Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

DIY: Cabin Filter Replace

59K views 79 replies 37 participants last post by  2011CRZwhite 
#1 ·
General Disclaimers: Neither I nor the Forum is responsible. Use at your own discretion.

I posted something similar on another thread but here is the DIY in it's proper location.

Difficulty Level: Easy. If you can open the glove compartment you can do this.

Tools: Your hand or hands. :p

Parts: New Cabin Filter.

The 2 tabs need to be push gently toward engine compartment.

Cover open.

This is the cabin filter cover. The 2 tabs need to be push toward each other.

Cover removed.

The cabin filter. Pulled to removed noting air flow directions.

Cabin filter removed.

Cabin filter replaced with air flow directions pointing down.

Replaced all covering and your done. Make sure to push the 2 plastic latches (first photo) in the glove compartment upward until it clicks. Don't need to force it but gently push up near tabs.

For those who can't find replacement parts number (after market), it is the same part number for 2010-2011 Insight. OEM replacement #80291-TF0-E01.

:hi5:

See less See more
#3 ·
I got a question.
I bought my crz in feb. and the air coming out of the vents sometimes stinks like something I can't describe.

Does the cabin filter have anything to do with this?

I have heard that hondas are notorious for strange smells coming out
of the vents on new cars.

#11 ·
Second the mold comments above.

When I had the Civic Hybrid I had mold trouble because I hardly used the A/C and just used the fan settings. Dealer advised me to run the A/C or autoclimate at least once a week for the whole car ride just to keep humidity from creating a good environment for mold.

#4 ·
^ Do you have the vent open or closed (in recirculation mode)?

When my vent is open (recirculation is off), all the smell from outside comes in and sometimes it's not pleasant. The OEM cabin filter filters out the like of dust, pollen and allergen. It does not get rid of outside odor. Therefore most of the time I have mine in recirculation.

Also check your cabin filter to see if it is moldy due to moisture from the wet weather we had recently. If you have bugs collected on the filter, it would exasperate the situation. If it is moldy; clean the cabin filter area with mild mixture of bleach and replaced that filter.

#5 ·
Did the OEM filter have charcoal particles in it?

I've seen that it's becoming a trend now, saw a demo at a Toyota dealer - a box with a fan, smelly air freshener and 2 filtered outflow paths - one with carbon filter, one with "normal" - the carbon one didn't smell like crappy air freshener, the "normal" one did.

#7 ·
Begs the question... Anybody seen any aftermarket filters yet??? With charcoal etc..

#10 ·
#12 ·
I did some research about the moldy smell.
It's one of 2 things.
1. Leaves and debris clogging the air inlet for the cabin filter.
Remedy: clear debris from inlet and cabin filter...
or
2. Mold accumulating in the a/c condenser lines.
Remedy: run the front windshield defroster at full blast heat for like 10 minutes to "melt" the mold...

#14 ·
#17 ·
^ Yea that.. Thanks...

Just did a fairly exhaustive open source search and see nothing (carbon) in the aftermarket arena for the CR-Z.. It'll come I'm sure...

#20 ·
I just checked mine. I've had the car just over 3 months and I can see that it's already starting to get dirty. Looks like I may have to change it every six months or so. :bored:
It's only 20 bucks from hondapartsdeals so.....

#21 ·
on some vehicles you can use house filters to replace the old cabin filter, this works typically pretty well and is much cheaper, a 7 dollar filter can be used for like 2 or 3 filters. does this one pop out of the housing for replacement? btw the internet filter here at work does not allow me to see the OPs pics.

#22 ·
Cabin Air filters

Hello to all,
I am the technical manager at fram filters. Our cabin air filters not only are waay less than dealer cost (around 20$) They are impregnated with carbon particles AND arm and hammer baking soda for maximum odor absorbtion. We include written instructions in the box. We also have a website with installation videos. You can even view the videos on your smartphone by scanning the QR code on the box. Happy to answer any filtration questions you may have at jay.buckley@honeywell.com

#23 ·
Hello to all,
I am the technical manager at fram filters. Our cabin air filters not only are waay less than dealer cost (around 20$) They are impregnated with carbon particles AND arm and hammer baking soda for maximum odor absorbtion. We include written instructions in the box. We also have a website with installation videos. You can even view the videos on your smartphone by scanning the QR code on the box. Happy to answer any filtration questions you may have at jay.buckley@honeywell.com
Good to know!!!:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.