Cold and IMA System - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Cold and IMA System

Went out yesterday to move my CRZ (2011 Base 6 speed manual, 111K mi) and the "Check IMA System Light" came on. Leaving for work this morning the same thing happened. After driving it awhile I shut the car off and re-started and the IMA light went out. Temps were in the 9 to 16 range all weekend. I've had the car since 2012 and have not had this happen. is this a normal thing or is my battery going bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:31 AM
Super Duper Member

Was it using the "emergency " starter?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Don't know, seemed to start as normal.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Super Duper Member

You should not see that light under normal circumstances but Batteries and cold do not go together. If it were mine I would have it checked at a dealer or if you have a code scanner write down any codes and research. Good Luck

Others may have better information about your situation. I hope it all works out for the best.
jtcorbin likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

I'm kind of suspicious because we've had colder winters and the light never came on. I had a 2010 Insight and never had problems with it either.

Jeff Corbin
2011 CRZ Base 6MT
Milano Red
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

When the IMA light comes on does it set a code in the computer or is it only there while the light is on?

Jeff Corbin
2011 CRZ Base 6MT
Milano Red
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcorbin View Post
When the IMA light comes on does it set a code in the computer or is it only there while the light is on?
Everything sets a code and it stays till either cleared or it gets too old and is over written by new codes. Sometimes it will self clear if X amount of time has passed and the error has not occurred again. I just do not know what time increment is X.

I have a scan gauge II permanently installed in The Speed Bump, one of its features is it can scan and read/reset codes. After a reset it takes a number of miles and starts before the car is "ready" and will pass an OBD II based emissions test.

That is the depth of my knowledge on DTC codes. Sorry I could not be of more help.
jtcorbin likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:19 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcorbin View Post
I'm kind of suspicious because we've had colder winters and the light never came on. I had a 2010 Insight and never had problems with it either.
Like most of us, your Z's never been this old before.

The system throws a code when there's something coming up out of specified range, and it needs the factory computer to read that to you. Of course, the challenge is finding a shop whose chimp can read the computer.

When you say, "Started normally", that means you didn't hear a conventional starter motor?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:39 AM

Garage
Dunno about the CR-Z but on my wife's 2003 Civic Hybrid the IMA battery failed twice, at about five year intervals. Yours is approaching that range; I'd have it in for a check.

In the driveway: 2015 CR-Z (manual); 2004 Honda ST1300 (motorcycle); 1998 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD (manual)
Gone and not forgiven: 2011 MINI Clubman (manual)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:27 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandCRZ View Post
Dunno about the CR-Z but on my wife's 2003 Civic Hybrid the IMA battery failed twice, at about five year intervals. Yours is approaching that range; I'd have it in for a check.
I got twelve years out of the IMA on my 2002 Insight before the IMA light came on. There's no telling how long they'll last, but when you get that IMA light, take it to the Dealer to check the IMA codes if you don't have a scanner that reads them (some scanners don't access IMA codes.) They may charge you something around $100 for the check-up, and credit that amount if you end up getting the service done there.
jtcorbin likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode