Pearl White Paint - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Pearl White Paint

Long time lurker, but finally decided to create a profile on account of becoming a new (well to me) owner of a 2012 Pearl White Ex. I have literally scoured through all 12 pages of this detailing section, and I could not find what it is I was looking for. If the answer exists in here, I apologize! Now, I use to detail for a living a couple years ago, so I am of course looking forward to letting my OCD take over and spending a weekend perfecting my car and prepping for winter. My question is what are the properties of working with the Pearl White? I tried google as well, but to no avail. Is it a tri-coat? I only ask because I've read on here that the Pearl White was coated differently on account of the pearl and actually tends to be "harder" than some of the other colors. Is there any truth to this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 07:45 AM
@ the speed of white

Garage
Welcome to the forum. There's a few of us Mid-Westerners who meet up now and then (Ohio/Indiana/Michigan,) so maybe we can meet up some fine day. Love that PWP--it's a tri-coat with base, top coat, and clear coat, but I've never heard it described as anything other that SOFT..., in that you must keep the bug cleaned off or they'll eat into the paint.

I've used touchupirect (NH-624P) for fixing/modifying some parts to match, but best results from having the bodyshop do a PWP match. https://touchupdirect.com/touch-up-p...&tud_year=2012

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread
Sprintex | Mugen | Takeda | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've had the car a week and literally have not seen another one in my area; it'd be awesome to meet up with other fellow CRZ owners. That being said, I appreciate the response! I'll make sure to still do a small test area to learn even more about what I'm working with. Thanks again!

And yes, I absolutely love this color!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:56 AM
Deputy Forum Librarian

Garage
Since this is your first post, Welcome to the forum!!!!!

As @litz mentioned it is a tri-coat. The pearl is with the clear coat.

For your FAQ's - ABC's for the CR-Z
supercrz's experience with the CR-Z
Add me on Facebook: TJ supercrz; Follow me on Instagram: supercrz
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks! I look forward to hopefully being able to contribute to a great community
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 11:35 PM

Man, I wish you were all in my area! What you want is a coating! Google G technique or c2v3 theres many. They protect your paint and clear coat.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:18 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoppinSeabass View Post
Man, I wish you were all in my area! What you want is a coating! Google G technique or c2v3 theres many. They protect your paint and clear coat.
Clear coat is your protective layer. The issue is the car manufacturers ( especially Honda) are not putting a thick enough coating on it and then the dealerships let idiots with buffers prepare the car for delivery. All they needed to do was wash it by hand with proper clean materials. A brand new car does not need anyone to come near it with a buffer.

As has been discussed in this forum many times before many of those coatings are scams. Paint protectant sold by the dealerships are all scams.
Koala Yummies and Defiant like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Super Duper Member

Absolutely second that. No abrasives or polishing compounds either.

PWP is three-stage as noted albeit in different terminology, however the OEM Honda touchup paint is supplied as a two-stage application.

PWP doesn't really need any above and beyond care like black. White and silver are the easiest car colors to maintain, but three-stage paints are more expensive to repaint so you want to maintain them.

----

For basic care that will have your PWP CR-Z looking great a decade later:

Basic wash routine: Spray the car down getting as much dirt off the car as possible with the hose then a simple top to bottom hand wash with a car soap (no dishwasher detergent) and soft sponge designed for car use. Hand dry with clean cotton towels.

Basic detail routine: Once every six to twelve months wash, then use a clay bar if the paint feels like it needs it (Mothers for example, follow directions on the box), then wash again, then hand wax. If it doesn't need clay then just wash and wax. Doing this once every 6-12 months will have your car shining like new well into six-digit mileage.

You'll get a lot of different opinions about using fancy sponges and expensive special order products but these basic guidelines with a decent Auto Zone sponge and liquid wax will have the car looking great and staying great for a long time. You don't need to break the bank, professional detailers make a living off of upselling.
Spdbump likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
Clear coat is your protective layer. The issue is the car manufacturers ( especially Honda) are not putting a thick enough coating on it and then the dealerships let idiots with buffers prepare the car for delivery. All they needed to do was wash it by hand with proper clean materials. A brand new car does not need anyone to come near it with a buffer.

As has been discussed in this forum many times before many of those coatings are scams. Paint protectant sold by the dealerships are all scams.
Yes,it is the protective layer but if that goes then so does your paint....So why would you not protect it? Car companies are starting to use water based paints rather than oil based paints to save money. This means the paint lasts half the time it used to. Even new cars can look great with a buff considering like you said, they let unexperienced lot men "polish" the cars and use methods of washing the cars that leave scratches. Most of the dealership coatings probably are a scam but not the coatings I use in my detail shop. Check out G techniq's liquid crystal. Theres many others but this is our favorite.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoppinSeabass View Post
....Car companies are starting to use water based paints rather than oil based paints to save money. .....
The main reason is the EPA and vapor emissions. Of course, like all innovations (in our butts), it started in California.

God, I miss real lacquer. DuPont Dulux.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode