Engine swap with 2016 Civic turbo? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Defiant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Question Engine swap with 2016 Civic turbo?

What the title says. Given that our engines are a 1.5L 4 cylinder and the new Civic Turbo is ALSO a 1.5L 4 cylinder, I wonder how hard it would be to swap it into our cars? I ask because I'm a 2015 CVT and options for boosting are somewhat...limited. But since the Civic is only offered as a CVT currently, my mind was racing about the idea of swapping in a fresh engine to get more pep.

TL/DR; To my more mechanically-inclined Forum friends, how difficult do you think that this would/could be?

2015 Honda CR-Z EX, CVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 09:39 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Wouldn't it be fine if the 2018 CRZ came with Turbo and IMA? IMA taking up the slack of any possible turbo lag, and recirculate the blow-off to regen the IMA. Oh, that's a pipe dream--I like your idea, but just wait for one of those Civic Turbo's to get to the salvage/junk yard, and wallah, Turbo parts for the CRZ!

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread
Sprintex | Mugen | Takeda | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 05:49 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
It'd be a glorious swap, and besides the amount of trouble engine swaps routinely are, this one could be above and beyond. And from living with the Civic for the last two weeks, worth every drop of sweat. You wouldn't need the IMA at all- if the Civic has any lag, it's been dealt with. Hence you could get rid of the battery and replace it with something silly, like, oh a spare tire.
I just did another one-bite Sacramento-to-LA-to-Sacramento concert run in the Civic with fifteen hours of road time, and could have done more. The Civic isn't quite a monster, but it's very quick. First time I'd felt torque steer in a car from this century.

If Honda would have started the CR-Z with the power plant now in the Civic, they may have had another 240Z phenomenon on their hands.

I suppose the first step would be to measure the engine rooms and the engine packages....

And after that, the fun would start. Control units, transmission match-up (you'd want to use the complete Civic package if you could, but you'd want the shifter paddles enabled), fuel, exhaust, cooling.... the usual engine-swap center ring of the big circus.
litz likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
I'm just gonna put it out there!

Considering the costs of buying the engine plus labor....
Wouln't it be easier to just buy a turbo kit for the CR-Z?

Instead of buying a turbo'd Swap...

I Mean, you keep the IMA, you get turbo,you get more power, you get all the HUD, and tools on the car working....no plugs or adapters needed...Seems a more logical choice....

Unless the engine would be cheap as hell ( which i doubt it )
Any builder, specially there in the states, should be able to build a turbo system for your car.

For instance my particular case, i paid 4200€ for a turbo build and hondata ( labour and tune included ), it's making 200HP.

If i wanted to buy a Civic turbo engine, i would have to pay 5000€ for the engine alone....without labour and swaps costs...

!!Let the fun begin!!Vuooooooom Pxxx xxxxx xxxx
2011 GT 200 HP Turbocharged @ 8Psi

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 12:57 PM

Garage
By the time you purchase the turbo Civic drivetrain and all of the pieces to go with it (Ecu, wiring, etc.) and pay a shop to fabricate any custom parts like engine mounts and pay for labor... you could just sale your CR-Z and buy a new turbo Civic with a factory warranty. If you want everything to work like it came from the factory (working AC, gauges, no check engine light, etc.) that means even more money on parts and labor. If you really just want the Civic turbo drivetrain in your CR-Z, there is nothing wrong with that... just be aware that you will need VERY deep pockets.
As Aceryl mentioned, if you just really want boost, have a shop install a turbo kit and custom tune the setup and you might have a fairly reliable setup for around $7k or so.

2011 Milano Red CR-Z EX 6spd manual
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2015 Subaru Outback
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
It's a dreamland project, and bound to happen somewhere, sometime.

There are advantages to getting a turbo'd engine made by the manufacturer- everything's built for it from the start. The Civic runs 16 pounds of boost, not a trivial amount, and being done by Honda, it's made to do it. Aftermarket turbocharging is always a bit of loose-grenade-pin.

I really believe that the small amount of boost the IMA provides would be redundant in the Civic's layout.

Of course the "sensible" thing to do would be to just grab a Civic already done, but the Civic just doesn't have the road feel the Z does, nor the so singular styling. And what fun is sense?

It's very encouraging that Honda have chosen to go with a turbo and CVT on their main line, instead of just shuffling it off into the "special cases" corner.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
running 16 pounds of boost, on a daily driver, might take a huge hit on the car, wear wise.

The fact that the car is needing 16 pounds of boost, to reach 176hp, would also worry me, meaning the engine seems really weak without the turbo.
I know there's a whole Brand behind the engine build, but as always, it's not the cheapest option, it's not the most powerful option, it's not the easiest option.

The engine would have to be built prestinely, in order to hold a life time with that amount of boost

!!Let the fun begin!!Vuooooooom Pxxx xxxxx xxxx
2011 GT 200 HP Turbocharged @ 8Psi

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
I'd thought the same thing about the boost level, Aceryl, but I have enough confidence in Honda, and the leaps in materials and controls since even five years ago, that I'd have no worries about the Civic's longevity. Time will tell us, of course.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 04:37 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sonic Motor
you could probably boost a k series instead

Also, this engine is also a L Series like the earth dream in the CR-Z. L15B7 for anyone who's gonna dig into it more. If you can find a motor for a good price, I don't see why it wouldn't be a viable swap. Good thing is, it being a Honda and factory turbo'd, you should be able to pull power out of it (fairly) easy, but only time will tell what the motor itself will hold.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 01:34 PM

Garage
I have seen a few cvt crz turbo around here in Malaysia. With the limitation of cvt, only thing you can do is go with a small turbo, low boost and aiming for a good response. With a small turbo you will get an early boost as low as 1800 rpm. Fun to drive. There will no turbo kick as there are almost zero lag, with the help of IMA at lower rpm. My first turbo kit when i was running with stock motor was with a cutie IHI VF20 turbo. With 0.5 bar i manage to get 174 horse on wheel and the stock clutch still holding handsomely. Really fun to drive. As i have a 6MT, not very sure how it would stress the CVT trans. But quite sure it will be fine considering how was my stock clutch condition after a year serving the turbo setup. It will not be a street warrior but sure be a fun and reliable daily ride. The main ingredient is IHI VF20 turbo with custom manifold,custom intercooler piping, K20 310cc injector and hondata flashpro.

For the new civic engine output, factory car still need to follow the environmental regulation and some other rules for them to come out with just 176 horse. 16 pound with small turbo will not be the same as 16 pound with big turbo. My first kit give me 174 horse from 0.5 bar but GT2871 manage to give almost 200 horse with same pressure. What i can see is, the new civic was build to give a smooth power band to serve the CVT; from a tiny TD03 turbo. BUt I heard it was underrated. Dyno figure is higher than claimed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode