Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Top Gear tests BMW I8

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Aceryl 
#1 ·
Top Gear tested the BMW I8 tonight which had similar ideas as our CRZ's, including a 1.5 engine even though Beemer's is a three cylinder. It goes to show how daring and innovative Honda was with the Z!

#2 ·
You know what else...we can open our gas caps when we want without waiting....we can open the hood with one person..our hoods have a easy to open latch...our hoods wont crease when held by only one person....our hoods have a rod to hold it open. Why is that important, well because the I8 needs two screwdrivers shoved into brace holes to hold the hood open. Oh yeah...the doors have emergency manual latches if the battery dies or you cannot use the electronic open. You know what sucks...that emergency latch us very prone to break because it involves 3 motions....lift up the latch, then press a small button under the latch....then lift the latch the rest of the way. They said most people will lift the latch and over extend it causing it to break.
Nice job bmw. Such an innovative car.

#4 ·
I think the car is overrated. $135,000 for 350hp. It is a car for people with money and are kinda sorta into cars, and they are told this is the next thing you have to buy. All the electronics dont matter...the styling is ok, but it is a car that is not meant to be worked on or tinkered with by anybody except the mechanic...and it was built that way. It is BMW's attempt to bring the next gen of these stupid future cars into the present.

I can't take away from what they have created though, but it is just not a car that interests me at all. Stick with your M series BMW...you guys are even letting that slip

#7 ·
I testdrove one because I was considering it after my M4. It is a badass car and exclusivity is one of its purpose.

It is rated at 76 mpg.

Except for ingress and egress issues if youre not young or have back issues, everything about the car screams technology.

#6 ·
While I do see the price as a little ridiculous, I do find it to be an amazing car. Which is rare for me because (don't hit me, I know I had a CR-Z), as I'm not really a hybrid guy in the least, as I enjoy my old cars more then anything. The Honda side of the car is what made me want it. Zero to 60 in 3.6 seconds (jesus.), EV modes, decent MPG for the car.

The idea of the car, the technology included, is where I think the price comes from. Which once you're in that range of money, you're buying cars catering on what you want vs reality since a $2,000/mo lease isn't exactly achievable for most.

#8 ·
Do they rent you the batterys there in the states too?

Because in here they ask you a monthly fee for your battery.

I mean , why bother going electric cars, if you have to pay for your battery the same amount that you would spend on GAS.... it's retarded.

I like the car visually, and the motor is very cool indeed but there is a bit of a down size, such as Abusive price for what it is . And if the battery is a rental....it's also stupid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.