Snow - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Snow

Hey everyone, I just purchased my first CR-Z and am coming from a Subaru Outback. Im not expecting it to drive as good as the Suby did in snow. I am wondering, what are your experiences are with snow driving in a CR-Z? Does it stay fairly in control? and was the ground clearance ever a problem?

Thanks in advance for the help

Driving a CR-Z since 11/23/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Deputy Forum Librarian

Garage
I only have the CRZ as my vehicle and it handles very well when it snows here in Nevada. It will handle better if you have good tires too.

For your FAQ's - ABC's for the CR-Z
supercrz's experience with the CR-Z
Add me on Facebook: TJ supercrz; Follow me on Instagram: supercrz
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 05:51 PM
Super Duper Member

Tires make a very big difference. Some have dedicated winter rims and snow tires. I did have one issue first year I owned it as I forgot The Speed Bump was 3 to 4 inches lower than the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP it replaced. I had to push through higher than usual snow on a side street.

This is one reason I have considered putting a front camera on the car low to judge better.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 12:15 PM

Garage
Any tire brand recommendations?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 04:48 PM

Using Cookies

BLIZZAK WS80

2011 CR-Z EX 6MT CBP
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 10:21 PM

Garage
I have had good experience with my CR-Z in the snow. I think better tires would be a great improvement but for what it is stock it does fine. If you leave traction control on it does a good job of not cutting power for too long, allows you to inch along if needed. I am stock height also. Last winter I went through over a foot of fresh snow with no issue. Only time it seems to have issue is if the road is icy, even then not so bad. I have a set of chains just in case. Tried them last year and felt I could go anywhere with them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 01:49 PM

I've got some winter rims... just waiting to put winter tires on... I'm riding out my all-seasons as long as I can... they need replaced soon anyway, so I'm hoping to hit the wear bars soon... I drive a lot, so it will probably be sooner than later.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 05:27 PM

Garage
Definitely get winter tires, cheap insurance compared to an accident! I have a set of General AltiMax Arctic snow tires with metal studs installed on 16" steel wheels from a Civic. Best bang for your $$!! I was plowing through 30+ inches of snow with no issues! With the studs the CR-Z drives on ice like it's a dry road. The drawback to adding studs on the tires is less grip on dry roads, but for me it's worth the trade off.

Oh and here in PA, Studded tires are only allowed November 1st - April 15th. Every state has their own laws.

Stephen The Automotive Technician

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode