"VigLink" links - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Defiant
  • 1 Post By chimaera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
"VigLink" links

Is there any way for me to turn off or disable the "VigLink" feature, that reads posts and inserts (unwanted by me) advertising hyperlinks when it stumbles across terms it thinks should link to outside advertisers? When I want a link to something, I add it. Otherwise, I don't and I object strenuously to having some unseen agent doing it "for" me, particularly in posts I have written.

I had a quick look at the settings and options in my user control panel but did not see anything obvious. I hope I just missed it.

In the driveway: 2015 CR-Z (manual); 2004 Honda ST1300 (motorcycle); 1998 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD (manual)
Gone and not forgiven: 2011 MINI Clubman (manual)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Google Chrome (and probably Firefox) and Ad Block Plus (free).
Spdbump likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
Google Chrome (and probably Firefox) and Ad Block Plus (free).
Those are the two browsers I use, so they're not the answer. How would Ad Block (or any client-side product) prevent a server-side product from composing and inserting hyperlinks in messages? Or do they intercept the stream of HTML and remove links that are "signed" by VigLink?

In the driveway: 2015 CR-Z (manual); 2004 Honda ST1300 (motorcycle); 1998 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD (manual)
Gone and not forgiven: 2011 MINI Clubman (manual)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandCRZ View Post
Those are the two browsers I use, so they're not the answer. How would Ad Block (or any client-side product) prevent a server-side product from composing and inserting hyperlinks in messages? Or do they intercept the stream of HTML and remove links that are "signed" by VigLink?

If I take a picture of a stop sign, you can read it as intended. If I take another picture covering the S with my hand, suddenly the sign says "top." The sign didn't change, but your view of it did. Adblock finds and removes links and images to third party, often off-site ad links. A hyperlink is just text surrounded by href brackets, which get removed from your view.
Spdbump likes this.

September 2016 LOTM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode