Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

2018 Honda Accord Kills the V6, Adds Type R Engine

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  96firephoenix 
#1 ·
<span lang="EN-US"></span>

<span lang="EN-US">The 10th generation of Honda’s venerable Accord will debut for 2018 without a V6 engine option.

A few months later to the all-new midsize party than the next-generation 2018 Toyota Camry, the new Accord will not follow the Camry’s entrenched path of providing customers with a base four-cylinder and a V6 upgrade.</span>

<span lang="EN-US">Read more about the 2018 Honda Accord at AutoGuide.com.</span>

See less See more
#2 ·
What, the turbo is supposed to be a big, secret surprise?

Some just can't understand the number of cylinders doesn't mean sh|t-all. The Offenhauser ruled Indy for fifty years with four cylinders, a turbo, and fifteen-hundred horsepower- out of a two-liter (120 c.i.).

Despite the camo paint, I see they didn't cut back on the ugly at all. The paint may even be helping. The thing looks like an LST with a windshield.

#3 ·
Some just can't understand the number of cylinders doesn't mean sh|t-all.
It does help the smoothness of the power and the balance of the engine. I've driven 4, 5, 6, and 8 cylinder engines all in the same 180-200hp range, and the V8s are definitely the smoothest running, with the most gradual introduction of power, where the I-4s and Boxter-4s seem to step into it more than roll into it.

I understand there's all sorts of other factors like OHC vs push-rod, VCT or not, but generally more cylinders = smoother ride and smoother power.

#4 ·
I've never much developed an ear for different engine configurations, even for things so severe as the Harley V-twin. A few configurations are "just right" -the straight six, for one. Flat-fours are close, but there's the trouble with the big ends having to be offset. The flat-6 is supposed to be right, and then when the manufacturers start adding balancing shafts, all bets are off.

And then there's the W-12. Ooof.

#5 ·
A few configurations are "just right" -the straight six, for one. Flat-fours are close, but there's the trouble with the big ends having to be offset. The flat-6 is supposed to be right, and then when the manufacturers start adding balancing shafts, all bets are off.

And then there's the W-12. Ooof.
I'm with you on the Straight 6. I think that or a straight 5 is probably the best mix of compact packaging, smoothness, and power. Throw a turbo on there for efficiency and added power, and you've got an all-around winner.

I'm not such a fan of the flat 4... i've never driven a flat 6 (porsche?)

W12? I assume you're talking about your old Phaeton with the twin VR6 engines lashed to a single crank?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.