upgrading speakers .. what should i get? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By d1giPhux
  • 1 Post By prospect

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

upgrading speakers .. what should i get?

Looking to upgrade my front, and rear speakers. Don't want to mess around with any custom BS at all. Just want to replace and enjoy!

What do you all reccomend? What have you installed in your car? How does it sound compared to the 'premium honda audio package' that I have in my 2011 (or your car)?

Really just want to pull the speakers, install new ones, and enjoy. I don't want to mess around with much custom stuff. I can install spacers, solder, etc. Just don't really want to run into any trouble.

Shoot some suggestions at me! What have you found that you love so far!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:54 PM

having done this, there really is no need to obsess over what to get. the only things to change are the main speakers. the tweeters and sub are pretty good quality (although read the thread about stuffing the sub box - this is an audible difference)

the main speakers are truly horrible, i have no idea how they even work with a magnet that small! i bought some generic speakers for the local motor parts place, about 60 for four, night and day difference.

youll need some spacers (or make your own from MDF), some self drilling sheet metal screws, and some spade connectors too.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospect View Post
having done this, there really is no need to obsess over what to get. the only things to change are the main speakers. the tweeters and sub are pretty good quality (although read the thread about stuffing the sub box - this is an audible difference)

the main speakers are truly horrible, i have no idea how they even work with a magnet that small! i bought some generic speakers for the local motor parts place, about 60 for four, night and day difference.

youll need some spacers (or make your own from MDF), some self drilling sheet metal screws, and some spade connectors too.
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. And here i thought the stock speakers sounded good!! LOL. Shows how much I know.

Looks like these will fit the car decently, and come with some spacers:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB6...er-reviews-tab

A bit expensive, but not TOO bad. Wish i could buy JUST the speakers though. Says the tweeters will fit too, but mine are working fine it seems.
litz likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:17 PM

looks good!

yeah i wouldn't bother with the tweeters, the originals blend in nicely and the magnet is pretty big (bigger than the ones that came with my speakers anyway)

i would advise making your own spacers if you can though - from memory you need bigger ones on the rear, i made mine from 1 sheet of 16mm mdf and one sheet of 5mm, stacking to make thicker ones.

i also put components in the front (better bass) and coaxials in the rear ( no tweeters back there) although youll find when you test them that the rears dont put out much volume, something to do with the sound balancing, not a fault!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

So the spacers that come with these kits wont really work? Hmm..

How did you go about making a spacer? I could probably make some, but, sounds like a bit of a pain.

Also, the rear speakers stock are coaxial right? I wonder why the balance would be off then? Good to know though! Thanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:04 PM

heh "coaxial" you havnt seen the originals yet!

not that the supplied spacers wont work, but from what i recall i had to pack out the rears quite a bit as they are mounted quite close to the outer skin of the car, the fronts not so much. so its more to save the hassle of swapping them / bodging the job

all you need for spacers is mdf, the paper template that all the speakers i have ever bought come with, a pen, jigsaw cutter, and a drill of some sort to make the inital hole for the saw.

then again, if youre not confident with / dont have the tools to do the job, spacers may well be easier for you!

as for how to actually do the job, i used the frankly excellent guide in the DIY section of the forum.

sub box mod
DIY: OEM EX Sub

speaker replacement
DIY: EX Model 7 Speaker Polk upgrade

d1giPhux likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Nice! Thanks!!

I can definitely make the spacers, I just don't want to. LOL. I guess I will though.

Also, I might just use a plastic cutting board or something to make some plastic ones. Might be cheaper than MDF. Same thing people use to make suspension spacers as well.

So are you saying that when you put new rear speakers in the cone is much bigger and therefore much closer to the plastic on the car?

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

What type of stuff you have in your car?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode