Honda CR-Z Takata Airbag Recall - Page 2 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 199Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 1106 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:05 AM
Super Duper Member

Takata should be dissolved, since so many automobile manufacturers relied on them to make their airbags and they screwed up so incredibly bad all their R&D, technology and manufacturing should released to all the manufacturers. Let the employees who didn't have a major hand in the mess up and cover up be consultants or full time employees at the manufacturers and have each automobile manufacturer make the airbags themselves. That way they can't put stipulations demanding that products be rushed to meet their assembly line deadlines cutting corners and jeopardizing quality control and ultimately safety nor can they point the finger at someone else. If I was CEO of Honda or any of the Japanese Keiretsu I would be pursuing this as a top priority. Cut out the inadequate incompetent deceitful middle man and take responsibility for the demands that helped compound the issue.

Airbags are about safety, not deadlines or loyalty, monopolies or profit. Or at least they should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 1106 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 07:30 AM
@ the speed of white

Garage
↑↑↑Yeah Koala, I don't see how Takeda will survive this one, but no matter how many car manufacturers were demanding to get their parts on time, it clearly looks like Takeda forgot the purpose of the part in the first place--for safety!

If that CYA mentality is happening at Honda too, there should be some heads rolling there as well. I'm not even going to start ranting about the government edict that makes it illegal to make airbags--or an on/off switch--just an option.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #13 of 1106 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 PM

Garage
Against all intelligent advice, I would remove or unplug the airbag. it is a standard Honda connection for the airbag, so you could go junkyard a civic steering wheel and hook that up until the parts become available for the recall.

In doing this you wouldn't have steering wheel controls and it wouldn't match styles, but it would work and be SAFE.

post #14 of 1106 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 08:36 PM

Is China's car included?
post #15 of 1106 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 04:51 PM

Garage
I checked the VIN for my CR-Z on the recall site today and here is the wording regarding the recall for those who are interested:

Year: 2011Make: HondaModel: CR-ZLast Updated: Feb 14, 2016
Number of Open Recalls: 1
Takata Driver Airbag Inflator
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: 16V-061
MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JY1
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: Takata Driver Airbag Inflator
RECALL DATE: 02/12/2016
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.
SUMMARY:
SPECIFICALLY, IN SOME VEHICLES, THE DRIVER'S FRONT AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD PRODUCE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE UPON DEPLOYMENT. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE (BREAK APART) AND DEPLOY ABNORMALLY.

SAFETY RISK:
IN THE EVENT OF AN INFLATOR RUPTURE, METAL FRAGMENTS COULD PASS THROUGH THE AIRBAG CUSHION MATERIAL POSSIBLY CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY OR FATALITY TO YOU OR OTHERS IN THE VEHICLE. PAST RUPTURES LIKE THIS HAVE KILLED AND INJURED VEHICLE DRIVERS.

REMEDY:
THE REMEDY PARTS NEEDED TO CONDUCT DRIVER'S AIRBAG INFLATOR RECALLS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE IN SUMMER OF 2016. HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS IN A N INITIAL LETTER WITH A SECOND LETTER BEING MAILED WHEN PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. PLEASE DISCUSS YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND CONCERNS WITH YOUR DEALER, INCLUDING THE PROVISION OF, OR REIMBURSEMENT FOR, TEMPORARY ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION AS NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA'S AUTOMOBILE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-888-234-2138. HONDA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JY1.

2011 Milano Red CR-Z EX 6spd manual
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2015 Subaru Outback
post #16 of 1106 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 04:23 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

Yeh, reassuring. You may be killed, good luck. We're still counting on your payments.

When this kind of crap reaches all the way up to Honda, we know the collapse is upon us.
post #17 of 1106 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:52 PM

This is what it says about the 'remedy'. Coming summer 2016 it seems..
---------------------------------------------------------------------
REMEDY:

THE REMEDY PARTS NEEDED TO CONDUCT DRIVER'S AIRBAG INFLATOR RECALLS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE IN SUMMER OF 2016. HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS IN A N INITIAL LETTER WITH A SECOND LETTER BEING MAILED WHEN PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. PLEASE DISCUSS YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND CONCERNS WITH YOUR DEALER, INCLUDING THE PROVISION OF, OR REIMBURSEMENT FOR, TEMPORARY ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION AS NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA'S AUTOMOBILE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-888-234-2138. HONDA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JY1.
post #18 of 1106 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 12:45 PM

I checked with Stokes Honda North here in SC, and confirmed that my 2011 base 6MT CR-Z is part of the recall. They weren't able to give me much info, but I did get them to schedule my fix, or at least create a floating "appointment" until they can actually get the part. I felt it was very important to get that in writing, so that I had proof I had tried to get it fixed, and was turned down (for the time being).

I also asked about a replacement vehicle, and was told that there were no loaners, only rentals. They let me drive off, after knowing my car was potentially unsafe.

When I got home, I called the number on the Honda Owner's Site (1-888-234-2138), and spoke with a rep named "Geneva". She again confirmed that my car is under the recall. I asked her if I should continue driving it, or not, and she replied, "Whichever makes you feel safer."

I then referenced the notice on the Honda Owners Site, which includes this language:

"Our Priorities

In addressing the Takata airbag inflator issue, our priorities are:

1) Informing all owners affected by these recalls and encouraging them to contact an authorized dealer to schedule a repair.
2) Increasing the supply of replacement airbag inflators in order to accelerate the pace of repairs.
3) Working with our dealers to ensure a positive experience for our customers throughout the entire process of scheduling and completing each repair – including making available a loaner or rental vehicle if there is any wait for the required repairs.
"

and this:

"Dealer Repair & Rental Policy, and Support
Authorized Honda and Acura dealerships will make appropriate repairs at no charge to the customer. If an owner requests alternative transportation while awaiting repair, while the repair is in progress, or if there is a delay in repairing an affected vehicle, Honda and Acura dealers are authorized to provide a free loaner or rental vehicle.

Honda has made changes to corporate policies concerning loaner and rental vehicles to ensure a seamless customer experience. For example, dealers may now loan vehicles to teenage drivers, who are generally prohibited from renting or borrowing vehicles due to insurance policies. Honda has also increased associated reimbursement rates to dealers, and empowered them to loan and rent vehicles to affected customers without seeking pre-approval from Honda.

"Geneva", the phone rep, then told me that in order to get a loaner car, my case would have to escalated to a "Rental Assistance Liason" officer. I asked to go ahead and escalate my case, and I am now waiting to hear back...

"John", my Case Manager, called back from American Honda. He stated that Honda will provide a loaner a no charge, and asked which dealership I'd like to work with. He then contacted the dealership, and the service department there (who previously told me there were no loaners) set me up for an appointment to pick up a rental (at no charge) tomorrow morning.
post #19 of 1106 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripleblaze View Post
I checked the VIN for my CR-Z on the recall site today and here is the wording regarding the recall for those who are interested:
Thanks for sharing that with us, good looking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

Yeh, reassuring. You may be killed, good luck. We're still counting on your payments.

When this kind of crap reaches all the way up to Honda, we know the collapse is upon us.
LOL! I could not have possibly said it better.
post #20 of 1106 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letstakeawalk View Post
Post #18
This whole thing leaves a worse and worse feeling with each additional bit of information. I've been a Honda owner for nearly 15 years, many of my family and friends have gone with Honda because of my fondness of the affordable utilitarian nature of Honda, I know this affects way more manufacturers than Honda but the way they're dealing with it is unacceptable.

"Some have compared driving with airbags made by Takata to driving with a loaded gun pointed at your chest." [buckshot to the face really]
Should you disable your recalled airbag? Takata says it will take years to replace them - WXYZ.com

"Some critics will say that turning off airbags puts drivers and passengers at risk of death. But that perpetuates a gross misunderstanding of the role of airbags. In fact, this crisis is an opportunity to educate the public about the realities of vehicle safety.

Front airbags never were intended to be the primary safety device for saving people's lives. They are a secondary defense.

Simply put, seat belts save lives. Front airbags reduce drivers' and passengers' injuries and lacerations.

Ideally, the two work together, with the seat belt positioning the individual so that the airbag can be most effective. But seat belts come first.

With Takata's flawed airbags putting people at risk, though, it's time to turn off that risk and go back to relying on seat belts as the acknowledged primary defense."
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...called-airbags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode