Will 2013 LED DRL headlights plug and play on a 2011 EX? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

Go Back   Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums > Honda CR-Z: Technical > Exterior Modifications

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Will 2013 LED DRL headlights plug and play on a 2011 EX?

I have searched a ton and can't find the answer! I noticed the new CR-Z EX has the (JDM) HID headlights with the row of LED's below them. This is the only thing that I do not like on my 2011 with the dimmed hi-beam light for the DRL - just looks like a dim bulb about to go out.
I checked a couple of Honda dealer parts guys and they don't know if they just plug up and go! The illustrations with the parts guides have all the exact same connectors, mounting and hid stuff as my 2011 EX headlights except for the headlight assembly themselves. And these are listed for $362 ($516 MSRP). Has anyone tried to plug a new LED headlight into a 2011 or 2012? I have the 2011 Helms manual and I know the problem may be in the MICU which controls all the lights. There is only 1 circuit to the high beams now for the 4 and 12 volt source which is controlled by the MICU.
Thanks for the help, this would be great if it would work.
oldfartinalude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Duper Member

Garage

hmm all the parts websites don't list the 2013 yet. so can't get a price quote or a diagram which would help show the differences.

and judging by your name you also own a Prelude? lol
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
CR-Z Forum Librarian

We've kind of been having this discussion on another thread:
LED light strip drl for headlights

But this a better place to continue it

Yes the parts numbers are available (see other thread, or I may copy them over).

I've got some more info, but nothing definitive...
Old 01-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
CR-Z Forum Librarian

2013 Headlight Schematics n(Courtesy of College Hills Honda):

2011 (probably 2012 too):

Parts for 2013 (from Hondapartscheap.com):
33101-SZT-A31 HEADLIGHT UNIT, R. 1 $514.60 $360.22
33151-SZT-A31 HEADLIGHT UNIT, L. 1 $514.60 $360.22
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/parts.../headlight-hid
College Hills is slightly more, but I would buy from him.
ALL the other part numbers in the 2013 headlight assembly for EX model are identical to those of the 2011 and 2012 EX.

(Can you tell, I'm thinking of doing this)?

So, if someone can figure out if they PHYSICALLY fit, since the new bumper is changed, and if the mounting and alignment holes are compatible, I'm game to try it.

What do the schematics tell you might need to be changed?
I'm no electronics expert.

Last edited by CR-Z Canadian; 01-25-2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Sorry to make you stand on your head to read the last image!
CR-Z Canadian is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deputy Forum Librarian

Any 2013 CRZ owner willing to voluteer to have their headlight unit be test fitted for this project?

For your FAQ's - ABC's for the CR-Z
supercrz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
BANNED

The only part of the bumper that changed is the bottom and the grille from what I could tell in my time with them. I'll look at the diagrams in a few and see what we have. I'm afraid the oldfart might be right about the controller.
OneFitZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
CR-Z Forum Librarian

Yes, OneFit, that is my biggest concern as well.
And what is the MICU - is that separate from the ECM, or a part of that?
I assume that is is separate, but what do I know?
And if it is, changing it out would probably just light up the dash with some other error.

But what would be the harm in having the high beams on low power AND the LED's light up as DRL's? Not as dramatic as just a strip of LED's, but I'm thinking it should work. Maybe???
Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
CORRUPT

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-Z Canadian View Post
2013 Headlight Schematics n(Courtesy of College Hills Honda):
I think this is the wrong diagram. The DRL or "position" light is probably on another page. It's only referred to in that one place in this diagram and it doesn't tell us anything about the circuit. Either way, I'd wait until the Helm manual comes out...

Also, luckily, you can buy the electrical connectors from Honda to wire them up.

[14] Connector, Waterproof (3p 090 F) (5 Pieces) 04321-SP0-306
[5] Sub-Cord (0.5) (10 Pieces) (Yellow) 04320-SP0-C00

Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cool Where is the icon with grey hair?

Thanks guys for all the replys. Yes I am the worlds oldest tuner and teenager (only 67 years old!) My first rice rocket was a brand new 72 Datsun 240Z and never lost the fever. My last ride and love of my life was a 98 Prelude SH and the best car I ever had until the CR-Z came along. I had an 84 CRX also and I love 2-seater rockets (with only 72hp). Can't love 2 cars at the same time, so had to sell the 'lude to a very lucky 21yo for HIS first car!

I have been talking to the guys at Showcase Honda (Hondapartsunlimited.com) to see if the connectors are the same. They have ordered a set of 2013 headlights for me to see what connectors they come with and to put a set in their stock. I have told them I would buy the set from them to try out the connections on my 2011 EX if they would let me return them (unharmed) if they didn't fit and they agreed. But I know that when I get them, being an electrical engineer by trade, I will find a way to make them work in my car. I was just hoping that they would be plug and play! I have spent so much time tricking out the Prelude with HID's, Led's, blinking sidelights, interior lights, etc., that I really don't want to mess with the CRZ's complex wiring.

BTW, the MICU stands for Multiplex Integrated Control Unit if I remember correctly from the Helms book. It is what makes all the sensors, door switches, brake switches, etc. control the different lights. Integrated circuits stuff. Different from the ECU engine control unit.
Crz Canadian is that diagram you posted for the 2013 model? The 22-212 and 213 are from the 2011 Helms book. Every thing there goes thru the MICU also. I can't tell if the DRL's are in the diagram. Thanks
oldfartinalude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Garage

I would say the holes to fit have not changed. They are bolted on to the frame. The bumper has nothing to do with the headlight, as long as it remains the same shape. Which it looks to be done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.