California SMOG test on Hybrids! - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
California SMOG test on Hybrids!

Well everyone I just got my registration renewal and now I'm required to SMOG my CR-Z in California. The main reason that I sold my S2000 for this car was because I didn't want to go thru this SMOG crap, IT'S A HYBRID what more does this state want! They legalize smoking pot that has to cause pollution in the state, but I guess that doesn't matter. If this is the case from now on I'm seriously considering selling the car and getting a muscle car pre 1973 with NO smog and lots of HP! I do hope that our new POTUS will live up to his promises and end all this BS government regulations.

I-VTEC SOHC+ IMA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Deputy Forum Librarian

Garage
Yup!!! Same here in Nevada. We only get 5 years of no SMOG testing. I just got mine done last month.

For your FAQ's - ABC's for the CR-Z
supercrz's experience with the CR-Z
Add me on Facebook: TJ supercrz; Follow me on Instagram: supercrz
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 06:20 PM

Garage
You have a car that burns dinosaurs, no matter how efficiently, of course it has smog testing. Get a Tesla or a bicycle if you don't want to get smog tests anymore. Or move to a state with far less aggressive environmental standards. Like Alaska or Nebraska.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 09:15 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdawg35 View Post
Well everyone I just got my registration renewal and now I'm required to SMOG my CR-Z in California. The main reason that I sold my S2000 for this car was because I didn't want to go thru this SMOG crap, IT'S A HYBRID what more does this state want! They legalize smoking pot that has to cause pollution in the state, but I guess that doesn't matter. If this is the case from now on I'm seriously considering selling the car and getting a muscle car pre 1973 with NO smog and lots of HP! I do hope that our new POTUS will live up to his promises and end all this BS government regulations.
Good luck with POTUS living up to campaign promises, since there's always the other branches of government that need to play along also--not to mention that your particular regs are courtesy of the California masses and politicians. I'm in S.E. Ohio, and we have no SMOG test on cars (more tractors & farm equipment per capita than people, hahaha.)

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread
Sprintex | Mugen | Takeda | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Super Duper Member

Yeah! You tell em! Global warming is a hoax lie created by Chiiiiiiiinugh, science is wrong they are liars vaccines carbs gluten chem trails jade helm and whatever other dumb bs nonsense.

This could easily head in to thread lock territory the way you started it out but you can take it to a Honda service department if you don't want to go to one of the mom and pop places, a few minutes plugged in no error codes and done for ~$40. Whats the big deal unless you removed your catalytic, are throwing error codes or otherwise tampering.

The information on emissions regulation law for the State of California is readily available and it has been posted several times on this forum that eventually the CR-Z will require emissions testing after the specific new-car grace/exemption period, just like every modern other vehicle. For someone whining about environmental regulations one would think you would have known and read about that instead of just whining and making a thread about how you're surprised you didn't know.

But hey, F the future of the planet because you don't want to take a half an hour out of your day to make sure you're not irreparably destroying Earth. Chiiiiinah.
alan111209 and Spdbump like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 03:12 PM
Super Duper Member

I feel ya...it really sucks but oh well, another $50 or so bucks on top of registration. I'm probably going to spend $300 total with my custom plates with smog.

I'm assuming your reg is probably for January since I just did mine back in Sept.

I can still remember back then when Hybrids were able to go on carpool lanes. Knowing our state, they will find a way to cater some sort of money generating income with electric cars in the future.

2011 PWP CVT | PlastiDip Addict | DIY Mods | Engine 100% Stock |
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
The problem that I have with this SMOG crap is the Guy down the street drives a POS 1970 Ford truck that blows pollution all the way down the street and no one gives a damn. Here I try to make an effort to "save the planet" with a newer Hybrid car and the California government comes after me. It's a big money making scam and if I had a car and was not able to afford to pay for a smog the state would gladly take it off the road for me. Some families are strapped for money and have a hard time getting to work to put food on the table for their kids, the solution take their car away until they can afford to buy a new one. Another thing is if you think a few states that do SMOG checks is going to change the environment of the world good luck. Look at China for example Beijing is so bad you can't even go outside without a mask. That pollution is blowing across the Pacific ocean onto the shores of the "Golden" state of California, does anyone say anything about that No! I guess that I'll just have to conform to the "State Law" like the rest of the sheeple here.

I-VTEC SOHC+ IMA
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Super Duper Member

There have been lawmakers who have tried to change the old car smog exemption. It is bs. They'd only lose an unnoticeable 1-2 hp or be charged more to operate a vehicle that pollutes approximately 99-times as much as a modern vehicle. Other states have state-run inspection stations instead of the hundreds of thousands of shady hole-in-the-wall 'smog test only' places and they are no-cost and can't be bribed as opposed to the testing method in CA. Write your legislators.

CA only recently came out of the stone age on the unidentifiable paper-plate nonsense that allowed criminals and a-holes to operate and act with impunity (hasn't yet taken affect). It was citizens writing their lawmakers that led the push for change.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:09 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Meh. My only thought is that the half-million minutes I might spend in my life driving around in various cars, including those with things like SU carburetors, will never puke out a minuscule fraction of exhaust that one jet blarks out taxiing from the hangar to the runway. And modern cars like the Z don't really produce any smog to check. Smog check schemes are just another revenue stream for governments, like the dime-a-bag we're having to fork over when we go shopping now. They may have had their place in the seventies, in some specific locations like the bowl of LA (please flush), but the stuff they're building now just isn't that dirty.

We're far too subject to believing what we're told, without enough time to stand back and truly evaluate what facts may or may not be behind the words.
litz likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Super Duper Member

Emissions controls do in fact go bad. Catalytic converters clog and fail, evap canisters, EGR valves all can stop working, exhaust connections rust and break, ignition problems and so on. A modern car can pollute just as much as a car with no emissions controls even if perfectly maintained so while modern emissions controls are effective at eliminating upwards of 90%+ of the 'pollution' if those controls fail then one car is polluting as much as 90+ other vehicles.

Extrapolate and do the math. If thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions (CA 38 million, US population ~320 million) weren't required to check and make sure their vehicle's systems are still operating properly...

If you are selfish, don't have children or young relatives, don't care about the future of Earth and life as we know it or just hate smart people who actually do research on the subject then continue with the false-equivalence Idiocracy-style science denying fact hating bull**** nonsense.

"Slate contributor Eric Holthaus said that he had foresworn flying because of its disproportionate climactic impact. In his piece describing why he took a 28-hour bus ride from Wisconsin to Atlanta, he noted that the amount of emissions associated with driving that distance in a Honda Civic (1,386 pounds of carbon dioxide) was roughly equal to the amount of emissions he would have caused in flying that distance (1,587). Note, of course, that the 2012 Honda Civic gets 39 miles per gallon on the highway, where most of that driving would take place—far above average. Sivak’s study points out that the average light-duty vehicle on the road in the U.S. gets about 21.5 miles per gallon. His study suggests that vehicles would have to get more than 33.8 miles per gallon in order to be less fuel-intensive than air travel. Holthaus crossed that threshold by incurring a huge personal inconvenience,"

Driving vs. flying: Which is more harmful to the environment?

Its often almost the same if the driver is carpooling (ie riding a bus), if you're driving around all smug in your own personal car by yourself then the plane will actually beat out the automobile regularly in efficiency and pollution, especially if you're driving carbureted junk. If you really care you'd stop whining and figure out how to put a catalytic on jet propulsion instead of making useless comparisons that you shouldn't have to smog check your car because airplanes don't have to.

Knew this thread was going to be nothing but stupid whiny bullcrap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode