Engine swap ideas - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 28Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ZoopCrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 46
Engine swap ideas

So since I've purchased my 2011 crz I have saved up enough cash to do some modifications to my car, I just have some questions for the more experienced people on this forum that may have already swapped or have alot of knowledge on the subject. 1) My first question is what will be the best(fitting engine) to swap into the z while not breaking the bank and around how much it'll cost. 2) My second question is if it'd just be a better idea to buy a supercharger with performance headers, exhaust, intake and all or do the swap, with a reliable engine then add all those performance peices. Which one will give me more bang for my buck?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ZoopCrz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Super Duper Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,485
See RustBucket's build thread for the engine swap of the decade! Rustbucket's Build Thread

Many others have gone Supercharger( HPD or Sprintex and a few others) or Turbo. Most are not compatible with CVT transmissions but you probably have the MT.

HPD is dealer installed and you have one of the years it will work with.

Do a little search for Superchargers but one of the nicest Sprintex installations is Litz's litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread there are many others. Here is the official Sprintex thread The Sprintex Thread

Turbo thread one of many Ace 2011 gt turbo

There are many more. I hope you have budgeted a percentage for unexpected issues.



Let us know what you decide to do.
ZoopCrz likes this.
Spdbump is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ZoopCrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
See RustBucket's build thread for the engine swap of the decade! Rustbucket's Build Thread

Many others have gone Supercharger( HPD or Sprintex and a few others) or Turbo. Most are not compatible with CVT transmissions but you probably have the MT.

HPD is dealer installed and you have one of the years it will work with.

Do a little search for Superchargers but one of the nicest Sprintex installations is Litz's litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread there are many others. Here is the official Sprintex thread The Sprintex Thread

Turbo thread one of many Ace 2011 gt turbo

There are many more. I hope you have budgeted a percentage for unexpected issues.



Let us know what you decide to do.
Thanks alot, I unfortunately have the cvt

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ZoopCrz is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 02:37 PM
Super Duper Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoopCrz View Post
Thanks alot, I unfortunately have the cvt

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sprintex and other aftermarket options are CVT compatible you will just need to do more research and planning.

I am glad I was able to assist you in finding information. Good Luck with whatever you decide. There are many threads on here from mild to wild for everything from appearance to full on conversion to race car. All things are possible with the application of money. CVT does limit some power adder options but other than that anything you can do to one model of a CR-Z you can do to the others.

FYI Litz's car I believe is a CVT!
ZoopCrz likes this.
Spdbump is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ZoopCrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
Sprintex and other aftermarket options are CVT compatible you will just need to do more research and planning.

I am glad I was able to assist you in finding information. Good Luck with whatever you decide. There are many threads on here from mild to wild for everything from appearance to full on conversion to race car. All things are possible with the application of money. CVT does limit some power adder options but other than that anything you can do to one model of a CR-Z you can do to the others.

FYI Litz's car I believe is a CVT!
Hell yeah I really appreciate it. My minds pretty much stuck on a turbo and purchasing rexxstyling widebody and eibach lowering Springs

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ZoopCrz is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Super Duper Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,485
Or you could buy the Bismoto car and have a daily driver and a overpowered may not be legal to register car with the turbo work already done.

FS: Bisimoto CR-Z

Bisimoto's quest for a 500+hp, eco-friendly CRZ!
ZoopCrz likes this.
Spdbump is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Deputy Forum Librarian
 
supercrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 4,440
Garage
Forum vendor Kamispeed sells turbo kit for the CR-Z. https://www.kamispeed.com/Greddy-Tur...e.11550403.htm

They installed one on one of their employee's CR-Z. They have a few YouTube videos. Just look for Greddy Turbo CR-Z.

Good luck!


For your FAQ's - ABC's for the CR-Z
supercrz's experience with the CR-Z
Add me on Facebook: TJ supercrz; Follow me on Instagram: supercrz
supercrz is online now  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
ZoopCrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrz View Post
Forum vendor Kamispeed sells turbo kit for the CR-Z. https://www.kamispeed.com/Greddy-Tur...e.11550403.htm

They installed one on one of their employee's CR-Z. They have a few YouTube videos. Just look for Greddy Turbo CR-Z.

Good luck!
Yeah but I see nothing saying it'll work for the cvt trans

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ZoopCrz is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Deputy Forum Librarian
 
supercrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 4,440
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoopCrz View Post
Yeah but I see nothing saying it'll work for the cvt trans

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
See if you can email them or send a PM on the forum. They're pretty good at answering questions.
ZoopCrz likes this.


For your FAQ's - ABC's for the CR-Z
supercrz's experience with the CR-Z
Add me on Facebook: TJ supercrz; Follow me on Instagram: supercrz
supercrz is online now  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Super Duper Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoopCrz View Post
1) My first question is what will be the best(fitting engine) to swap into the z while not breaking the bank and around how much it'll cost.
K20 or K24. Both fit very well into the CR-Z engine bay and K-series is by far the easiest swap to do as its been done before and there are conversion components available, it is the most reliable swap to do and most adaptability in terms of replacement parts and further engine modification.

Price depends largely on whether a private individual is doing the work themselves or paying someone else or a shop to do it and whether new or used components are sourced and the one doing the sourcing's connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoopCrz View Post
2) My second question is if it'd just be a better idea to buy a supercharger with performance headers, exhaust, intake and all or do the swap, with a reliable engine then add all those performance peices. Which one will give me more bang for my buck?
It is almost always easier to add forced induction to a factory installed engine, especially if it is a kit, than to do an entire custom power plant (engine) swap.
Spdbump and ZoopCrz like this.
Koala Yummies is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome