Check IMA, check charging system, check engine - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Check IMA, check charging system, check engine

Hi all,
I've seen a lot of posts about issues with the IMA light coming on and was hoping to get some help from anyone who has had the same issue.

I bought my 2011 cr-z MT last March. After about 2 months the battery died and I had to have a jump when I was leaving work. After that the Hill start assist and VSA wouldn't work. Everything else was fine and since I didn't like the hill assist feature it did t really worry me.

Last week when I was driving home from work the check engine, check IMA, and check charging system all lit up. No battery power while accelerating, no charge while breaking. I ch caked the fuses and the fuse for IMA2 was blown. Replaced it and everything was fine...for about 12 hours.

I've replaced the fuse twice now but it always breaks after about 20 miles. I'm planning on taking it in to the dealer where I bought it but I'm pretty sure the warranty expired last month-I didn't get he extended because I'm poor. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 10:21 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
I'd take it to the dealer to check it out. It'll cost around $100 or so, but ask them if anything's still covered--they might give you a break. My own experience with the IMA going dead, was with my 2002 Insight with 180,000 miles on it (a few years ago.) I did drive it around for a while without IMA working, but really couldn't stand the lack of power, and had it replaced. Sounds like you don't have enough extra in your budget to allow for a replacement, but if you're going to keep the car for a long time, it will pay for itself (or hope they'll give you a break on the price--as they did for me--or that they'll cover it under warranty.)

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably take it in next week...is there a chance that a local mechanic could work on it rather than a Honda dealer? This is my first hybrid so I'm a little lost about service.

I'm the mean time my bike is getting a good bit of use as well as the city public transport.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 02:30 AM
@ the speed of white

Garage
There's not much chance in finding a local mechanic who'd be able to properly diagnose the IMA system. I've done all of the mechanical work on my cars for many years, but I'll let Honda take care of the IMA, if needed. The problem could be anything from a bad IMA battery cooling fan to the battery control module and/or the motor control module, or the IMA battery module itself. Hmmmmm...I don't even know enough to name all the possible parts, LOL, but you get the idea. Let Honda tell you what needs to be replaced and the cost, then you'll know what you're getting into. If it turns out to be the IMA battery module, you may be able to get one from a salvage yard, but don't get one that's been sitting around for more than 30 to 90 days--non-use is the bane of battery's life expectancy.

Let us know what you find out after getting it diagnosed, and we can go through your options from there. Good luck!

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngranello View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably take it in next week...is there a chance that a local mechanic could work on it rather than a Honda dealer? This is my first hybrid so I'm a little lost about service.

I'm the mean time my bike is getting a good bit of use as well as the city public transport.

Being a 2011 it may still have IMA system warranty left. Get it to the dealer ASAP every day you wait is another day gone on the warranty. The warranty I believe is 8 Years 80K miles if Originally purchased/registered in a non CARB state longer if a CARB state . Dealer should diagnose and tell you.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

I found my warranty information. I've still got 2 years left on the powertrain coverage. I'm not totally sure what all that covers but it sounds promising. Gonna take it in on Tuesday, I'll post an update then.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 06:06 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
I found my warranty information. I've still got 2 years left on the powertrain coverage. I'm not totally sure what all that covers but it sounds promising. Gonna take it in on Tuesday, I'll post an update then.
There is a separate warranty for the IMA it is longer than the Power train so that is good news.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Turns out it was the fan blower motor. They have to order a part and it's not covered by the warranty. Total cost is about $768...not awesome but I can handle it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Apparently the IMA warranty is only good for 3/36000 in Texas...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Apparently the IMA warranty is only good for 3/36000 in Texas...
Was yours purchased originally in TX? The IMA warranty is based on state first registered and the warranty book has a URL you need to go to figure out if it is a CARB state or a non CARB and the exact coverages. My selling dealer was clueless on the IMA warranty I had to ask and they still gave me the wrong information. I had to read my book.

Double check as dealers would rather have you pay then get reimbursed from Honda.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode