Upgrade to 51R battery worth it? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Upgrade to 51R battery worth it?

I have the chance to pick out a new 12v battery for my car.

Should I get the 51R, or the 151R stock size? Mind you, this will be a replacement Duralast Gold.

I'm thinking about the 51R, as I remember this winter my car didn't want to start a couple of times. I wondered if this was due to battery size and the cold weather.

Let me know if you have upgraded, if the weight made any noticeable difference or not and if the update is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Red&Black <3

Garage
I have heard good things. It is heavier slightly, and longer also. The battery tray needs to have the right wall cut.

Replaced 12V battery

"I had to slightly modify the battery tray inorder to fit longer battery. Width and height is same just length is longer. I took the oem battery tray out, cut out the right wall( driverside shorter wall) and it fits perfectly."

P.S. and off topic: read the message I sent you about the dragon! need to know soon!

2011 EX CVT
~~~~~~~~~~
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
I'd stay with the stock size, just to skip some hassle. And check your local battery sellers, beside chain stores. They'll give you the best information, and probably the best price.

Almost all the batteries in the US are made by Johnson Controls, including Optima batteries.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

True that.

This winter my car didn't want to start a couple of times because of the cold. I wonder if the batt is just getting old, or if the 325CCA is underrated or something for the weather in this area?

Hmm..
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 11:43 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1giPhux View Post
True that.

This winter my car didn't want to start a couple of times because of the cold. I wonder if the batt is just getting old, or if the 325CCA is underrated or something for the weather in this area?

Hmm..
I just helped my Dad buy a new Battery for his car. In the same size(group) battery there are lots of different ratings. You can get more CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) than OEM and not have to modify anything. Just something to consider and we do not have a top to our battery boxes so if it is a smidge taller no big deal. Make sure you clean the clamps with a metal brush, use the little fiber washers( to absorb acid) and cover posts and clamps with dielectric grease.

The batteries in CR-Zs tend to die an early death 3 years seems to be the limit( I know some have not had this problem).

Other cars I ( and family) have had the OEM batteries lasted more than a decade or in some cases multiple decades. But we too have had some batteries die within 3 years or less. Just depends on the car and what kind of life the car has had.

I hope this helps this discussion.

Last edited by Spdbump; 07-10-2016 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Clarification and grammar.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
I don't think the 12V battery's CCA have much to do with starting, unless the hybrid battery is down. I've never heard my starter motor, the IMA does the starting, and silently.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
I don't think the 12V battery's CCA have much to do with starting, unless the hybrid battery is down. I've never heard my starter motor, the IMA does the starting, and silently.
Doesn't it depend how cold it is? We all know that if the under hood battery is dead it won't start no matter how much charge the IMA battery has. But my other posting was a very general one not CR-Z specific.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
Doesn't it depend how cold it is? We all know that if the under hood battery is dead it won't start no matter how much charge the IMA battery has. But my other posting was a very general one not CR-Z specific.
I thought the 12v battery only needed enough power to communicate the the IMA, in order for it to do the silent start, and the 12v cranks the starter (which I've never heard a peep out of) only if the IMA doesn't reply in kind.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

It definitely gets cold enough here in winter for the starter to work. I've used it several times. Usually the IMA will fail to start the car, you will have to put it into neutral, and then the regular starter kicks in. This is where the CCA helps (or didn't help more like it).

What is the highest rated CCA battery we can get? I think its 335. Never seen any above that. So unless I upgrade to a newer battery and HOPE it will work, I might want to consider something with a bit more cold cranking amps. You people in cali won't understand. When its -20 out, nothing wants to start here..
Spdbump likes this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 09:55 PM
Super Duper Member

Autozone had many different CCA batteries for my Dad's car. I presume similar is available for us. How do CVT guys activate the "emergency conventional" starter? ( I should check my owner's manual now that I moved North.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1giPhux View Post
It definitely gets cold enough here in winter for the starter to work. I've used it several times. Usually the IMA will fail to start the car, you will have to put it into neutral, and then the regular starter kicks in. This is where the CCA helps (or didn't help more like it).

What is the highest rated CCA battery we can get? I think its 335. Never seen any above that. So unless I upgrade to a newer battery and HOPE it will work, I might want to consider something with a bit more cold cranking amps. You people in cali won't understand. When its -20 out, nothing wants to start here..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode