How to Jack Up Your CR-Z and Support on Jack Stands - Page 3 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 11:12 PM
Elite Member

Garage
Hi Everyone,

As stated earlier, I purchased a new jack and a cross beam from Harbour Freight and was hoping to find another easier way to jack up our cars. The 3 Ton Jack cost about $90 and the Cross Beam cost about $35. I also had to purchase a 10mm bit socket to remove the bolt to install the Cross Beam - for the price I was hoping this was included in the Cross Beam, but not such luck...

With the idea from litz, I decided to try out if the jack and cross beam would fit under the sides and be able to lift the car up. So here we go.

The pics...

This is the 3 ton jack and Cross Beam. Just remove the bolt from the jack and bolt on the cross beam. Thank goodness they use the same size bit socket.

Line up the cross beam to the side. Make sure that when you slide it in, the pads on either side are at its lowest point. As my car is lowered (about 1" on Tein H.Techs), it went under the side about a half inch of clearance.

Raise it slowly and once its at the lowest height of your jack, put it the jack stands.

Do the same on the other side, just go a bit higher to clear the tires. btw, because the drivers's side was lifted up, there was actually more clearance on the passenger side.

And that is it. No damage to the car and super easy to lift.

What I did tho is lift the driver side up about 12" high, put the stands in, lifted the passenger side to almost 15", put the other stands in, then lifted the driver side again to stable it at 15". I presume you could go up 15" in one go, but I was just too scared that the imbalance might not work with the stands I have.

Anyway... this is but another way to raise our cars!! And all it costs is a $35 Cross Beam. I think this was a great deal.

Thanks for reading everyone!!

2011 Honda CR-Z EX SSM 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:02 AM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Looks good, but I wasn't going to count on the seam along the bottom/side to hold up unless the cross beam could span enough to catch the end of each of the jack points while leaving enough space to slip the jack stands under them. Guess I was worried about the edges bending over if you couldn't reach the jack points to lift.

Thanks for the r&d and pics.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:22 AM
Elite Member

Garage
You are correct. The pads on the cross beam are not far enough to reach the usual Jack points, however the pads themselves are about 5in square on each side and seem to spread the weight rather evenly on the underside seam. Even though they are about 8in away from the Jack points, it looks really safe, but I am no expert on this.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:39 AM

this is all well and good for DIYers, but has anyone had problems with a shop putting the lift pads in the wrong place? my 96 firebird had the fender mount rolled over by a shop that missed the jack pad (under PO's watch, not mine), so I'm a touch nervous about this.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:35 PM
Elite Member

Garage
?? a shop putting the lift pads in the wrong place ?? If that ever happens, I would go back to the shop and have them fix the damage - or go through your insurance and have them go after the shop.

2011 Honda CR-Z EX SSM 6MT
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sonic Motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed2011 View Post
?? a shop putting the lift pads in the wrong place ?? If that ever happens, I would go back to the shop and have them fix the damage - or go through your insurance and have them go after the shop.
Yeah, it's sad, that happens more often then not.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 10:37 AM

its less about who pays for fixing it and more about it not getting damaged...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode