Building an Android Radio from scratch - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Building an Android Radio from scratch

Hello guys,

I'm looking to build an Android radio on my 2010 Z.

I am a beginner so I wanted to know all details and all the tools I'll need to do this (eg: all kinds of cables to make the radio with Android function 100%) as well as how to remove the standard radio.

I have the stock non-Navi radio on my car

The radio I'm looking to buy is this one: DY7003*Android 5.1.1 Car DVD Player 7 inch Double Din-201.73 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Can anyone help?

Thank you
Joao Silva is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Ducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 239
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao Silva View Post
Hello guys,

I'm looking to build an Android radio on my 2010 Z.

I am a beginner so I wanted to know all details and all the tools I'll need to do this (eg: all kinds of cables to make the radio with Android function 100%) as well as how to remove the standard radio.

I have the stock non-Navi radio on my car

The radio I'm looking to buy is this one: DY7003*Android 5.1.1 Car DVD Player 7 inch Double Din-201.73 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Can anyone help?

Thank you
Do you have an EX or base? Do you have an EDM or JDM CRZ?

2011 6MT EX nav
Ducky is offline  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
Do you have an EX or base? Do you have an EDM or JDM CRZ?
My CR-Z is from 2010 and has 6M Transmission.
I bought it some months ago so I do not know much about those details. Could you be more specific about what those mean?

Thank you
Joao Silva is offline  
 
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Super Duper Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao Silva View Post
My CR-Z is from 2010 and has 6M Transmission.
I bought it some months ago so I do not know much about those details. Could you be more specific about what those mean?

Thank you
EDM European Domestic Market
JDM Japan Domestic Market
USDM United States Domestic Market

In the US we have (had) three trim levels. These levels affect radio capabilities. There are other differences having to do with headlights and DRLs etc.

Base has less Blue Tooth than the other two and no Sub Woofer
EX has some more capabilities more wattage and a Sub Woofer( with weird separate amplifier)
EX with Navigation same as EX but with Navigation, Blue Tooth streaming and is touch screen radio.

In 2016 all radios have touch screen and some other options were shuffled

Other countries have different Trims( GT etc) and option packages available like Glow Pack and glass roof etc.

When talking about a particular CR-Z especially in regards to ICE ( In Car Entertainment) you need to tell us what country the car was built for and what ICE is currently in it as this affects what wiring and trim kits work. Right Hand Drive Versus Left Hand Drive etc.

I hope this helps you help us.
Spdbump is offline  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
EDM European Domestic Market
JDM Japan Domestic Market
USDM United States Domestic Market

In the US we have (had) three trim levels. These levels affect radio capabilities. There are other differences having to do with headlights and DRLs etc.

Base has less Blue Tooth than the other two and no Sub Woofer
EX has some more capabilities more wattage and a Sub Woofer( with weird separate amplifier)
EX with Navigation same as EX but with Navigation, Blue Tooth streaming and is touch screen radio.

In 2016 all radios have touch screen and some other options were shuffled

Other countries have different Trims( GT etc) and option packages available like Glow Pack and glass roof etc.

When talking about a particular CR-Z especially in regards to ICE ( In Car Entertainment) you need to tell us what country the car was built for and what ICE is currently in it as this affects what wiring and trim kits work. Right Hand Drive Versus Left Hand Drive etc.

I hope this helps you help us.
Eheheh that helps me a lot.

So mine is an EDM Base CR-Z

It's a left wheel car and my ICE is very basic. Non-Navi and no original Bluetooth kit (I had the Honda car kit installed later) but it doesn't interfere with the radio in any way.
Joao Silva is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 01:32 PM
Super Duper Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao Silva View Post
Eheheh that helps me a lot.

So mine is an EDM Base CR-Z

It's a left wheel car and my ICE is very basic. Non-Navi and no original Bluetooth kit (I had the Honda car kit installed later) but it doesn't interfere with the radio in any way.
Does it have HID headlights or Halogen ( low beams)? HIDs are EX here in the US and Halogen are base. Any sub woofer in the hatch area?

Just trying to help some more.
Spdbump is offline  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
Does it have HID headlights or Halogen ( low beams)? HIDs are EX here in the US and Halogen are base. Any sub woofer in the hatch area?

Just trying to help some more.
My headlights are normal (low beams) "yellowish". My hatch area doesn't have any subwoofer. Just the backseats have speakers on the side.
Joao Silva is offline  
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 12
As someone who has an electronics degree and access to a 3d printer, laser cutter, and a CNC machine... Dont build an android radio from scratch. Buy one of the current china double din units that has android 6.0 on it.

I got about 60% done with mine and gave up because all the android Development boards dont have a way to deal with turning on or off with the car's ignition. you have to tell the android to sleep or wake, and you give up FM radio. I have use several types of touch screens and went from the glass capacitive back to the resistive because you can not read the super glossy glass screens in daylight.

I spent about $1100 on my experiment that a $399 China Android radio does better and is ready to go AND has steering wheel control capability.

So what are the tools you need? Laser cutter and CNC machine to make the enclosure and even some of the circuitboards. 3d Printer to make the custom plastic bits and buttons. Linux computer to compile Android on. You can try any of the current Android compatible single board computers and basically use a 7" Lilliput touchscreen monitor and rip it out of it's case to mount in your custom made double din case. You need to understand a linux computer completely, understand C and C++ programming to make any changes at all to the Android Operating system, you need to also understand vehicle electrical as well as vehicle data bus decoding. I gave up trying to decode the Honda data stream for the wheel buttons and used a generic stereo steering wheel adapter.
Spdbump likes this.

CAR: 2011 CRZ Base with CVT
Timothy Gray is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Super Duper Member
 
Defiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: glorious Galt CA
Posts: 1,939
Garage
I'm running just a '13 navi unit, and am delighted with it because of its USB input where I feed it all of the 700 stolen songs I listen to, and podcasts (SGU, mostly) and books.

I'm sure if I'd started on cars in the last decade, I'd be churning away on some Raspberry Pi or arduino scheme.

I'm just hoping Android Auto will one day have access to a weather app, but for now I'll do with the phone.

I'd be wanting to find a Chinese unit with a more current version of Android than 5, although two-hundred bucks is a great price.
Defiant is offline  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Ducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 239
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
I'm just hoping Android Auto will one day have access to a weather app
It has basic current temperature and conditions readout on the AA home screen, and you can ask Google for a forecast if you have Marshmallow or Nougat.

2011 6MT EX nav
Ducky is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome