California SMOG test on Hybrids! - Page 2 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 09:47 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
No whining. I endeavor to leave a carbon divot that'll make Meteor Crater look like a flyspeck.

I'm not sold on the tales of scientists who claim man can be responsible for whatever this week's buzzword for Global Warming is. During my days in science class -both of them- the big boogie man was The Coming Ice Age, which would be here by '72.

Yes, I'm driving around by myself, but it's not in an empty Suburban in the fast lane.

The universe is ringing like a bell, and as part of it, Earth's climate will similarly flow across highs and lows. But I'm more concerned about California getting that extra forty bucks a year (smog checks around here run eighty a throw) from me.... but not enough to move to a county that doesn't have biannual smog inspection.

You can't tell what's in a cake until you've eaten it, and then it's too late. Same as the future.
litz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Super Duper Member

The original post was some incredibly childish first world problem whining crybaby nonsense.

Took to local Honda service, emissions check, and done, they even send the results electronically for you. Now why is this so hard. No one really thought that their gasoline powered internal combustion engine CR-Z was going to be exempt from emissions inspections forever just because of the badge stuck on the hatch did they?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 04:47 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Whaaaaattttt!? "Your certificate is valid for 90 days from date of issuance."

I don't have any smog/emission checks here, so I thought it was pretty bad that you had to get rechecked EVERY YEAR, but expletive deleted; expletive deleted; expletive deleted;, what kind of non-expletive deleted; are you out there to applaud such nonsense every 90 days?

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread
Sprintex | Mugen | Takeda | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 04:47 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Well, I really thought that my gasoline powered internal combustion engine CR-Z was going to be exempt from emissions inspections forever just because of the badge stuck on the hatch, just like Priusseses are, which are all gasoline-powered. So did my smog man when I first took it by to show to him. But I also thought I'd get an ugly pair of stickers that'd let me drive in the HOV lane, too. C'est la guerre.

No, litz, the 90 days is the amount of time you have to turn the cert in to the State before it expires, or they bang you another forty bucks. Our inspections are every two years. But I've not heard of anyone having to undergo a safety inspection for the last forty years. The CHP used to have random, temporary inspection stops, but now they only have those for drinking. Profit margin.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 04:51 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
Well, I did. So did my smog man when I first took it by to show to him. But I also thought I'd get an ugly pair of stickers that'd let me drive in the HOV lane, too. C'est la guerre.
I was very mad at the two states I lived in that will give many vehicles those decals for use of HOV or toll because they are more economical alternative energy etc but in both cases my CR-Z did not qualify. Based on less than 3 EPA MPG estimate difference! I wrote some very short well worded letters trying to find out why and the answers I got were arbitrary.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Super Duper Member

When I lived in CA and had to sell a previous car I was annoyed that I had to have it smog tested even though I had it done a few months before. They have a law the smog test has to be within a few months if the vehicle is changing hands. Stupid!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:53 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
No, litz, the 90 days is the amount of time you have to turn the cert in to the State before it expires, or they bang you another forty bucks. Our inspections are every two years. But I've not heard of anyone having to undergo a safety inspection for the last forty years. The CHP used to have random, temporary inspection stops, but now they only have those for drinking. Profit margin.
Yeah, that. This is for registration renewal. Same for vehicle transfer of ownership. Good for that time when it needs to be turned in (90 days to submit) then once submitted the certificate is good for two years.

I've still seen those temporary inspection stations every so often around Los Angeles. Portable rollers and tailpipe sniffer.

Someone here might deserve a nice roadside inspection and the certain someone they speak of can't do a thing about it.

Defiant likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 12:52 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
For a while up in the Bay Area they were setting up drive-by sniffers, and if you stank too bad they'd send a copper after you to make you go get inspected, fixed and inspected. I think that program died-out, or technology obviated it. I've never seen one of these modern roadsides- the only one I had ever been in was in.... '76? and all they cared about was horn, lights, wipers, glass and tires. No hood-popping.

Interesting that station is outside Vacaville, somehow I'd never seen one. But the last smog cheating I've done was taking the air pump off the 2000. Oh, and I guess the 510 with the L-24 wasn't quite legit....

In CA the seller of a used car is required to include a valid smog cert, but I don't think I've ever gotten a car with one, I've always had them tested myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode