oil type - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

oil type

Hello Dears ,,, Which is the better oil to be used , 0w20 or 5w20 ,and what's the deference between it ? are you recommended a brand for oil ? as mobile1 ,castrol, gulf , shell ...ect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Super Duper Member

0w20 is what Honda recommends for both fuel economy and long engine life. It has to do with viscosity for winter "W" and normally. Honda puts a semi synthetic oil in the car at the factory. I had my dealer switch that to full synthetic at The Speed Bump's ( the car's name) first oil change. These cars only need oil changes every 10K miles or more. I highly recommend you follow the minder built into the car. There is no reason to change it any more frequently

Oil is like politics everyone has an opinion. Take all advice on brand names with a grain of salt.

Here is a Link from the UK that tries to explain it:

Oil Specifications Explained - What does 10w40 mean?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 11:34 AM

A search could have quickly answered your question.

Everything Spdbump mentioned is correct. I just hit 30K miles 2 weeks ago. It was also my 3rd oil change. Amazing right? Use the recommended 0W-20 (you can look on your oil cap to verify). The car is sold on a blended synthetic 0W-20 oil. I switched to full synthetic at my first oil change.

10K: Royal Purple 0W-20 | Royal Purple S2000 oil filter

21K: Royal Purple 0W-20 | OEM oil filter

30K: Mobil 1 0W-20 | OEM oil filter

Note: I change my oil at 5%.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 01:20 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
I've just been using Honda's OEM ASE 0w-20 API Service SN, ILSAC GF-5 -- Touge's Pics sound good, for sure, but I've had a good supply of OEM & filters in the garage, and haven't run out of the supply yet. Thinking about trying Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy when I have to restock.

(OEM's API category Introduced in October 2010)
API | Oil Categories

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Super Duper Member

Great info provided by all. I've been using the 0W-20 Mobil 1 and the mobil filters since the first oil change, just passed 110,000 miles original owner.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 05:27 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Does the Z engine have something special in its makeup that calls for 0W? Because I can't see it being all that much a concern in Jordan.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
Does the Z engine have something special in its makeup that calls for 0W? Because I can't see it being all that much a concern in Jordan.
It is what Honda specified but being the w part of the rating it may be irrelevant in Jordan. See the explanations of the ratings and follow what Honda recommends as a guide.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
0w20 is what Honda recommends for both fuel economy and long engine life. It has to do with viscosity for winter "W" and normally. Honda puts a semi synthetic oil in the car at the factory. I had my dealer switch that to full synthetic at The Speed Bump's ( the car's name) first oil change. These cars only need oil changes every 10K miles or more. I highly recommend you follow the minder built into the car. There is no reason to change it any more frequently

Oil is like politics everyone has an opinion. Take all advice on brand names with a grain of salt.

Here is a Link from the UK that tries to explain it:

Oil Specifications Explained - What does 10w40 mean?
Thank you very much , I will use mobil1 or castrol ! these types of oil is very recommended in jordan
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge Z View Post
A search could have quickly answered your question.

Everything Spdbump mentioned is correct. I just hit 30K miles 2 weeks ago. It was also my 3rd oil change. Amazing right? Use the recommended 0W-20 (you can look on your oil cap to verify). The car is sold on a blended synthetic 0W-20 oil. I switched to full synthetic at my first oil change.

10K: Royal Purple 0W-20 | Royal Purple S2000 oil filter

21K: Royal Purple 0W-20 | OEM oil filter

30K: Mobil 1 0W-20 | OEM oil filter

Note: I change my oil at 5%.
I will use OEM oil filter , and mobil1 or castrol becuase these types are recommended here
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
I've just been using Honda's OEM ASE 0w-20 API Service SN, ILSAC GF-5 -- Touge's Pics sound good, for sure, but I've had a good supply of OEM & filters in the garage, and haven't run out of the supply yet. Thinking about trying Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy when I have to restock.

(OEM's API category Introduced in October 2010)
API | Oil Categories
i also want to try mobil 1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode