Anti theft light on non navigation models - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Koala Yummies
  • 3 Post By Jun Jun
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Jun Jun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 29
Anti theft light on non navigation models

I have a very unfortunate event that happened to me last night. My crz was stolen! Since I bought my car used how would I know if a lowjack anti theft system was installed by the first buyer? The only information I know is that there is a red flashing light on the radio system and right under it I remember reading anti theft. It flashes and I only notice it when the car is shut off and locked. Any help from anyone I'm so pissed off. Btw my crz happened to get stolen due to the fact that I had a spare key that I left in my gym bag and just never took it out when I purchased the car. Im assuming they saw my gym bag in my back cubbies even though my windows are tinted and got lucky finding my spare key.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Jun Jun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 06:16 AM
Super Duper Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun Jun View Post
I have a very unfortunate event that happened to me last night. My crz was stolen! Since I bought my car used how would I know if a lowjack anti theft system was installed by the first buyer? The only information I know is that there is a red flashing light on the radio system and right under it I remember reading anti theft. It flashes and I only notice it when the car is shut off and locked. Any help from anyone I'm so pissed off. Btw my crz happened to get stolen due to the fact that I had a spare key that I left in my gym bag and just never took it out when I purchased the car. Im assuming they saw my gym bag in my back cubbies even though my windows are tinted and got lucky finding my spare key.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
I am so sorry to hear this. I hope it is recovered soon. There is no way to know but from the factory the anti theft system is the chip in the key nothing else. The light under the radio is for the radio only it refers to the code that everyone leaves in their car any way.
Spdbump is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Super Duper Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun Jun View Post
I have a very unfortunate event that happened to me last night. My crz was stolen! Since I bought my car used how would I know if a lowjack anti theft system was installed by the first buyer?
You wouldn't know unless the previous owner told you it was installed or you happen to see it while digging around through the vehicle like taking interior panels off. A regular anti-theft system wouldn't have prevented this theft due to you leaving the key in the vehicle.

And lojack is a rather rare system and the way it operates requires that the company be called and the vehicle reported as stolen to activate the code for that vehicle's lojack. The lojack system is then updated to show the stolen vehicles lowjack transmitter and a police vehicle with lowjack receiver (not every cop car has them) has to get within a few miles of it to even be alerted. Then they have to drive around listening to the signal to try and locate where the vehicle is. The system is only operable in 29 US states and 30 countries. If it was the be-all end-all to auto-theft then the company would have more than 133 million in revenue, they'd be in every state and more countries, they'd have recovered significantly more than 300,000 vehicles in 30 years and there would be many more systems installed.

You could call lojack and see if the VIN was registered but its doubtful. If the thieves were actually smart, then they probably wouldn't pick the CR-Z, but if they are and not just opportunistic then they would already be tearing the vehicle down and thus noticed and disabled that system in the process. Or they're just opportunistic, committed their crime in the vehicle and have or are about to dump it somewhere. Or they're stupid and they're still driving around in it. If your area has automatic license plate recognition used by police service then there is some hope. If they swapped plates and or no ALPR then it could be a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun Jun View Post
The only information I know is that there is a red flashing light on the radio system and right under it I remember reading anti theft. It flashes and I only notice it when the car is shut off and locked. Any help from anyone I'm so pissed off. Btw my crz happened to get stolen due to the fact that I had a spare key that I left in my gym bag and just never took it out when I purchased the car. Im assuming they saw my gym bag in my back cubbies even though my windows are tinted and got lucky finding my spare key.
As Spdbump noted the anti-theft radio light is just a radio lockout that makes it more difficult to use without the code, some dealerships stick the radio code sticker somewhere inside the vehicle or owners leave it in the owners manual or glovebox thus negating the protection. It only locks out the radio to prevent smash-and-grab style quick radio theft for re-sale.

The other anti-theft light is in the gauge cluster and just indicates that the car is locked and the doors will alarm if opened without being properly un-locked. Easily and quickly defeated by smashing window, popping hood and disconnecting the battery.

The first rule of auto theft prevention is don't leave the key in the vehicle.
Defiant likes this.
Koala Yummies is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Jun Jun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies View Post
You wouldn't know unless the previous owner told you it was installed or you happen to see it while digging around through the vehicle like taking interior panels off. A regular anti-theft system wouldn't have prevented this theft due to you leaving the key in the vehicle.

And lojack is a rather rare system and the way it operates requires that the company be called and the vehicle reported as stolen to activate the code for that vehicle's lojack. The lojack system is then updated to show the stolen vehicles lowjack transmitter and a police vehicle with lowjack receiver (not every cop car has them) has to get within a few miles of it to even be alerted. Then they have to drive around listening to the signal to try and locate where the vehicle is. The system is only operable in 29 US states and 30 countries. If it was the be-all end-all to auto-theft then the company would have more than 133 million in revenue, they'd be in every state and more countries, they'd have recovered significantly more than 300,000 vehicles in 30 years and there would be many more systems installed.

You could call lojack and see if the VIN was registered but its doubtful. If the thieves were actually smart, then they probably wouldn't pick the CR-Z, but if they are and not just opportunistic then they would already be tearing the vehicle down and thus noticed and disabled that system in the process. Or they're just opportunistic, committed their crime in the vehicle and have or are about to dump it somewhere. Or they're stupid and they're still driving around in it. If your area has automatic license plate recognition used by police service then there is some hope. If they swapped plates and or no ALPR then it could be a while.



As Spdbump noted the anti-theft radio light is just a radio lockout that makes it more difficult to use without the code, some dealerships stick the radio code sticker somewhere inside the vehicle or owners leave it in the owners manual or glovebox thus negating the protection. It only locks out the radio to prevent smash-and-grab style quick radio theft for re-sale.

The other anti-theft light is in the gauge cluster and just indicates that the car is locked and the doors will alarm if opened without being properly un-locked. Easily and quickly defeated by smashing window, popping hood and disconnecting the battery.

The first rule of auto theft prevention is don't leave the key in the vehicle.
Thanks I will need to call and at least try. Thanks for the good info


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
I am so sorry to hear this. I hope it is recovered soon. There is no way to know but from the factory the anti theft system is the chip in the key nothing else. The light under the radio is for the radio only it refers to the code that everyone leaves in their car any way.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Jun Jun is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 06:58 PM
Super Duper Member
 
Defiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: glorious Galt CA
Posts: 1,526
Garage
Adding a bit to Koala's good info~

LoJack is on the decline. How they got started in the first place is a bit of a mystery to me, as their system is activated when a police agency enters the car's VIN into the National Crime Information Computer. NCIC is where stolen information is sent nationwide, and it's a confidential system. How LoJack, which started in Boston, got the grease to have access to that system is a question I've never had answered.

Essentially, it's a Citizen's Band Radio, with a similar eight-mile range. We were monitoring it for a few years at the CHP, but gave up on it about five years ago. The units that are equipped to pick up the LoJack signal have an array of four foot-tall antennae on the roof, arranged in about a square-foot pattern. Inside the unit is a crude display with eight segments in a circle and a bar in the center with an equally crude arrowhead which points in one of the directions, more-or-less. Think 1980's ASCII graphics. When the system receives a LoJack signal, the display (it isn't even LED, but neon-segment) points toward the closest segment relative to the cop car, and displays a code number which dispatch enters in to a specific NCIC screen and returns the vehicle information, and the fox hunt is on. I think in my twenty-five years in dispatch, we'd recovered fifty or fewer LoJack vehicles. One of our troubles with the system was that if the car had been towed, and LoJack hadn't been notified (they have to turn off the system in the car, we had no access to do that), the locator would keep happily broadcasting from the tow yard.
LoJack did a good job on their installations, and it took a very thorough or informed search to find the unit in the car. They have their own batteries, so disconnecting the electrical system doesn't disable them.
The OnSt*r system works a bit better, through cellular. Happily, cell phones are killing that as well. Like the moronic Call Box system.
Yes, license plate readers are coming on more and more. They cause countless donuts to be dropped.

If your car had LoJack, you'd not know about it if it didn't have a sticker. Finding out from LoJack if it has one would not be revealed by LoJack. We only found out if a stolen car was equipped when the alarm went off.
Defiant is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Jun Jun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 29
Happy to announce that my car has been found. Good thing the thief was too nervous to take any car parts out. I was worried about my hpd exhaust the whole time. LoJack could not verify to me if my car had it. The police department had to call them.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Eagle_f90, litz and Spdbump like this.
Jun Jun is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:07 AM
Super Duper Member
 
Defiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: glorious Galt CA
Posts: 1,526
Garage
Congratulations! Usually the thieves around here torch the car. Like my Supra.
Defiant is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome