Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Check Engine, Check IMA, Check Charging System, Check ABS, Check VSA, Check wallet!

18K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  yayuuu 
#1 ·
Greetings all!

I am the original owner of a 2011 base 6mt red CR-Z with 37000 miles and I have been a bad, bad Honda owner.

About 3 months ago I had the check engine and check IMA system lights come on periodically (maybe once a week) so I thought absolutely nothing of it because I could not notice any difference in performance or mileage of the car. Well, over the past two weeks the Check engine light is always on, and the check IMA light will come on after about 3-4 minutes of driving.

I live in Florida where it is very hot. If I run the A/C eventually the Check Charging system message will pop up as well as the red battery indicator on the dash. This will happen a few times until eventually every time "Check charging system" comes up, my radio and A/C turn off then back on, if my windshield wipers are running they will operate at about 1/2 speed, and finally today, I lost power steering (Which is terrifying as hell in the middle of a turn, btw). After "Check charging system" goes away I get everything back.

I think it might be important to note that I did not take my car in for the recall on the 2011 mt6 cars. It had something to do with stalling while the electric battery was low and stalling, since I never stall I never took it in.

I did some research on this forum. I am not very handy but I did manage to check the "1 15a backup" fuse and it is still intact. Are there any other fuses I should check? My hands are big and the pliers I have are big too, so checking these things is kind of a pain.

I also hear that the 12v batteries are kinda junk. I have not checked it yet (I'm not really sure how), what is the best way to do this? What are acceptable values of volts running on the battery?

And finally: if my problem is not a fuse or the 12v battery, how screwed financially can I expect myself to be?

Thanks for your time!

See less See more
#3 ·
If there was a recall on the IMA on earlier models, I'd think a trip to the Dealer would be in order--and at no charge (I have a 2013, so I'm not really sure about a recall, but seem to remember reading about one.)
Also, if you were commenting about your big hands and big pliers making it difficult to check the fuses, I believe there is a fuse puller clipped right inside the fuse panel to remove the fuses. Good luck, and I hope you find a solution to your problems. And remember not to be a bad bad Honda owner again! LOL

#4 ·
From my understanding a recall doesn't have a time limitation and for your wallets sake worth the chance to throw it on Hondas tab. I would say you just found out they did a recall and the issue your having. A friend of mine had a Hyundai that got recalled 10 years prior and engine was falling out she didn't have to lay out a dime. I'd try that first then check the fuses if it is a fuse they make these fuses that illuminate when they blow so you don't have to do the guess and check method in the future

#5 ·
Thank you all for your replies!

JLocke5592 said:
Have you tried unhooking the battery for about 10-15 minutes to let the car reset?...
I had not tried this, but now I have. The CEL went away only to return when the "Check IMA System" message popped back up.

litz said:
you were commenting about your big hands and big pliers making it difficult to check the fuses, I believe there is a fuse puller clipped right inside the fuse panel to remove the fuses.
I was not able to locate this fuse puller. Is it hidden like a stylus inserted somewhere in the panel?

Koala Yummies said:
For 2011 6MT there are two software-related recalls...
I plan to take it in tomorrow morning to have these addressed. They couldn't do it today as they only offer "quick service" on Sunday.

When I went in today I pulled up and asked if they tested batteries for free, and they do. The machine he used had a printout showing that the CCA was only reading 60CCA, and it was for 330CCA (I think?). I had the battery replaced and now my windows roll up faster but none of my other problems went away.

I'll go first thing tomorrow morning and have the software updated. I'm hopeful it will fix my problems however I doubt something free will fix what is wrong with my car.

In the event that these software updates don't fix my car I plan to get something that will read the Check Engine Light codes so that hopefully I can research some solutions myself without forking a small fortune over to Honda to have them do it.

I take it Honda does not check these codes for free, right?

Does anyone have an affordable suggestion as to what I should buy to read these codes? I'm tempted to buy the cheapest "OBD2 scanner" I can find, which is about 15 bucks. This will do what I need it to do, right?

Thank you all so much for your time!

#6 ·
Thank you all for your replies!

I wrote a pretty lengthy and detailed post on Sunday night and noticed it wasn't posted, so I posted it again and noticed that a mod had to approve my post first. Since it was a double post I probably angered the forum gods. Here's the short and sweet:

Had the battery tested at honda and it showed 60 cca while rated for 330 (i think?). Had it replaced, my Windows roll up faster but I still have a CEL and Check IMA System message.

I went yesterday and had the software updates performed. At first the CEL went away, but after a few trips it reared its ugly head again.

After these updates the the eletric battery indicater seems wonky. I was cruising at 60 mph for 5 minutes or so, and the chrg/asst showed one green bar charging, but my battery was only displaying 1 of 8 bars. I decided to give it some gas and it showed 3 or 4 bars assist, and the charge on my electric battery started filling up.

This was litteraly my first trip after the update so I imagine things will balance out.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I ended up ordering a very affordable obd2 scanner to read my codes, as I'm pretty sure Honda charges a pretty penny to do so. It won't arrive for about a week, so until then I'll continue to check back here.

Thanks, everyone!

#7 ·
even if you can read your own codes honda is required to if you bring it in with a problem. they drop the charge if they can repair it, but if they cant or you opt for them not to you will be charged +$100 for the diagnosis. stealerships man...

#8 ·
Check this out it helped me a lot and I was having damn near the same problem

I was having damn near the same problems and all those codes will pop up on my car So I did a lot of research I called Honda and they were all pointing out to the Cooling Fan Assembly PART # (1J810-RTW-003)
I also watched this video very helpful and made a lot of sense on YouTube here is the link to that ( ) I hope this helps you guys as much as it did for me !

#11 ·
Hi guys. I just purchased a 2013 CRZ the other day, and I’m having the exact same problems. Ima, charging system, VSA, and CEL are all on. The car is not charging or assisting with the ima at all. I bought a diagnostic tool and received a few codes. Wondering if you found a solution to your problems or if one of my codes could be my root issue.

#12 ·
Here is a weird thing to check before digging deeper into the long list of codes. Have the under hood battery Load tested ( with car not running) and then let us know if battery is failed or not. The TPMS ( if pressure is good) can indicate a failed TPMS sensor battery and the bad news is they are sealed and you have to replace the whole sensor.

The rest of the errors maybe related to the ABS/stability control sensors and for those you will need a trained mechanic who is familiar with CR-Zs.

A lot of us have had failed under hood batteries and when that happens you get a bunch of errors that are not actually related to real issues. The CR-Z has no light or gauge for the under hood battery the only gauge is for the IMA battery state of charge.

#13 ·
Here is a weird thing to check before digging deeper into the long list of codes. Have the under hood battery Load tested ( with car not running) and then let us know if battery is failed or not. The TPMS ( if pressure is good) can indicate a failed TPMS sensor battery and the bad news is they are sealed and you have to replace the whole sensor.

The rest of the errors maybe related to the ABS/stability control sensors and for those you will need a trained mechanic who is familiar with CR-Zs.

A lot of us have had failed under hood batteries and when that happens you get a bunch of errors that are not actually related to real issues. The CR-Z has no light or gauge for the under hood battery the only gauge is for the IMA battery state of charge.
thanks for the reply! Took the battery out to get it tested.

#18 ·
Bad news, gentlemen... took the car to Honda today and got the cause of my problems. Not too sure if my wallet is prepared. With a little research I was able to figure out what I should be able to replace the YAW rate sensor on my own relatively easy. Unfortunately, it appears that the culprit for my IMA problem is the ima motor rotor position sensor. Which is conveniently located on the inside of the transmission, apparently. I’ll post the print out that they gave me. If any1 has any advise or ideas as to what I should do, please share.

#19 ·
IMA is sandwiched between the engine and transmission and if there is a sensor for it you have no choice you have to get it repaired. It maybe a sensor that is in the outside of the IMA but without having a Factory service manual I am not sure where that sensor is or how to replace it. Sorry to hear it has failed. Just get it fixed. Any kind of a warranty on the car for the drive train as the IMA is part of the drive train?

I doubt it unless you are like @Anish who bought a 2011 brand new recently but he is having issues with his ABS and the dealer will not fix it under warranty because the light goes off when he brings it back to them.

If it is not repaired what did they charge you all that money for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.