Battery problem when radio is on with ignition in accessory position - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Battery problem when radio is on with ignition in accessory position

Hi Everyone

I have had a problem a couple of times now while when the radio is on with ignition in accessory position. After 15 to 20 minutes then trying to start the car there is not enough juice to start it. The first time I had the ABS warning come up and would not turn over and the other the Radio turned off with no warnings trying to start it... it just clicked and no start.

To me the IMA battery seems not to be being used and I connect my little starter pack to the battery in the engine bay and it starts up no problem.

Why isn't the IMA helping to support the small engine bay battery when in these situations. The little 12V battery I think I need to get checked as it must be on it's way out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:14 AM
Super Duper Member

Lightbulb

A sure sign the under hood battery needs at minimum a load test (with Car Not Running!). Or if more than 2 years old or is original with Eye just replace it.
DazGizmo likes this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:06 AM

Garage
Yep just like speed bump said, because if you cant listen to the radio for 15 minutes without the battery dying it's no bueno.
DazGizmo likes this.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:06 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen a couple of posts on the forum that state you can "charge the 12v from the IMA using ACC position," [EDIT] but it's a very slow, trickle charge. [END EDIT] providing that you have all other accessories turned off--no lights, no radio, no fan blower, etc. If so, it may be the case that listening to the radio while key is in ACC position is draining the 12v battery prematurely, if you have some other power draining things running at the same time, and making sure the fan blower and other things are turned off, will provide enough power for radio use only.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread
Sprintex | Mugen | Takeda | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

Last edited by litz; 04-16-2017 at 12:08 PM. Reason: added info
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:50 PM
Super Duper Member

The IMA/high voltage battery is not used in the ACC key position. The IMA battery is only on if the gauge cluster showing the IMA bar gauge is on. When in ACC is it solely running off the 12V.

15-20 min is about all you'd want to do on the 12V alone with engine off anyway, on any car otherwise you're pushing your luck.

Even with the IMA on, (and you can test this) go drive, stop and leave it in auto-stop with the key in ignition-on (but with engine in auto-stop). Now all power is being supplied by the IMA battery and you'll have about the same 15-20 minutes of engine-off radio time until the IMA drains and a message comes up on the display telling you to start the engine to charge the IMA.
litz and Spdbump like this.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:31 PM
Super Duper Member

We have retained accessory power if you take the key out but do not open the door then the accessories stay on for 15 minutes. What I don't know is if this has less circuits on than when in the accessory 1 position or if it monitors the under hood battery.

Warning Do not run the battery dead( or very low) too often this can cause cells to reverse polarity or die.

If you do this often you can get a "Charge Guard" device ( I have mentioned these before) they monitor the battery and if the voltage goes below a set point it disconnects the battery and you have to "do something" to start the car either turn on and off a circuit or push a button on the device under the hood.

But it makes sure you can always start.

Our cars will not start with a dead (or very low voltage) under hood battery. You need a minimum voltage to activate the IMA or "emergency" starter.

My original advice still stands Load test that battery ASAP!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:59 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
We have retained accessory power if you take the key out but do not open the door then the accessories stay on for 15 minutes. What I don't know is if this has less circuits on than when in the accessory 1 position or if it monitors the under hood battery.
I know that some of the open accessory fuse slots (charliesheenwinning thread) remain hot during that period you speak of, when the key is removed but doors not open and then they cut off as soon as the door is opened.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:29 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies View Post
I know that some of the open accessory fuse slots (charliesheenwinning thread) remain hot during that period you speak of, when the key is removed but doors not open and then they cut off as soon as the door is opened.
Are they also active when Key is in Accessory 1 position but still in? I was trying to find out if same circuits or less circuits are on between Accessory 1 key in and retained accessory power when key is out but doors are closed. I hope this clears up what I was thinking. If you are in doors closed key in I know it times out after 15 minutes. I was hoping it would time out sooner if battery was in trouble kind of like having a "charge guard", But I doubt that.

I am just curious.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Getting the car booked in with Honda Nottingham. Quoted 95.00 for a replacement battery and 265.00 for a Honda 12+ Service.

I am curious about all this as I do not get any warning lights regarding the 12V battery. I have had the "ABS warning" and "Check System" warning but never a "Charge the IMA".

I also made a video as I could hear a high pitched buzzing like a fuel pump or something with the bonnet up and engine off.

The Battery indicator is confusing... does not really show blue outside the red bit in the inspection port.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies View Post
Radio does not play in my 2013 EX with key out doors not opened. Windows still work though. To play radio I have to be key in and accessory 1 position. I tested today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode