Tested the interior fuse box - #18 and #19 are Charlie Sheen #Winning - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Tested the interior fuse box - #18 and #19 are Charlie Sheen #Winning

I received no feedback on my question for tapping the interior fuse box... so I just went out and tested the available ones. I have a US-Spec 2011 Model Year CR-Z built in November 2010. It is equipped with the CVT and is an EX with Nav-system. Your particular fuses may vary depending on vehicle configuration or changes by Honda between model years.

Potential DIY benefits of this include:
1) Adding a relay so direct-to-battery configurations can be created that are switched based on key-position.
2) Adding small (low power) electronics such as heated seats, radar detectors, and backup cameras
3) Adding a USB/IPod charging cable that can provide power regardless if there is a key in the ignition (the normal interior 12v accessory port requires the key to be in the [Acc] position)

DISCLAIMER: This post is for informational purposes only. I am not a Honda technician, and I do not own a Factory Service Manual. I am merely sharing my findings for the forum. I do not take responsibility for any damage/harm that could arise if you attempt any electrical modification based on the information contained below.

-- -------------

Here is a picture of the USA-Spec interior fuse panel (the one by the driver's left knee). You can see that some of mini-fuse spots are available. Below, I explain whether or not you'll get 12v out of it if you tap into the open spots.

4 always on

18 switched ACC or On
19 switched ACC or On

38 nothing

40 always on
41 always on
46 always on

50 nothing
54 nothing

-- -----------

18 and 19 are potentially very useful since they are activated only when the key is in the Accessory or On position.

I didn't test the "Backup" one since I really don't understand why Honda's engineers uniquely labeled it with a special box around it. I just assume it'd be a bad idea to mess with it. I also didn't test #61 and #62 because I could not locate the slots.

I would wager that the "should have been in the USA-spec CRZ" heated seats are usually routed through #18 and #19. This feature is unavailable for USA Market vehicles, so the fuses are physically missing and there is no mention of the circuit in the owners manual or on the fuse-label-sticker.

-- -----------

What is potentially problematic is that the "tap a fuse" (aka "add-a-circuit") kits you get at auto parts stores tend to cover up some of the surrounding fuses. This means it's basically impossible to tap into 18 and 19 simultaneously with two separate fuse taps.

Here is the typical mini-fuse tap. The 90-degree bend will obscure the fuse directly above it - which means #19 will cover #18.

As a workaround, I have decided to tap into: #5 Back Light

I'm assuming #5 is the white light you see when you're in reverse. I couldn't verify this though. I believe I'm in reverse roughly 0.0001% of the time I'm driving, so this circuit won't have load on it during normal circumstances. The unique part of this circuit is that it is available only when the Key is in the [On] Position. That means the item you hook up to it will not be available if the Key in the [Acc] Position.

-- -----------

Also, be aware my vehicle is equipped with the CVT transmission. Just for fun I checked #43 (MG Clutch) and found that circuit provides 12v all the time.

-- -----------

Closing Note:
I understand that the "tap a fuse" kits are supposed to run independently of the parent circuit. That is, if you add your 10-amp "tapped accessory" off of the 20 amp regular circuit, that the accessory you added should not impede the original item. Basically everything is run parallel coming off the 12v system in your car anyway... so your new tapped circuit is technically the same (isolated with its own fuse)

Where I get a bit queasy is the fact you're basically shoving a shoddy piece of plastic/metal on an existing line, and I don't want to risk anything to the native feature that is now routed through the fuse tap. Automakers test their equipment and vehicles in some pretty crazy environments. I don't think the "Made in China" company does the same rigorous testing.
Ducky likes this.

CVT + EX + Nav + Backup Camera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Elite Member

Garage
#29 Small light runs your under dash lights, also good if you plan on adding any more interior lighting.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Capt'n Jack

Garage
Great contribution to the forum. Thanks..

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedefinedCRZ View Post
#29 Small light runs your under dash lights, also good if you plan on adding any more interior lighting.
do these only turn on at night? if so then i know where i'm tapping in for my light strip.

post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludercrz View Post
do these only turn on at night? if so then i know where i'm tapping in for my light strip.

I checked #29 and it turns out it's on all the time (regardless if the door is open or closed). Turning on lights or anything didn't affect the availability of the 12v.

I could get power from it even after I removed the key from the ignition and locked myself in the car. I waited for all the lights dim out and still had power coming through (then I made the mistake of starting the car with the key and I set off the alarm).

I would find it hard to believe that anything in the fuse box is switched/relay from any interior map light, door-position, or headlight state. You may need to run a relay off of the headlight harness (or fogs) and switch on your interior lights that way.

CVT + EX + Nav + Backup Camera
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedefinedCRZ View Post
There is a light in the drivers side kick pannel and in the pannel under the glove box you can tap off of, that is what Honda uses for the lighted door sills.

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Super Duper Member

fantastic info. i might have to do something with this.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:36 PM

just be careful of the wire guages in the rear... pulling 30 amps on a 22ga wire that goes quite a distance, could possible cause melting of wire...
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlopez3983 View Post
just be careful of the wire guages in the rear... pulling 30 amps on a 22ga wire that goes quite a distance, could possible cause melting of wire...
I can vouch for this guy as I know him personally and what he does for a living.
His word, as it pertains to automotive electronics, is gold...

2007 CIVIC EX 5MT (sold)
2011 CR-Z EX CVT (sold)
2011 CIVIC SI 6MT
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Elite Member

what kind of fuse tap kit did you use?
I tried serching for our low profile mini fuse taps but cant seem to find any. would just regular Mini tap work?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode