Honda CR-Z Takata Airbag Recall - Page 101 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 199Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1001 of 1106 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:36 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
Did anyone else see this article and get a bit nervous even after repair?.....
I'd not seen it, but I don't see it as being anything to get nervous about. Airbags are bombs, after all, and that a load of them dropped on a house by a (drowsy? drunk? ignorant?) truck driver is only another of heaven's mysteries. That they would hurt or kill someone seems inescapable. I have no clue of how fast and loose Texas may or may not play their hazmat rules enforcement, and transit thereof.

But to me, the entire idea of using localized explosives to "protect" people seems inane to begin with. I won't inflict my vitriol at the very concept of airbags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1002 of 1106 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 08:13 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
That's what I wonder, although I've not found evidence and the car has no odd characteristics. Of course the CarFax was clean, but so's my bum first thing after a shower. I only found out when a local git thought that throwing rocks at cars would get them to stop so he could ask for a ride- welcome to the hinterlands. Ensuing paperwork was honestly the only reason I didn't run him down and kill him on the spot- it's too fussy to get away with anymore. When the boys at Safelite were doing their epoxy magic, I noticed the branding on the corner of the windshield wasn't Honda, but Pittsburgh Glass or whoever, the main after-market glass supplier. I had Safelite check, no Z windscreens were available in the country at the time. Also, with polaroid sunglasses, there are scrapes and abrasions visible on the dash plastic which are invisible to the naked eye. Whether they're from someone using the car as a moving van, a result of the windshield replacement, or screwing in the car I have no way of telling. No overspray, mis-alignments, missing fasteners or other clues seen. And luckily, the current windshield bull's eye is out of view from inside, behind the mirror. I work at not dwelling on it.
It is too bad the dash has damage from the windshield replacement and it is not an OEM windshield. I had major issues with Safelite on a previous car and the only solution was to go somewhere else and get an OEM windshield but that car had a Heads Up Display. The Safelite there was incompetent( lots of leaks and damaged trim). My father in another location also had issues with Safelite. Hopefully they have improved their training.

My previous car that I sold to Carmax when they looked it up in what ever system they use it showed no accidents. I know for a fact there were claims against the car so it all depends on whether the insurance company reports to the main databases or not. I doubt Carfax is accurate for any car but if it shows a lot of accidents I would walk away but don't believe if it is clean the car is definitely clean.
post #1003 of 1106 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 12:16 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
It is too bad the dash has damage from the windshield replacement
Not really what I'd call "damage", just some scuffs that can't normally be seen. I'm confident some 303 will "heal" them, but sorry to say that all I've done with this car is keep it clean, obey the Service Messages, and DRIVE it. I hope to detail it before I do a trade-in. Real soon now.
Quote:
and it is not an OEM windshield.
Yeah, that irked me a little, and removed the last vestiges of respect I had for CarFax, as though that stupid beady-eyed puppet in their commercials hadn't been enough. I can't envision a windshield job not showing up- the Safelite guess at a price was on the order of $800 for an original, and I doubt anyone has that kind of no-copay coverage.
Quote:
I had major issues with Safelite on a previous car and the only solution was to go somewhere else and get an OEM windshield but that car had a Heads Up Display.
Oh, yeah. Ironically, the last straw for giving up on the Phaeton and getting the Z was when I came out one day to find it had a crack across the windshield like a stinking Chevy pickup. The W/S job on the VW is $5K, and entails headliner removal. After taking out the seats. Still, better than the world-market versions which have a heated windshield, which runs a thousand watts through it, I suppose.
Quote:
The Safelite there was incompetent( lots of leaks and damaged trim). My father in another location also had issues with Safelite. Hopefully they have improved their training.
I've done windshields on a couple of cars, but just the old gasket-and-bead method from the old days, none of this modern glue-in, part-of-the-chassis stuff. Only another facet of current automotive technology I'd never want to deal with. The guys at the Safelite shop in Stockton seemed pretty good, and let me vulture over them as they worked. It's held up for over two years, knock on wood.

Quote:
My previous car that I sold to Carmax when they looked it up in what ever system they use it showed no accidents. I know for a fact there were claims against the car so it all depends on whether the insurance company reports to the main databases or not. I doubt Carfax is accurate for any car but if it shows a lot of accidents I would walk away but don't believe if it is clean the car is definitely clean.
Yeah, the whole current car business is as shady as the cars are good. In deeper research I'd found mine had ping-ponged around at least three local dealerships before the one I got it from. But if it has any hidden flaws, they've remained hidden.

post #1004 of 1106 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 07:32 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Not really what I'd call "damage", just some scuffs that can't normally be seen. I'm confident some 303 will "heal" them, but sorry to say that all I've done with this car is keep it clean, obey the Service Messages, and DRIVE it. I hope to detail it before I do a trade-in. Real soon now.
What changes in your life or what issues are you having where you are thinking of trading it in?

Just being nosey
post #1005 of 1106 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:46 AM

In case anyone is need of the steering wheel garnish, I've posted my brand new one for sale in the classifieds section. Sold!.
post #1006 of 1106 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
What changes in your life or what issues are you having where you are thinking of trading it in?

Just being nosey
I don't mind. The Z is the first car I've financed, and it's probably just getting to tipping the owed/worth balance, and I was mightily impressed with the new Civic. If I were to find a lease-return 2-door, I'd be tempted..... although despite being much more powerful yet even lighter on fuel use, the Civic just didn't have the Z's road feel. Then again, the Kia's have an option list that crowds the Phaeton's.... ah, the choices.
post #1007 of 1106 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
I don't mind. The Z is the first car I've financed, and it's probably just getting to tipping the owed/worth balance, and I was mightily impressed with the new Civic. If I were to find a lease-return 2-door, I'd be tempted..... although despite being much more powerful yet even lighter on fuel use, the Civic just didn't have the Z's road feel. Then again, the Kia's have an option list that crowds the Phaeton's.... ah, the choices.
I tend to keep mine till there is no loan or value left. My new rule is to replace cars when the repairs cost more than the car payment( for the replacement). I kept the last car 1 year too long. The good news is you are not forced to shop under pressure because current vehicle is unreliable.

Thank you for sharing!
Defiant likes this.
post #1008 of 1106 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 07:40 PM

Garage
I checked the value on my 2011 Z this morning, just for grins, and it was around 9500 or so. It's got a lot of life left in it, and I do love the little bugger. A new STI sedan is the only replacement I'd consider, but for the money, this car is finally paying for itself But STI. But free car. But...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
supercrz likes this.
post #1009 of 1106 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 03:04 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Once you get the likes for a car, you might as well relax and let it happen. Otherwise it'll nettle you worse than a hangnail.

I'd wanted a WRX, but was never near being able to afford it. Then I saw them do a clutch job on that English show where they buy used cars..... holy yipes.

I'm still a bit miffed to find out I can't sit in a Miata retractible hardtop with the roof up. Dammit.
post #1010 of 1106 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 08:05 AM

I finally got over to the dealer to put my name on the airbag waiting list. Service guy wouldn't even hazard a guess as to when I'd be getting a phone call.

And since we're discussing other cars, I'll throw in my current crush: Focus RS... drool....

2012 6MT HPD Supercharged
My build thread: HPD CR-Z 002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode