K&N Air Filter? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

K&N Air Filter?

Should i?. ive read around here but i cant decide what are the pros and cons? will it damage the engine or any other problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Super Duper Member

No cons! All pros!!! By this are u speaking about the full intake kit that hasn't been released yet or just the drop in filter? Either way it's all pros.

"For those 17 seconds or more, I'm free..."
post #3 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Elite Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SS2CRZ
I have put one on EVERY vehicle I've owned for the last 10 years, like my Jeep, my Hummer, STI, Murano, Tahoe, and my 2010 Camaro SS. I have noticed an instant throttle response increase and 2-3 MPG increase in every vehicle. I still haven't put one in my CR-Z yet. Maybe next month.

FWIW, a company called Spectre Performance makes replacement panel filters IDENTICAL to K&N filters for roughly 1/3 the price. I bout a (big ass) Spectre filter for my wife's 4WD 07 Tahoe for $22.00 at Auto Zone. Not sure if Spectre is/is going to make one for the CR-Z.

Pioneer / Kicker / Boston Acoustics / Basis / K&N / Heko / Tein / Webasto / iJDMtoy / DC Sports / Drag / Yokohama / Fooki-Son Fabrication

post #4 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:52 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
if you're just changing the filter itself and no piping then it's the same thing as replacing your stock air filter when it gets dirty except you'll be using a much better filter than Honda's.

if you get a full Cold Air intake with a K&N Filter then you're looking at some power gains as well but more work to change it.

post #5 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Talking Thank you guys

That is all awesome! So should i wait for the full intake kit then? when is it expected to come out?

P.S. Sorry for all the questions I'm just really excited about making the mod.
post #6 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 AM

Intake Resonators

The Honda engines with VTEC respond really well to the K&N drop in filters.

You get a deeper throatier sound better performance and mileage because it's flowing more air especially at WOT. Because it's flowing more air you don't need to push the accelerator as much which saves gas.

A cost effective alternative to the cold air kits are what I have done on my EG CIVIC, my Pilot and TSX is to remove the intake resonator in conjunction with replacing the filter with a K&N drop in.

Its essentially doing the same thing for the cold air kits remove the resonator as well in order to create a clearer more direct path of airflow to the engine.

The resonators are generally located inside the fender well just ahead of the front wheel on the airfilter side if they are not in the engine compartment. The engineers place it there because it's outside of the engine compartment and down low is where the cool/cold air is flowing.

It sounds great and I get excellent performance and mileage. And it only takes a couple of hours of time with a basic ratchet set using 10 & 13mm sockets.

It might not provide the WHP that the intake kits claim but it also doesn't cost $100+. And it still looks stock when you go in for servicing and/or later sell.

Vroom Vroom !
post #7 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

sounds good but i think ima wait for the whole intake kit. lol
post #8 of 134 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Elite Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SS2CRZ
I just ordered my K&N drop-in panel filter from Pep Boys Friday. It should be here mid next week. Cost me $38.00 with my military discount. I'll post a lil' review once I get it installed.

Even if it's some throttle response improvement and 1-2 MPG gain, I'll be happy. I'm still averaging 39.5 MPG in my 6-Speed.

Pioneer / Kicker / Boston Acoustics / Basis / K&N / Heko / Tein / Webasto / iJDMtoy / DC Sports / Drag / Yokohama / Fooki-Son Fabrication
post #9 of 134 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Elite Member

Garage
A K&N short ram intake kit should be out by early may I'm guessing.
post #10 of 134 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Elite Member

I have a drop in K&N and have put one in every car for the past 20 years.

No Problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode