that possible?
Derek's link still works for me.

The IMA motor is attached to the gas motor so yes, it would go backwards too.
The text says this happens when the gas engine has stalled, so it's not running under it's own power and it could rotate backwards just as easily as forwards.

Unrelated, but one of my cars years ago would "run on" after turning the ignition off, not unusual in the days before electronic injection, but that would sometimes go backwards.

2010 CR-Z GT 6MT

Crystal Black Pearl
post #8 of 204 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Thanks Derek. Good to know.
post #9 of 204 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Duper Member

Thanks for posting this!
post #10 of 204 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 AM

Garage
Yikes! Good thing I got the CVT instead yesterday

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode