Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

2016 CR-Z 4 Clicks, clicking sound at start up after new speakers installed

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Spdbump 
#1 · (Edited)
Solved:2016 CR-Z 4 Clicks, clicking sound at start up

Solved : It's the freakin' electronic parking brake in the 2016 CRZ.
I was listening for trouble after installing my speakers, and picked up on this sound that otherwise I wasn't noticing beforehand.

I installed some new speakers in my front doors last week, and afterwards I now notice about 4 or 5 clicks when first turning on my car. Sounds like a relay of some sort, coming from somewhere on the left side of the car either near the dead pedal by my feet, or possibly behind me.
I had a short on one side I had to fix, kept the front 2 speakers from working. I heard this clicking noise when they weren't working as well.
Otherwise, all seems to be working, and have sound from all 6 speakers and a quiet but working subwoofer.
Hard to replicate since it only seems to do it after it's been sitting awhile - will try to pinpoint this if needed.

This is a 2016 CR-Z EX
The new speakers are Primus 6500cs, 3 ohms

Anyone have any ideas?

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe you're hearing the Motor Control Module relays that are back there, but they are for the IMA system, and you haven't messed with that wiring, so... maybe you're just hearing the normal sounds of the relays. But, then again, it's really hard to pin point the location of an odd sound--could be fooled by thinking it's in one location, and it ends up being at the other end of the car, LOL!

#7 ·
That was incredibly helpful.

The sound doesn't appear to be coming from the MCM area, but instead closer to the rear left speaker.

Still haven't been able to pinpoint it.
Frustratingly, I can only get it to do it the first time switching the car into accessory mode. Turning off and back on doesn't repeat it until some amount of time has elapsed.

The 2013 EX doesn't do this.

#9 ·
I have heard a relay clicking sound that seems to be coming from the area you describe, but in fact, there are no relays in that area, as you've seen. That's why I mention that it really could be the ventriloquist effect--and really coming from under the dash, or another source. Incidentally, I was resetting my ECM after clearing some DTC's--so I think you're right on the money, thinking it's a relay, but you might put a funnel to your ear, and aimed at the under-dash fuse/relay location when you do the first-time-switching the car on, just to see/hear if it's louder there, as opposed to aiming the funnel back towards the rear. Let us know if you track it down.:wink2: ...before it blows-up, or ends up driving you crazy.

#12 ·
I'm about 90% certain it's coming from the vent behind the rear left speaker. I believe this is an air inlet for the battery pack?
So perhaps I AM hearing sounds from the MCM relay being routed through the opening from the vent.
So odd. I'll try to stuff myself back there and see for certain today.

Could you perhaps keep an ear open and see if it's coming from that rear left speaker area? I'd be grateful, as I can't reproduce this in a 2013, just my '16.

I have heard a relay clicking sound that seems to be coming from the area you describe, but in fact, there are no relays in that area, as you've seen. That's why I mention that it really could be the ventriloquist effect--and really coming from under the dash, or another source. Incidentally, I was resetting my ECM after clearing some DTC's--so I think you're right on the money, thinking it's a relay, but you might put a funnel to your ear, and aimed at the under-dash fuse/relay location when you do the first-time-switching the car on, just to see/hear if it's louder there, as opposed to aiming the funnel back towards the rear. Let us know if you track it down.:wink2: ...before it blows-up, or ends up driving you crazy.
Too late for the last part. I'm losing sleep over this.

#14 ·
Sorry everyone.

It's the god damn electronic parking brake. I happened to overhear the 'click' while disengaging it - sure enough it makes a click every time you engage & disengage.
Why it's clicking at startup, I have no idea. But thats what it is.

I obviously mistook the sound for something new when trying to listen for trouble after installing my speakers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.