Rear view camera question. - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Rear view camera question.

Hello

I have a 2013 base model and I replaced the stock head unit with a Pioneer touch screen that has a rear view camera input. I have the mirror that shows the rear view camera when I go in reverse. My question is. Where are the wires or coax that I could tap into behind the dash so I could feed the video signal into my new head unit also ? I would like to know the location, colors, plug pin and any other info on the stock rear view camera.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM

There's so many things here that conflict.

Stock head unit with a pioneer touch screen... Wat

Base model with stock rear view camera... wat

Mirror that shows rear view camera... wat

... Let me get this straight. You bought a base CRZ which already had a rear view mirror that has a built in screen which displays the input of the aftermarket installed rear view camera? Or did you install a rear view mirror with a screen yourself?

The base model does not come with a stock rear view camera, so this is a bit confusing.

Also - did you install a new head unit (i.e. the pioneer touch screen)? If so - there is an input on the back of the pioneer head unit to plug the backup camera input into - as well as a "reverse input" wire (which is purple) on the head unit that you need to wire to something that changes voltage when your car is in reverse (ex. the reverse lights).

Give me some clarification of whats goin on and I can help you.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Super Duper Member

I think OP wants to know which wires he can tap so the pioneer deck would show the camera when he goes in reverse instead of the rearview mirror.

2011 PWP CVT | PlastiDip Addict | DIY Mods | Engine 100% Stock |

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1. I said that I replaced my stock head unit with a Pioneer touch screen.

2. I have a 2013 CR-Z not the CR-Z EX. The dealer called it the base model and it came from the dealer with a rear view camera and an auto dimming mirror with a small display built into the mirror that displays rear view camera when I shift into reverse.

3. What I want to do is split the video signal coming from the rear view camera so I can feed it into the rear view camera input on my new Pioneer head unit.

tenthouanddays, carefully read some ones post before you reply.

Yes, JasonCRZ you are correct.

Thank you
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 07:49 PM
Elite Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to IareMrHappy8D
personally it sounds like a lot of work for not very much gains. you could probably remove your rear bumper and find out where the wires from the camera lead as it goes into the car, trace those wires toward the front cabin area, then splice the camera signal. into the HU. and THEN you have to find out how to turn off the rear mirror display when its thrown in reverse (I remember reading somewhere that was possible) AND THEN you have to wire your head unit into your reverse gear signal switch to let it know when to turn on.

sounds like a big headache to me not to mention a lot of work dismantling interior trim, breaking clips left and right, miscellaneous rattling within the cabin, etc. I feel like just have your nav screen be for nav/audio and your mirror be for auto-dim and reverse. its kind of neat, don't you think? the camera in the mirror? if you don't think you can see well enough, just throw the car in reverse and hold the power button until the guide lines disappear that's what me and my roommate did (we both have 13 crz 6mt)

2013 Honda CR-Z EX 6MT "Scarlett"
Long live the manual transmission!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, after thinking about it some more, you are right. It does sound like allot of work. I am just going to leave it like it is. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode