Honda's IMA Breakdown - Page 3 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedefinedCRZ View Post

Now as far as the factory 12V battery goes, I am possibly going to upgrade mine to something with a higer CCA and amp hours so it runs my system better. But for now, I have not killed it yet with my stereo running for an hour at several car shows.

Just a little FYI, in case you didn't know. A higher CCA rated battery is not the ideal qualifier for a 12v battery in our case. CCA refers to Cold Cranking Amps. Your CR-Z battery is seldom (if ever) used for cold cranking. CCA batteries have many thin plates in the cell are designed for short bursts of high current. CCA batteries are the most popular for cars because most cars use the battery for cranking, then everything is run off of the alternator.

What the CR-Z needs is whats called a Deep Cycle battery. This would be something like a trolling motor battery. It is more capable of providing long term use of 12v such as lights and stereos. A deep cycle battery will have fewer but thicker plates per cell. It stores a huge amount of power but is not designed to give up all the power in short bursts.

Since this is a relatively new car with a small battery compartment, there will not be a lot of battery options available. I'm not even sure what the deep cycle options are out there that will shoe-horn into that small area.

You can spend your money how you want, but paying extra for more CCAs isn't helping the car. The money might be wiser spent on better manufacturer quality, warranty, or if you can find it, a deep cycle battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 AM

^Also, down in the South high CCA batteries are not recommended, because they can't survive the constant heat, and the high cold cranking amps aren't needed.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt2023 View Post
very informative... never idling any car now!
+ 1

thank god i read this!

gonna go share it with the world now! haha!

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 AM

Wow bizzybear what an amazing thread ! Thanks for all the info, well done ! I have read it like 4 times now ! LOL .
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayemtee View Post
Just a little FYI, in case you didn't know. A higher CCA rated battery is not the ideal qualifier for a 12v battery in our case. CCA refers to Cold Cranking Amps. Your CR-Z battery is seldom (if ever) used for cold cranking. CCA batteries have many thin plates in the cell are designed for short bursts of high current. CCA batteries are the most popular for cars because most cars use the battery for cranking, then everything is run off of the alternator.

What the CR-Z needs is whats called a Deep Cycle battery. This would be something like a trolling motor battery. It is more capable of providing long term use of 12v such as lights and stereos. A deep cycle battery will have fewer but thicker plates per cell. It stores a huge amount of power but is not designed to give up all the power in short bursts.

Since this is a relatively new car with a small battery compartment, there will not be a lot of battery options available. I'm not even sure what the deep cycle options are out there that will shoe-horn into that small area.

You can spend your money how you want, but paying extra for more CCAs isn't helping the car. The money might be wiser spent on better manufacturer quality, warranty, or if you can find it, a deep cycle battery.
quick question.... so is the battery that comes with the car from factory a deep cycle battery?
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 PM

I actually think I'm having a lot of issues with my crz 2011 ima. My car keeps breaking down on me all my lights come on car shakes violently and my rpms shoot up to 7 than back down to normal and when I hit the gas it's sluggish as in I'll be going 12mph and my rpms read 6. Honda says nothing's wrong with my car...
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollskinsa View Post
I actually think I'm having a lot of issues with my crz 2011 ima. My car keeps breaking down on me all my lights come on car shakes violently and my rpms shoot up to 7 than back down to normal and when I hit the gas it's sluggish as in I'll be going 12mph and my rpms read 6. Honda says nothing's wrong with my car...
random first post... not sure it's the best place for an answer either...

♫EDM♫ Fans - If you're a fan or just wanna listen
INSANITY Workout!!
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 04:13 PM

I can't help but wonder why there is a start position for the key. Seems to me that turn the key to on, press the brake, shift to drive, let out the brake, engine start and you are on your way. Why start?
Maintenance was my only other thought. My Odyssey has a key slot near the gear shift to take it out of park.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 04:17 PM

Nice read. Would love to read the 2013 update. Has 130hp and lithium ion batteries. I think the battery pack is bigger too. They took out the spare tire.

Last edited by AMCooper63; 01-24-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typos
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 07:11 AM

how do i tell if my CRZ is a DC brushless motor - MF6 Model?

all i know is its LEA 6 speed manual. ?

Remus Exhaust||Neomax Coilovers|| Desmond wise sport 3 piece wheels ||Illuminated CRZ doorsill||Winky LED JDM side mirror || Shaved from and rear OEM emblem || JDP front grille ||Seibon Front Lip || Custom side splitter || Audio ice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode