Consumer Reports screwing the Accord Hybrid - Page 2 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Yeah, I have big issues with the way that CR does their tests. It's not that the tests are unfair. They are legit ways of measuring things and make sense from one POV or another. However, they do not make sense from every POV. Yet, they claim absolutely supremacy for whichever vehicle wins their test.

A good example of this was the CR-V vs Forester in their cargo hauling test. This goes back more than 10 years. CR gave the Forester the nod over the CR-V because they could fit a larger single box in the back of the Subie. They claimed simply that the Forester had a better cargo area. This is quite remarkable given that the CR-V had almost 10 cu ft more space at that time. It simply wasn't regularly-shaped space.

If you are going to tote a single large item, like a washer or dryer the back of your car, I think the Subaru would have been the better choice. However, if you were going to fill the back of your car with duffle bags, ski gear, and numerous objects of various shapes, the CR-V was better. This played out when C&D packed beer cases in the back of each one and the CR-V fit more of them.

It's not that CR is unscientific. It's not that they are fudging the results. It's just they choose their methods by finding the most unique way to measure something, not necessary the most useful way to measure it. They do things a certain way just to be interesting and to grab attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:21 PM
CR-Z Forum Librarian

Folks, it's Consumer Reports.
I realize that there is a certain latent fondness for them on this board, but I know not why.
They are to the Scientific Method what Readers' Digest is to literature, or the National Enquirer is to journalism.

If an auto magazine pulls this kind of testing and reporting, we understand because it is supposed to be as much entertainment as education. CR, on the other hand, purports to be some sort of testing laboratory. It isn't. It's Readers' Digest for purchasing decisions. And because most of us are too busy to do our own in-depth research, too many of us mistakenly rely on this kind of reporting.

Excuse me, while i head to the grocery store to pick up the Enquirer. Dying to find out who has been outed as the spawn of an alien breeding, this week!!!

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear … but no one can tell who is charging whom!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-Z Canadian View Post
Folks, it's Consumer Reports.
I realize that there is a certain latent fondness for them on this board, but I know not why.
They are to the Scientific Method what Readers' Digest is to literature, or the National Enquirer is to journalism.

If an auto magazine pulls this kind of testing and reporting, we understand because it is supposed to be as much entertainment as education. CR, on the other hand, purports to be some sort of testing laboratory. It isn't. It's Readers' Digest for purchasing decisions. And because most of us are too busy to do our own in-depth research, too many of us mistakenly rely on this kind of reporting.

Excuse me, while i head to the grocery store to pick up the Enquirer. Dying to find out who has been outed as the spawn of an alien breeding, this week!!!
I'm glad someone had the ability to put into words what I was thinking.

Follow me on Instagram: @bzrollin
My interior-centricly accessorized CR-Z
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've never paid much attention to consumer reports, except for the occasional report that grabs headlines. (I guess that makes me part of the problem here) I do remember in the late 90s they seemed to have more credibility than they do now. My dad used to make nearly every purchasing decision based on their advice. I think many of our families Hondas were purchased due to their reliability in the long term tests.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
A little follow-up.

Quote:
As the chart illustrates, there are always some differences in the test results. Among this group, there is just a single case where our results were greater than the government’s: the Honda CR-Z.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode