Buy a second hand CR-Z 7 year old ? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Buy a second hand CR-Z 7 year old ?

Hello,

I am considering to buy an honda cr-z. This car looks awesome, and as far as I read from several reviews the performances as an hybrid are really above the average.

I am in contact with a private that is selling me a second hand cr-z 1.5 i-VTEC from 2010 with 86000km at around 10000Euros.

What do you think about the price respect to the km and year?

I have no experiences with an hybrid car before, so I am bit concerned about performances and life of the battery of the electric engine after 7 years. Do you have any advice/things I should check?

I would appreciate very much any comments and opinions.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 11:52 AM
Super Duper Member

There are many members here with much more mileage. If you truly want this car I would have it checked out by an independent mechanic or a Honda shop to make sure it has no weirdnesses.

research online as to what a CR-Z of that year with those Kms is worth. All owners think a car is worth more than anyone else.

Big thing is don't worry that it is a hybrid just make sure when you test drive it you see no warning lights that say IMA. In general these cars hold up very well individual ones may or may not be worth it. Do your research and have the vehicle checked out. There has been a recall for the driver's side air bag for some CR-Zs check if this is applicable to this one and has been done. If the under hood battery is the original plan on replacing it.

Key thing with buying a car is do not get emotional and be prepared to walk away at any time.
jtcorbin and diracwilson like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
If you truly want this car...
THIS.

Make sure you like the car for what it is. A sporty hybrid.
Don't compare with other hybrids, don't compare it with older Civics.

This car is its own class. It's love or hate
supercrz, Defiant, Fukuyaa and 3 others like this.

!!Let the fun begin!!Vuooooooom Pxxx xxxxx xxxx
2011 GT 200 HP Turbocharged @ 8Psi

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:50 PM

The price seems a tad high but the mileage is quite low and your market is much different than the US.. mine is at 200000km and there are several around that are much higher.
Spdbump and diracwilson like this.

2011 CR-Z EX 6MT CBP
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys!

YES, I really like that car for its peculiarity of being a sporty-hybrid.

My doubts were just related with the fact that it is 7 years old, not with the model.
Nowadays it is quite common that laptop battery, or phone battery have a short lifetime (in terms of years).
I am aware that the technology behind the IMA battery is not the same as a laptop one, but also the price is not comparable in case I have to replace it.

I was reading here:
Expected IMA Battery Life?

and it seems that if there are not error messages on the display everything it should be fine,
but it would be nice to have some updated feedback about this topic after several years!

Thanks again
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!,
and what is the status of your IMA battery after 6 years and 200000km ?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:03 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
The prices in Europe are a completely different thing compared to the US.
And in some European countrys even worse.

For a national car, it seems about right.
Also not sure about the laws there, but the CR-Z is one of the cars that's pretty cheap to import from other E.U. members. Check out that option aswell.

For example, the cheapest CR-Z in portugal, goes for around 10.000. 12.500 at dealers...

The cheapest in Germany, goes for around 7.500, and cost to import + transport, about 1500.

Mine has almost 6 years, but very low mileage. only 42.500Km (it's an odd baby ), but so far never had IMA problems, and the battery seems Healthy.

!!Let the fun begin!!Vuooooooom Pxxx xxxxx xxxx
2011 GT 200 HP Turbocharged @ 8Psi

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:19 PM
Super Duper Member

As I said before just make sure this particular CR-Z is a happy example and is in reason for what is being asked for it.

Do not get set on this particular CR-Z. Do not get emotionally invested be prepared to walk away at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diracwilson View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys!

YES, I really like that car for its peculiarity of being a sporty-hybrid.

My doubts were just related with the fact that it is 7 years old, not with the model.
Nowadays it is quite common that laptop battery, or phone battery have a short lifetime (in terms of years).
I am aware that the technology behind the IMA battery is not the same as a laptop one, but also the price is not comparable in case I have to replace it.

I was reading here:
Expected IMA Battery Life?

and it seems that if there are not error messages on the display everything it should be fine,
but it would be nice to have some updated feedback about this topic after several years!

Thanks again
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diracwilson View Post
Thanks!,
and what is the status of your IMA battery after 6 years and 200000km ?
My Nickel cadmium metal hydride battery is doing great! I recently drove a 2015 with 5k miles, the lithium ion battery felt slightly stronger than mine but also seemed to deplete faster than mine. I'd say mine is in its prime

please understand everything I say here is pure hearsay without a basis in factual research

2011 CR-Z EX 6MT CBP
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 05:06 PM

I am just about to buy a 7 yr old CRZ myself!

I also had a similar thread here and some of the members chipped in with really useful info:
Thinking of Getting a CRZ - What Do I Need to Look Out For?

However, I had the choice between a private seller and a Honda Approved Used car, and I did go for the approved used, partly because it is half the mileage of the private seller's and also because I trust that Honda will have checked it over beforehand. I reckon it's worth it even thought the Dealer one is 15% more expensive.

Picking it up on Friday, cant wait!

Pav
litz likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode