Hybrid Battery Warranty??? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

Go Back   Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums > Honda CR-Z: General > General Discussion

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Garage
Default Hybrid Battery Warranty???

Under another forum topic, a new CRZ owner has posted that it reads in the warranty booklet that the Hybrid battery is only fully warranted for 3 years and starting on the first day of year 3, the battery warranty becomes prorated and does not include installation.

If this is indeed true I think I will be canceling my CRZ order.

Up until now, it seemed that Honda has been pretty generous about hybrid battery replacement. I know one original Insight owner, here in Hawaii, who had her Hybrid battery changed out twice by Honda at no charge. That kind of warranty gave the to confidence to buy a hybrid without fear of high battery replacement costs down the road. I also know that Honda has replaced tons of Civic Hybrid batteries in the past couple years at no charge to customers. I am afraid that they might have seen the costs of their old warranty and have changed their policy.

Can other US owners carefully read their warranty booklets and report if this prorating policy for battery replacement is indeed true?
TCroly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Duper Member

Garage

I posted in the other thread but my Civic Hybrid has no such clause in manual.

I would head to a dealer and ask to read thru a manual for a car on the lot, if cars are avaiable.
GoHuskies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you look on honda.com under warranties....it says 10yr/150k in CARB states (CA and a few others), 8yrs/100k in other states. I'll have to look at my warranty book later on.
fireballer44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballer44 View Post
If you look on honda.com under warranties....it says 10yr/150k in CARB states (CA and a few others), 8yrs/100k in other states. I'll have to look at my warranty book later on.
What it says specifically is:

3-Year/36,000-Mile Limited Warranty.
5-Year/60,000-Mile Limited Powertrain Warranty. Ordinary maintenance or adjustments, parts subject to normal wear and replacement, and certain items are excluded
Battery Limited Warranty[1] = 10 years/150,000 miles (AT-PZEV emissions rating). (CARB states)
Battery Limited Warranty = 8 years/100,000 miles (non-CARB states)

See your Honda dealer for the specific terms and conditions of the limited warranties.

[1] Battery pack limited warranty may vary. Please see your Honda dealer for details.

The key word being "Limited"

If the "limit" is a prorated amount that only covers the battery for 5% of the battery cost and no labor in the 8th year of service, then this would be a worthless warranty.

Please someone post what it states in your warranty booklets.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCroly View Post
If the "limit" is a prorated amount that only covers the battery for 5% in the 8th year if use then this is a worthless warranty.
Seems like whether the battery warranty, if limited = pro-rated, is "worthless" would depend on whether the the warranty from other car companies for electric-motor batteries is comparable or better.
David_PA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

The reference to the "Replacement Battery Limited Warranty" (page 32) says, "This warranty applies only to replacement batteries (OTHER THAN IMA BATTERIES) [emphasis added] purchased from a Honda dealer....."

That is the three year complete coverage warranty - to the regular car battery!!

The IMA battery is a separate warranty listed in the back under "Federal and California Emissions Warranties Parts List". That clearly shows the IMA batteries to be covered for 8 to 10 years - depending on state involved.

No need to panic!
SilverEXnavi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Duper Member

Garage

Thank you for posting some good facts to settle this
GoHuskies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

In the warranty book pg 25 is the info on IMA warranty. It basically says look in the back of the book. So if you look on the very last page...the IMA "Battery Assembly (including all internal components" is 8yr/100k or 10yr/150k depending on what state you are in.

EDIT: just realized someone else posted this info as I was typing it.
fireballer44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballer44 View Post
In the warranty book pg 25 is the info on IMA warranty. It basically says look in the back of the book. So if you look on the very last page...the IMA "Battery Assembly (including all internal components" is 8yr/100k or 10yr/150k depending on what state you are in.

EDIT: just realized someone else posted this info as I was typing it.

Don't worry about it - it has happened to me too! The important thing is to get the facts out there so people don't make decisions based on faulty information.

There is an excellent warranty for the IMA batteries!
SilverEXnavi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Garage

Thanks to those who researched this. It really gave me a scare when the new CRZ owner posted this information on the battery specifications section. He was absolutely sure the warranty was limited on the hybrid battery after 3 years.

But if I am understanding all of you who have looked this up, there is no such pro-rated limitation on the 8 (or 10) year IMA battery warranty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.