Honda's IMA Breakdown - Page 2 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybear View Post
Thanks for the clarification on the starter motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
.. the 12v battery is also there to run all the car's electronics since they're already designed to run on 12v not the higher voltage that the IMA battery pack supplies.
FYI, when the 12V battery ran out on my Insight, the car would not start. There wasn't even enough power in the battery to 'roll down' the windows.

The white zone for loading and unloading on the Fourth of July in front of our local airport. Not a good time or place to have a car that won't start.

Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomarlins3 View Post
FYI, when the 12V battery ran out on my Insight, the car would not start. There wasn't even enough power in the battery to 'roll down' the windows.

The white zone for loading and unloading on the Fourth of July in front of our local airport. Not a good time or place to have a car that won't start.
I suspect that this might be due to the fact that the ECU runs on the 12V battery. There was probably lots of juice in the high voltage IMA battery but the car didn't know what to do with it. (my theory only)

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I suspect that this might be due to the fact that the ECU runs on the 12V battery. There was probably lots of juice in the high voltage IMA battery but the car didn't know what to do with it. (my theory only)
I would tend to believe you. You could disconnect your starter motor and bolt any wires together going to the main starter bolt so they still pass power. I have not looked at ours, but there may be more than one large gauge wire on it. If the car still starts you know 100% the IMA motor is doing it.

We took at long bar put it on the starter motor and felt / listened for vibration when cranking and could not hear anything coming from it. I would say that the IMA system is doing all of the work.

Now as far as the factory 12V battery goes, I am possibly going to upgrade mine to something with a higer CCA and amp hours so it runs my system better. But for now, I have not killed it yet with my stereo running for an hour at several car shows.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 AM

Engine auto stop/start

Quick question: I was always under the impression that shutting off an engine for a short period of time and then starting it back up was not good, both for the engine and fuel economy. I was always told (by my dad) if you are going in and out of a store or something its better to leave the car running than shutting off the engine and then turning it back on 5 minutes later. Is the CR-Z's engine different that this does not apply to it? or is this just a myth and shutting off an engine for short periods of time and then back on really doesn't harm the engine in any way and its actually more gas saving than leaving the car running.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Capt'n Jack

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt2023 View Post
Quick question: I was always under the impression that shutting off an engine for a short period of time and then starting it back up was not good, both for the engine and fuel economy. I was always told (by my dad) if you are going in and out of a store or something its better to leave the car running than shutting off the engine and then turning it back on 5 minutes later. Is the CR-Z's engine different that this does not apply to it? or is this just a myth and shutting off an engine for short periods of time and then back on really doesn't harm the engine in any way and its actually more gas saving than leaving the car running.
First. Welcome to the Forum.. I see it is your first post..

Second, the IMA system is different. Your not restarting the car in the traditional sense.. Do a little searching here on IMA and you will get your answers... and maybe get a lot other good information on your search.. The Honda Hybrid IMA system is a proven technology.. been around for quite a while...

Click on the Capt'n Jack's Place signature link for a video. WARNING .. Rated PG-NSFW..
CVT Fully Loaded EX//NAVI//Eibach Pro Springs//H&R
20mm Rear Spacers//
Honda 17" OEM//
P2R
Down Pipe//K&N Typhoon SRI//32 Diamond Quartz Tint//Clazzio Black-Red Insert & Stitching//
iJDMToy interal&External LEDs//T1R Side Mirrors//Remus USDM Catback Center Exhaust//
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 AM

Thanks for welcoming me!
and you are right, I am sure the IMA system is different, but so does that mean that my dad was right? turning off and on a TRADITIONAL engine is bad? and I did read the entire IMA breakdown but I didnt see anything specifically detailing how how the auto stop feature was different from turning off a traditional engine and turning back on... but I will do more research.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Capt'n Jack

Garage
^ I think that is an old myth.. Maybe.. it was truer with older vehicles, but not now - whether starting with a traditional starter motor or with the IMA, I am not of the opinion that that it is harmful to the engine - above and beyond normal wear and tear..

Here is some information... The argument can be subjective...

Idling Your Car

Click on the Capt'n Jack's Place signature link for a video. WARNING .. Rated PG-NSFW..
CVT Fully Loaded EX//NAVI//Eibach Pro Springs//H&R
20mm Rear Spacers//
Honda 17" OEM//
P2R
Down Pipe//K&N Typhoon SRI//32 Diamond Quartz Tint//Clazzio Black-Red Insert & Stitching//
iJDMToy interal&External LEDs//T1R Side Mirrors//Remus USDM Catback Center Exhaust//
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 AM

very informative... never idling any car now!
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt2023 View Post
this was true many many years ago when cars ran with carburetors and other inefficient components... on a typical fuel-injected car of today's standard, idling a car for about 2minutes is equivalent to starting up the car once...

so if you're at a light that you know is a 5minute light, then shutting off the car is more efficient than leaving it running... but if it's a short light, you're better off just leaving it running...

Honda's IMA does not use a traditional starter for it main source of starting the car so you don't have to worry about wearing out any components there... and even on a regular car, a typical starter will likely outlive other parts of the car... so even shutting if off to save a little bit of gas isn't going to do much damage...

♫EDM♫ Fans - If you're a fan or just wanna listen
INSANITY Workout!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode