How to Jack Up Your CR-Z and Support on Jack Stands - Page 2 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:36 PM

Hey just want to say THANK YOU, this is very informative, I been wondering where to place my jack this whole time. Though the single lift point from the rear look really skinny to apply all the force in that one spot... but I have seen others doing it, so i'm sure that is the proper way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Red&Black <3

Garage
It's a square/rectangle shape?

2011 EX CVT
~~~~~~~~~~
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 11:45 PM
Elite Member

Garage
Hi All,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but one question... how high should a good jack go up to?

Thanks..

2011 Honda CR-Z EX SSM 6MT
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 02:39 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed2011 View Post
Hi All,

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but one question... how high should a good jack go up to?

Thanks..
High enough to get jack stands under there and allow you to comfortably reach the part you're working on / remove wheel / etc. If you're bumper touches ground you've gone too far!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 04:22 AM
Elite Member

Garage
This was not a trick question as I have an old jack that only goes up about 13". I tried to lift the rear of the car at the back where the hook is. At its max (13" high), I couldn't put my jack stands in the area in front of the rear wheels. It was still too low! Am I doing something wrong??? Is my jack just too small/low? If I get another jack, how high should I be looking to go?

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 12:09 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
This was not a trick question as I have an old jack that only goes up about 13". I tried to lift the rear of the car at the back where the hook is. At its max (13" high), I couldn't put my jack stands in the area in front of the rear wheels. It was still too low! Am I doing something wrong??? Is my jack just too small/low? If I get another jack, how high should I be looking to go?
The rear lift point is 8 inches from the ground, and the lowest point of the average jack stand is 11 inches, so I can see you're 13 inch max-height jack comes up about a half a foot short. The numbers don't add up, even if you were to build a solid base high enough to place your jack upon to get the height you'll need.

My low profile floor jack raises to 21 inches
(you are using a floor jack, and not a scissor or bottle jack, eh?) You'll have the opposite problem with the front lift point--not enough room to fit the jack under the car, so invest in a new floor jack:
1-1/2 ton or so capacity, with a low profile--mine is 6-1/2", but I still need to roll the car up on a shallow ramp for the front clearance.

Hope that helps.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Elite Member

Garage
OK... I got a new floor jack this weekend... it was too good a deal to pass up, although I don't know how good HF jacks are. Its a 3 ton, low profile and it looks to go up as high as 19".

I also picked up a Floor Jack Cross Beam to see if it is possible to raise the car higher by lifting up the car using the rear axle instead of the rear hook. Has anyone done this before?

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 04:05 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Quote:
OK... I got a new floor jack this weekend... it was too good a deal to pass up, although I don't know how good HF jacks are. Its a 3 ton, low profile and it looks to go up as high as 19".

I also picked up a Floor Jack Cross Beam to see if it is possible to raise the car higher by lifting up the car using the rear axle instead of the rear hook. Has anyone done this before?
I was just looking at the box labeled Cross Beam, and thinking that it would be perfect for jacking up the sides of the CRZ, since it doesn't have a side center-point to lift both wheels on one side (my 2002 Insight had the mid-side lift point, and I miss the CRZ not having one.)

Looks like you're ready to get under there and get at it! Let us know how the Cross Beam works out for the rear axle location, and if you can, check to see if it's possible to slip it under the sides and still be able to put some stands under there too.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:52 AM

Garage
Thanks for the pics. I used this info to plasti dip my wheels today.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 02:00 AM
Elite Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
I was just looking at the box labeled Cross Beam, and thinking that it would be perfect for jacking up the sides of the CRZ, since it doesn't have a side center-point to lift both wheels on one side (my 2002 Insight had the mid-side lift point, and I miss the CRZ not having one.)

Looks like you're ready to get under there and get at it! Let us know how the Cross Beam works out for the rear axle location, and if you can, check to see if it's possible to slip it under the sides and still be able to put some stands under there too.
I was just looking real close at the underside of the car and I don't think using the Cross Beam on the rear axle or the front suspension will work. However, I think your idea of slipping the cross beam under the sides and lifting it up should work as there are now 2 points to hold the side up, even tho the lift points will be part of the plastic side skirt.

My thinking is that it will take 3 lifts.
1. Jack up one side up to about half way on the jack stands
2. Jack up the other side up to the full height of the stands
3. Then back to the first side again and jack it up to the same height.

I am going to try this sometime this week when I have time (and an empty garage) and see if it works.

Wish me luck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode