Coilover/Spring Comparison and Pictures - Page 17 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 09:09 PM

^B-rad was running them.
Can find a pic in his build thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
I was unable to find the spring rates for the d2 rs setup so in case anyone was wondering I just got off the phone with one of the techs and its 6.7 kg/whatever up front and 4.2kg/whatever out back. 100% positive on my recall for the front and 80% positive for the rear becuz he was like "6.7 in front and 5.2 in back ohhh wait actually im sorry thats 4..."??? And now by the time im here im like wait was it 4.6 maybe? Idk the takeaway is that ots less than 5 but more than 4 and that I am 100% positive lol sorry for the lack of confidence in that figure but I have no reason to call them back so if anyone cares that much about a 0.4kg/whatever dofference feel free to call him back. The end
post #163 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
When it says "adjustability," is that the dampening or height?

Can the height be adjusted without replacing parts and without re-alignment on aftermarket coilovers? Which ones? How do I tell?

Kinda new to aftermarket coilovers and their specs...

"Answers are easy, it's asking the right questions that is hard." -Third Doctor
Leitz's Build Thread|CBP 6MT EX '11

post #164 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 07:19 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
When it says "adjustability," is that the dampening or height?

Can the height be adjusted without replacing parts and without re-alignment on aftermarket coilovers? Which ones? How do I tell?

Kinda new to aftermarket coilovers and their specs...
if ur talking about 32 way adjustable something like that i think its in reference to dampening.

your height adjustment question is a bit vague (or im just being an insomniatic zombie right now) but with most coilovers for the crz you will re use a good portion of the top parts of your stock suspension.

will you NEED an alignment? i mean thats kinda subjective but generally i would say yes.

(2nd attempt to answer arguably vague question) once you have your coilovers installed you can adjust however you wish, and at that point you will not need to replace anything anymore, but it will generally affect your alignment everytime, even if only a bit.

some coilovers are only height adjustable. typically these will cost less and you wont see the 16/32 way adjustability in the specs. if youre only concerned about looks this may be an option for you.
you can also consider lowering springs, but i wud recommend combining with an aftermarket shock/strut that can support them. this can also be an affordable route especially if u catch some used springs for 100-200 bux or so.

finally a 3rd but smartass way to answer your vague question of can height be adjusted without replacing parts. technically yes, the stock springs can be heated or cut, but this is ghetto/stupid and I in no way support this.
post #165 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytwozero View Post
will you NEED an alignment? i mean thats kinda subjective but generally i would say yes.

(2nd attempt to answer arguably vague question) once you have your coilovers installed you can adjust however you wish, and at that point you will not need to replace anything anymore, but it will generally affect your alignment everytime, even if only a bit.
Yea, I knew that after I got new coilovers I would need to get an alignment. However, if (for example) I raise the car back up for the winter, would I have to get another alignment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytwozero View Post
... if youre only concerned about looks this may be an option for you.
you can also consider lowering springs, but i wud recommend combining with an aftermarket shock/strut that can support them. this can also be an affordable route especially if u catch some used springs for 100-200 bux or so.
From what I've read, lowering springs will make the OEM shocks wear faster, since I drive 22k miles a year it probably isn't the best way to go. I'd rather spend the extra 400-600 extra $ and get more reliable coilovers.

Lastly, I like the drive comfort, but wouldn't mind changing the dampening sometimes as well. Could you recommend a "good" set of coilovers that can adjust the height from 0.5" to 2.0" (or so from stock height) and (not track stiff, but slightly more that OEM) dampening, also a set similar but without dampening.

"Answers are easy, it's asking the right questions that is hard." -Third Doctor
Leitz's Build Thread|CBP 6MT EX '11
post #166 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 05:50 PM

Garage
anytime you make drastic changes to ride height, you want to consider an alignment. even if you car still tracks straight, the toe in/out changes drastically and can affect your mileage and handling characteristics.

also, for those in colder climates or anywhere subject to more moisture and salt. you want to check and clean the threads periodically to prevent seizing. many new coilovers have a teflon coating to prevent this, but i still do this out of habit, and to make sure no settings have changed.

if you're not looking for a jarring hard ride, look into the RS*R coilovers. it's their sports-i line which is mid-way between a street and weekend track coilover. very OE quality. they service them in the US. i've had them for a year now and love them.

near stock damping (soft) to rock hard for the track if you wish, 36-way. independent ride height adjustability within the range you specified. softer spring than most competitors so it's not as harsh for a street setup. but for full track setup i'd opt for stiffer springs or go tein monoflex which is about the same amount of money.

they also have lowering springs.

link here for both

the one downside, if there's any. the front shock has a short stroke. if you have particularly bad roads, you can bottom out on the bumpstops if you run a softer damper setting than RS-R recommends (re-uses stock bumpstops so they're nice and cushy if you hit them). you'll only notice if you hit a massive pothole or hit large speed bumps. not sure if other coilovers run a similar setup.
post #167 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 PM

Anyone have a pic of a crz on USDM HPD springs / struts?

Anyone have these?

I like the idea of a minimal 10mm drop and stiffer springs. Be good for the north east bumpy roads!
post #168 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 10:44 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1giPhux View Post

Anyone have these?

I like the idea of a minimal 10mm drop and stiffer springs. Be good for the north east bumpy roads!
Check Varmint's build thread
How to Ruin a Perfectly Good CBP

Follow me on Instagram: @bzrollin
My interior-centricly accessorized CR-Z
post #169 of 169 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 08:53 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1giPhux View Post

Anyone have these?

Yes, I got the HPD suspension specifically because they offered a relatively small drop. Plus a bunch of other reasons.

I love the suspension during the spring, summer, and fall. It greatly improves the stability of the car and keep your wheels planted in the corners. I think HPD did a fantastic job of building a sport-tuned system that may be lived with in a daily driver.

That said, the stiffness was punishing this winter. With the extreme weather we got in New England some of my local roads have turned into mogul fields. My head has bounced off the roof liner more than a few times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode