6-Speed Grinding Noise in 1st - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By litz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

6-Speed Grinding Noise in 1st

Hey Guys, I have a 2012 6-speed and recently I've been getting a grinding noise when taking off in 1st gear when the clutch is still lightly activated. It sounds like that grinding noise city buses or trucks make when they come to a stop. Any ideas what this might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Deputy Forum Librarian

Garage
When you say lightly activated, do you mean the clutch is still depressed? Do you have a video or soundclip for us to hear?

For your FAQ's - ABC's for the CR-Z
supercrz's experience with the CR-Z
Add me on Facebook: TJ supercrz; Follow me on Instagram: supercrz
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:23 PM
Super Duper Member

Yeah need more info (mileage, number of owners, maintenance kept up). A video of the issue or recording of the sound would help as Supercrz mentioned. The descriptive term grinding makes it sound severe but one person's grinding can be another persons howling or whirring which would be much less serious.

A few possible causes with the limited description from cheapest to more expensive:
-Operator error (no offense meant even good drivers can have a period of bad engagement)
-Clutch release fork to slave cylinder contact area needs grease, it can make some funny sounds
-Clutch master cylinder fluid change (old, low fluid or air in system causing clutch engagement issues)[it uses brake fluid and Honda recommends 36 month intervals on brake fluid]
-Clutch master cylinder leaking
-Clutch release bearing needs replacing
-Clutch disc worn or damaged, pressure plate worn or damaged or flywheel resurfacing

As you can see theres a wide range of possibilities and potential costs with the limited information provided, we need more info.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:29 PM

Garage
also, buses and trucks make all sorts of noises so it's a little vague... but yeah more info would be a great help.

but if by grinding, you mean like a high pitched squealing (think train screeching to a stop), then perhaps you need to look at if any area around your clutch/flywheel are worn, or for mechanical failure. if this sound only occurs when engaging (partial clutch), i would suspect any or a combination of the issues Koala listed above.

also, the clutch should be used in as short a time as necessary when engaging a gear.

'13 CRZ - PWP EX 6MT

mksengineering.com
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies View Post
.... (no offense meant even good drivers can have a period of bad engagement) ....
Cripes, I'll say. There was this girl back in the mid-seventies.... thank god that one went into the ditch.

I was just trying to think of something more fun than diagnosing "a noise" by typewritten posts.

Nope. Nothing. Fold.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. It has 71k miles, I'm the second owner. I bought it pre-owned certified at Honda at around 7k miles. Here's an audio: Vocaroo | Voice message I'm referring to the high pitched noise.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:54 PM
Deputy Forum Librarian

Garage
I'm not sure what it could be.

If it's still certified, I'd suggest just taking it to the dealership. Let the warranty take care of it.

For your FAQ's - ABC's for the CR-Z
supercrz's experience with the CR-Z
Add me on Facebook: TJ supercrz; Follow me on Instagram: supercrz
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:57 PM

Around 75k miles my car started having trouble going into first gear. It would only go like half way in and you would hear the gears wind up. It only happens on a perfectly flat surface. I am at 101k now and it doesn't seem to be getting worse. I don't know if it's the same problem as you though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately the warranty ran out. And there isn't any trouble getting it into gear, just the concerning noise :/
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 01:03 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram View Post
Unfortunately the warranty ran out. And there isn't any trouble getting it into gear, just the concerning noise :/
Have you checked/changed fluid recently? If you haven't changed it at all or are unsure if it has been changed during a service visit, now's a good time to change it.

Koala gave you a few things to check--but, even if it's not necessarily the cause of the noise, you'll at least be assured that the fluids and contact areas are lubricated/greases properly:
-Clutch release fork to slave cylinder contact area needs grease, it can make some funny sounds
-Clutch master cylinder fluid change (old, low fluid or air in system causing clutch engagement issues)[it uses brake fluid and Honda recommends 36 month intervals on brake fluid]
supercrz likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode