Check Engine Light - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Spdbump
  • 1 Post By d1giPhux

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Check Engine Light

So I just picked up a 2014 CRZ last week to be my daily. Has 29,000 miles on it. Automatic. Friday I put gas in it and had an extra bottle of Chevron Fuel System cleaner so I decided to throw it in there. Put about 100 miles on the tank over the weekend and then Monday morning I drive to work as normal. Come out after work, start it and the check engine light popped on, and the display screen says "Check Emission System", "Check VSA System", and "Check Hill Start Assist System". I did some searching only to find nothing, other than to check the horn fuse and check for loose vacuum hoses. I checked and found nothing. I know my way around the engine bay very well. But have no idea when it comes to a newer car and newer technology. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:39 PM

Garage
Get your 12v battery checked. Probably needs replacing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Super Duper Member

Ducky is right have your under hood 12 volt battery load tested or just replace it. Being a 2014 with such low mileage means it may not have been driven a lot and because we have no alternator the under hood battery does not always get charged. There are a few threads on how this works. Also being a 2014 check and make sure the Air bag on the drivers side has been replaced as part of the Takata recall. There is an epicly long thread on that. I am unable to search at the moment but if I come across the two threads i will update this post.

Welcome. We look forward to learning more about you and Your CR-Z and hope this is just a little issue for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor822 View Post
So I just picked up a 2014 CRZ last week to be my daily. Has 29,000 miles on it. Automatic. Friday I put gas in it and had an extra bottle of Chevron Fuel System cleaner so I decided to throw it in there. Put about 100 miles on the tank over the weekend and then Monday morning I drive to work as normal. Come out after work, start it and the check engine light popped on, and the display screen says "Check Emission System", "Check VSA System", and "Check Hill Start Assist System". I did some searching only to find nothing, other than to check the horn fuse and check for loose vacuum hoses. I checked and found nothing. I know my way around the engine bay very well. But have no idea when it comes to a newer car and newer technology. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance.
MS6Bruh likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:05 PM

Yeah That happened to mine a few weeks ago. Its the battery. I was at a car meet when it happened and when I tried to leave, all the lights came on but figured it was. Battery was good. Only thing that drained the battery is bcuz my brother left my interior lights on when we got there. its all good though. No worries. Mine is a 13 with 58k on it. Still runs like new
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, but the previous owner just replaced the battery a few weeks before I bought it.. I was thinking about unhooking the battery for a while and try to reset the ECU or something. I guess I could also get it tested on my way home. But it's brand new...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:13 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor822 View Post
Thanks for the responses, but the previous owner just replaced the battery a few weeks before I bought it.. I was thinking about unhooking the battery for a while and try to reset the ECU or something. I guess I could also get it tested on my way home. But it's brand new...
I'd unhook the battery to reset the ECU, and while it's out/un-hooked, put a trickle charger on it overnight. Shouldn't be having an issue with a brand new battery, but while you're at it, open the gas cap, then close it to one click (just in case the idiot lights on the dash are related to the fuel filler cap vacuum loss.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 AM

Garage
Your MAF sensor could be dirty. They sell MAF sensor cleaner at auto parts stores. I have got these codes before when I accidentally left connector off maf sensor, but a battery disconnect will remove the codes. Just make sure you have the radio code if you own the nav system before unhooking the battery.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 AM

I'd go to Autozone and have the CEL code read, just to see what its saying. It may be unrelated to the other 2 lights.

When my Check hill start / Check VSA came on.. i found the only way to get it to go away was to drive hard and around some corners with it hard. It would then go away by itself. Seemed to come on randomly while going in slow speed around 2.5K going uphill. I was able to set it off a couple of times by doing the same thing. Some weird electronic thing.

It hasn't come back on since the last time I did it. Still don't know what the deal was.

I would reset the ECU via battery unplug and then see if it comes back. But, before you do that, may want to grab the CEL code its throwing just so you know!!
litz likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode