DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot. - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By litz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
@ the speed of white

Garage
DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot.

Here's an easy mod for those of us who love the CVT and paddle shifters, but are too embarrassed to let the world know we drive an automatic.

PRND--Before:

...and After:

1) Remove trim ring by prying up at the indentation/slot located at the edge of the front of the trim ring:

2) The boot I'm using is from a 2013 CRZ 6-Speed--remove parts you don't need; the black plastic connector from the top of the boot, and the white plastic bottom that's held on with staples--but you can search/find one that you like better than the OEM 6-Speed boot. I made a template from a 3/4 inch thick piece of wood/scrap to hold the boot in the CVT trim ring while fastening into place:

3) Make the template so it slips freely in the trim ring, but snug enough to hold the boot secure while working with it.

4) Position the boot and template together, into the trim ring:

5) Leave enough material to wrap around the inside of the lip:

6) Cut off excess material, if any:

7) Remove the little access lid and tape over it to prevent glue from getting on the face of the trim/boot:

8) I used Weldwood contact cement, put on both surfaces and let set up for 15-30 minutes:

9) Press boot onto the trim--I used a 10mm wrench:

10) Cut a slit in the leather for the access hole lid, and notches for the clips to pass through:

11) Push the front edge of the wood template down/into the shift boot while holding the leather in place, then pull the template out and away from the trim ring:

12) Remove the tab/cover on the front of the shift knob to reveal the phillips-head screw:

13) There's another screw, right below the one under the tab/cover. The screws are really small, so put a towel over the opening for the trim ring, or you may drop one inside the console by accident--If you're a really froody guy who knows where his towel is, then you can skip the next step and go on to #15:

14) This is a good time to remove the console to adjust your e-brake cable, because you just lost one of the screws noted in step 13:

15) Now that the hand-brake is adjusted properly, remember to find that little screw you were looking for a half an hour ago. Now reinstall all the parts you didn't need to take apart for this DIY, then clip your new boot/trim assembly onto the console:

16) Instal the shift knob back onto the lever--don't worry, the hole in the top of the boot isn't wide enough to accidently drop one of those screws down to the bottom of the console again, so you shouldn't have to repeat steps 14 through 16. In fact, it takes a little bit of tugging and shaping to get the top of the boot to the right position (and it will hold there, if you're using the OEM CVT shift knob.)
This shows the selector in Park:

...and here it is in Neutral:
CRZStaggerd likes this.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!

Last edited by litz; 11-08-2015 at 06:18 PM. Reason: moved "After" picture to top of the page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 11:47 PM

Garage
Dude, youre the sh*t. Thank you.

Live with Ty and Mark the Shark a.K.a. Mark1
Follow us on Instagram so you dont miss any updates! @Tyvitiello
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyVitiello View Post
Dude, youre the sh*t. Thank you.
Sure thing. And thanks for reminding me to do it, since I've had all the parts and pieces for quite some time now, but didn't get around to doing it until I was prompted a bit.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellionz View Post
😂 genius! Next mod on the list.
Thanks Hellionz, but I bow down to you for having such a sweet ride!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:09 AM

Nice. Can you put the MT knob on there too?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-line900 View Post
Nice. Can you put the MT knob on there too?
I'm not sure, because I haven't examined the MT knob and how it mounts. On the other hand, I did convert my gen1 Insight's knob to a button-delete knob. I've never had a problem with the button on my CR-Z, but a semi-trailer just about backed over me while I was fumbling for the button to get the hail out of his way right after I got my Insight! (That was the first time I ever drove/owned an automatic, and was still forgetting you had to push a button to change the selector.)

The only problem you might have with putting the CRZ 6-Speed knob on the CVT is that I think it threads on to the shaft, and you'll need an after market knob with set-screws. But before you look into that, check out the button actuator on your CVT--it has a plastic shaft that's quite long, so you may have to push the lever down (disabling the push-button to shift function) and drill a small hole through the metal shaft and through the plastic while it's still in the down position.

You'll be locking the selector button into the down position by inserting a metal sleeve into the hole you drilled or tap some threads (preferred method) and put an allen screw in there to hold it down.

You might be able to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, by taking the plastic rod and metal shaft apart, and (after you find out where exactly to cut it) cut the plastic rod and thread the inside of the metal shaft, so you can screw a piece of all-thread down into the shaft far enough to be stable and to hold the plastic rod in the down position, then (if you have the right thread in your all-thread) you can just spin the 6-Speed OEM shift knob on.

Before you make such modifications, it would be a good idea to go ahead and buy the parts that you will need to revert back to the normal automatic shift actuation in case you want/need to put every thing back to the condition it was before you started cutting and drilling.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:07 PM

Garage
Daymnnnnnn, that's a sick subtle mod! I have an automatic too, but I can drive manual. I think it's time to break out my sewing skills....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochi_ View Post
Daymnnnnnn, that's a sick subtle mod! I have an automatic too, but I can drive manual. I think it's time to break out my sewing skills....
Thanks for the applause on the mod. Since I've done it, I tend to forget what the OEM looks like underneath it all. Post a pic of yours, after you get done sewing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode