Consumer Reports screwing the Accord Hybrid - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Consumer Reports screwing the Accord Hybrid

The Honda news of the day being plastered all over the web is that the new Accord Hybrid fails to live up to it's 47MPG rating. They claim that during their "test" that they only achieved 40MPG and the road noise and handling was worse than even the other Accords.

I don't know what they did to that poor test car to get 40 MPG, but I call BS.

My Fiancee's parents bought a top of the line Accord Hybrid a couple months ago and I have since driven it for several hours and a couple hundred miles. Admittedly, I drive rather efficiently, but I regularly get 48-50MPG while driving it. Her mother (the regular driver of the car) gets 46-47 MPG, and her father who regularly drives a Mustang GT and uses the same driving style on the Accord gets 44 MPG. I can't imagine a "normal driving scenario" in which 40MPG could be achieved. Perhaps they were blasting the air conditioning and spent excessive time stopped or maybe they braked far beyond the electric motors ability to regen (which is immense)? I just can't believe that they would, knowing their influence in the car world, write an article like that: Honda Accord Hybrid Overpromises, Underdelivers - Consumer Reports News

I also find the ride more comfortable and quieter than the other 9th gens I've driven.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm starting to think they don't really like Honda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
They're using averages, I hate averages, they barely tell anything.

I bet the author owns a Prius, the Honda hybrids drive completely differently, sounds like Mr. Evarts is lead foot, which is why the Prius does so well.

There is a lot of bias-ing going on in the article, also this is the first Accord Hybrid so bugs are expected.

"Answers are easy, it's asking the right questions that is hard." -Third Doctor
Leitz's Build Thread|CBP 6MT EX '11
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Consumers Reports does their testing using pretty basic scientific methodology. The driver is not allowed to mash the throttle in one car while treating another like it's made of glass. If they got a 40 mpg average, it's because they got a 40 mpg average.

The problem is that they are sensationalizing the results. Their lede for the story describes how poorly the Accord tested. Then there's two paragraphs dumping more shame on the Accord. Only half-way through the article do they inform us that it still did better than another hybrid in its class.

Consumer reports makes money on subscriptions. But their readership is falling apart - thanks to free websites that offer the same kind of information. Every year, their opinions get more and more outrageous as they struggle for click rates and subscriptions.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
If they got a 40 mpg average, it's because they got a 40 mpg average.
Well yea, 40 average, there are many aspects that are lost in the translation of the data. I'm not discouraged that they were able to decipher between highway and city fuel economy, however the lack of complete data results in a poor reputation in my books.

I'm not arguing just discussing :3

Last edited by Leitz; 05-30-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Grammar
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 01:11 PM
Deputy Forum Librarian

Garage
Quote:
Consumer reports makes money on subscriptions. But their readership is falling apart - thanks to free websites that offer the same kind of information. Every year, their opinions get more and more outrageous as they struggle for click rates and subscriptions.
I agree with you. Most people also rely on forums such as ours to get more accurate information. We have many members purchase their CR-Z after learning more about it from the forum.

For your FAQ's - ABC's for the CR-Z
supercrz's experience with the CR-Z
Add me on Facebook: TJ supercrz; Follow me on Instagram: supercrz
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrz View Post
I agree with you. Most people also rely on forums such as ours to get more accurate information. We have many members purchase their CR-Z after learning more about it from the forum.
I got the most useful (and reliable) information prior to purchase from here, and the European review websites, where a zippy small car with decent fuel economy is actually preferred over a gas-guzzling V8 with a gun-rack A couple of youtube vids where people actually drove the Z were also great.

2013 Black EX CVT with Navi - iPad OBD display iJDMTOY diffuser LEDs, white interior and engine bay LEDs, illuminated door sills, hood LED strip, Decepticon entry lights. Decepticon hood/trunk logos, hood "vent" stickers, Decepticon windshield banner. Bayson R "Mugen" Wing, K&N SRI, Tanabe Medallion Touring Twin Exhaust.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
Well yea, 40 average, there are many aspects that are lost in the translation of the data. I'm not discouraged that they were able to decipher between highway and city fuel economy, however the lack of complete data results in a poor reputation in my books.

I'm not arguing just discussing :3
I agree, the lack of detail and the claim that they drove it "thousands of miles" really makes you wonder what all is in that average.

Were the handling and performance tests part of that average? When the electric motor is drawing the full 124kw I'm sure it can suck down some fuel trying to generate all that electricity.

I'm not suggesting that there is a definitive way to test mpgs, but when the results are consistently lower than the fuelly average, perhaps some adjustments need to be made.

I guess I'm really just upset about the sensationalism of the whole article.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
It's all good, Leitz. I like these discussions.

CR does their MPG testing on a track. They have a highway loop, during which they drive pretty steady at 65 mph. They also have a city loop, which involves plenty of scheduled stops and idling. I may be wrong, but I think they drive something like 150 miles for the mpg test. The MPG test is conducted independently of the performance testing. So, 0-60 runs should not skew the mpg results. I don't have a link handy, but I was once a subscriber and have read about their methodology in the past.

That said, you do have to dig for the details. Not linking to the methodology in their own articles absolutely should raise an intelligent reader's eyebrow.

remc86007 - The thousands of miles remark was in reference to the time they spent with the car as a whole. These miles would not be included in the MPG test. And it's likely that 10 to 15 different staffers drove the car for those "thousands of miles". Maybe each one got to have the car for 200 miles if they were lucky.

It would be wonderful to think that most new buyers get their information from reading forums like this one. The reality is that more people will read reviews from Edmunds or Cars.com, and other websites of their ilk. You know, the same sites that used the Veloster's fradulent 40 mpg highway rating as ammunition to shoot down the CR-Z.

Not that I'm bitter.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
CR does their MPG testing on a track. They have a highway loop, during which they drive pretty steady at 65 mph. They also have a city loop, which involves plenty of scheduled stops and idling. I may be wrong, but I think they drive something like 150 miles for the mpg test. The MPG test is conducted independently of the performance testing. So, 0-60 runs should not skew the mpg results. I don't have a link handy, but I was once a subscriber and have read about their methodology in the past.
Their 50 standard tests are good and bad, because all tests were run under controlled conditions, the mpg can be better compared to other cars. The bad being that because it is controlled, it cannot be compared to real-world scenarios.

"The Accord Hybrid isn’t the first hybrid we’ve found that doesn’t live up to its EPA rating, nor does it fall as far short as some others." This shows that a significant number of cars do not line up with the EPA estimate, that's because they can't compare their tested results to the EPA results.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
remc86007 - The thousands of miles remark was in reference to the time they spent with the car as a whole. These miles would not be included in the MPG test. And it's likely that 10 to 15 different staffers drove the car for those "thousands of miles". Maybe each one got to have the car for 200 miles if they were lucky.
Thanks for clarifying. The article simply states: "Unfortunately, even missing its fuel economy estimates isn’t our biggest problem with the Accord Hybrid. In driving the car for thousands of miles and running it through our more than 50 standard tests, we also found that it rides significantly less comfortably than any other Accord we’ve tested."

The fact that they go straight from the fuel economy into the thousands of miles made me assume that's how they got it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode