Anybody ever use KAMIKAZE MAYOBI COAT? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By CR-Z Canadian

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Anybody ever use KAMIKAZE MAYOBI COAT?

Just curious? I'm going to treat the paint on my car as soon as I get a chance. From what I've seen from a set of wheels I've used it on it looks to be maybe one of the best treatments for paint. This stuff is BRUTALLY EXPENSIVE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Oh good god. Head over to WalMart, walk down the car products aisle, buy a $6 container of wax and take someone out to dinner with what you didn't spend on this crap.

The water-based garbage they use for "paint" on modern cars doesn't merit this kind of product. Hell, DuPont Dulux lacquer doesn't really deserve it. Don't fall for the marketing butt pirates.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:51 PM
CR-Z Forum Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
Oh good god. Head over to WalMart, walk down the car products aisle, buy a $6 container of wax and take someone out to dinner with what you didn't spend on this crap.

The water-based garbage they use for "paint" on modern cars doesn't merit this kind of product. Hell, DuPont Dulux lacquer doesn't really deserve it. Don't fall for the marketing butt pirates.
EEEEEew, one would assume that anything purchased from the Wally World automotive department would turn your beloved CR-Z into a fat-arsed VW, with the acceleration of a comatose sloth, and the aesthetic appeal of Richard Simmons.

Seriously, though, price is relative. There are lots of snake-oil specialty coatings out there. If you've used this one on wheels and like it, then you're one step ahead of the game

My suggested alternative: if you want to do a good DIY paint protective coating, get a kit of CQuartz UK. It is about the best nano coating that you can purchase over the counter to apply yourself. Buy it on Amazon, and while you are at it pick up a container of Reload (or get them all together in a kit like this: CarPro CQuartz UK + Reload Kit - Amazon.com I didn't shop it for price - just chose the first one I came across.

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear … but no one can tell who is charging whom!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 07:10 PM
Super Duper Member

To protect my paint I went with Xpel Ultimate paint protection film installed by a professional as a an option for longevity of the vehicle. You can go complicated and expensive but we do not drive Ferrari's, Maserati's or other high end cars with color changing or other super expensive to repair paint so why spend the money. Do you want to do this for protection or prestige?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
To protect my paint I went with Xpel Ultimate paint protection film installed by a professional as a an option for longevity of the vehicle. You can go complicated and expensive but we do not drive Ferrari's, Maserati's or other high end cars with color changing or other super expensive to repair paint so why spend the money. Do you want to do this for protection or prestige?
Prestige,it's a Honda. I want to keep the car looking as good as I possibly can so why not make the effort. As far as going to Walmart and buying a $6 container of crap,no thanks. The MAYOBI COAT has some type of quartz blend of some type that's supposed to make it superior to some of the other sealers out there. To each his own I guess,bought a new car and if I'm willing to keep it looking that way I'll make the effort. Can't quite understand some peoples reasoning as far as not wanting to go the extra mile in keeping something looking good.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Prestige,it's a Honda. I want to keep the car looking as good as I possibly can so why not make the effort. As far as going to Walmart and buying a $6 container of crap,no thanks. The MAYOBI COAT has some type of quartz blend of some type that's supposed to make it superior to some of the other sealers out there. To each his own I guess,bought a new car and if I'm willing to keep it looking that way I'll make the effort. Can't quite understand some peoples reasoning as far as not wanting to go the extra mile in keeping something looking good.
As you said it is a Honda worth less than $30K Base price . To repaint it is not that expensive. Protect it but don't go overboard. As a coating no one will know what you used unless you tell them. It is a false concept to think it is prestigious. It is clear coat over base coat paint, nothing special. It is not many layers of hand applied color changing multi layer paint which is hard to repair and needs special treatment to protect it.

The Xpel Ultimate XPEL ULTIMATE - XPEL for the vulnerable front end and lights on the front was $850 car is protected and if there is an accident it can be redone after repair. and it still looks good. It is self healing. Coatings can wash off. A lot of these coatings are all hype.

There is a big difference between wanting to protect the paint and overpaying for prestige or hype.

Before you spend the money to protect the paint look at it closely to see if when it was prepared it was swirled. Repair swirls first then protect. I did what I did because on a previous car a similar material saved me hundreds as it prevented lights from cracking and getting cataracts. Look up costs of replacing light housings and you will understand. This car I decided to go further and protect the paint too.

As you say to each their own.

PS you have over 5 postings go vote in Scotty's CR-Z Of the Month (COTM for short) and other amusing polls we have.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 06:04 PM
CR-Z Forum Librarian

You can keep the car looking quite good with just basic proper washing and routine wax and sealant.

A good wax will cost you upwards of $50 and that container will last a season if applied only to the CR-Z. Waxing increases the shine, but does nothing for the paint.

A bottle of sealant maybe $20 and that bottle will last a couple years if you seal the paint once every couple months. Sealant protects the paint itself, but isn't that obvious in appearance (except in the reaction when the car gets wet).

As Spdbump said, neither of these will protect against chips, scratches, or swirls.
Your fancy brand of sealant might give better hydrophobic properties than a Mother's, Simoniz, Meguiar's, AUTO GLYM, CarPro or Chemical Guys sealant (or it might not), and it might just give slightly more protection against swirls and marks. Perhaps it will last longer. or maybe it will just lighten your wallet.

Modesta, OptiCoat, or CQuartz Finest are the best nano coatings in the business, and will give you a great deal of resistance to micro scratches and swirls. They typically have a 3-5 year life span. They will bead water for years with some minor upkeep, protect the paint from pollution, bugs, bird droppings, etc, and give you an amazing shine. Washing/care is dirt simple (pun intended).

No coating is going to prevent chips and scratches. PPF will though, to a great extent. The best of these are XPEL Ultimate, Sun Tek, and Scotchguard Professional - these are self-healing clear vinyl films and offer a great deal of damage resistance while not detracting from the appearance by dulling the car or yellowing. They last 5-10 years, and most have a guarantee of 7 or 8.
Most high end cars get a full wrap using one of these 3 products, followed by a full coating of one of the premium nano coatings, anymore. That's just the way it is.

Guess what? You get what you pay for, and the costs go up as the level of protection and life span increase. The CQ UK that I recommended a few posts above, is cheaper than your Kamikazi stuff, and I know it works. Having a CR-Z professionally done in one of the nano coatings I listed will likely run you $1,500-$2,500 or more. And that does not include paint prep - any existing swirls, mars, chips or scratches need to be carefully fixed before you put what is essentially a second sacrificial clear-coat over top. Spdbump told us what it cost to wrap the exposed front surfaces. Doing the entire CR-Z in one of the good paint protection films will likely cost $3,000+ (again, plus paint prep). Coating that with CQuartz Finest on top will add another $1,500.

I agree that most of this is overkill for a car that lists well under $30,000, but if you love it enough, go nuts. It's only money.
Just don't come here asking questions that suggest you aren't sure if a "brutally expensive" $175 snake oil that nobody else has ever heard of is worth it, then go on the attack when you get the opinions you asked for.

Me, I wax and seal my CR-Z with the best off-the-shelf product I can find (AUTO GLYM or Meguiar's) several times a year.
My $100,000 exotic got the full PPF wrap, and I applied CQ UK to the wheels myself.
I wouldn't waste much time on the in-between stuff, personally. But to each their own.
litz and Spdbump like this.

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear … but no one can tell who is charging whom!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 08:07 PM
Super Duper Member

The $850 I mentioned included the door edges and Mirror shells. Another $50 or so was for the door handle pockets on the outside.( prices do vary depending on your installer and location. My installer was a mobile guy)

I totally agree with CR-Z Canadian. if you properly maintain your paint, never use an automatic car wash( or let the dealer wash it or prepare it) and use good quality washing tools you can have a great looking car for years for very little money. Bird droppings and acid in water will do damage even with the coatings unless you get that off as soon as you see it.( quartz is an insoluble mineral so any coating containing it is hype)

There are many other modifications you can buy for the cost of fully covering all of the paint. I had to make a financial decision to cover the most vulnerable parts of the front and it goes almost all the way up the hood.

If you drive it it will accumulate minor damage no matter what you do!

It is a car not a museum exhibit!

In summary it moves through the world and I would be more worried about chips, scratches and other physical damage to the car body, wheels and lights.

No car is perfect no matter what it is or how you care for it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Prestige,it's a Honda. I want to keep the car looking as good as I possibly can so why not make the effort. As far as going to Walmart and buying a $6 container of crap,no thanks.
Well, then, Amazon off the web. Don't look now, but every store carries the same products.... until you start going for "esoteric", "exotic" or "special" products. And if only one or two sources on the web will sell it to you, turn and run.
Quote:
The MAYOBI COAT has some type of quartz blend of some type that's supposed to make it superior to some of the other sealers out there.
Or, so they tell you. Probably the stuff they mine in lower Patagonia, in pits manned only by gypsy leprechauns from Borneo, as they have a certain genetic mutation of the eye which makes them the only ones able to see it. Don't go by what a manufacturer tells you, nor shills who are getting -if only the ego trip- a payoff for helping boost the bulk wrap.
Back before they paved all the roads, and mags were still hewn from hickory, the hot tip in finishes was carnauba wax, which comes off the leaves of some tropical palm tree. Classic Car Wax and Polish, because it had such a strong polisher in it.... that it would cut down to your primer about the fifth time. Zymol was the end-all and be-all of finishes. Then they started with this idea of clay-bar treatments, then waxing, then sealing the wax. Really? It sure does make the door-dings easier to see, and it beats wasting time on a car forum.
Quote:
To each his own I guess,bought a new car and if I'm willing to keep it looking that way I'll make the effort. Can't quite understand some peoples reasoning as far as not wanting to go the extra mile in keeping something looking good.
We want to help you keep it looking good, too. But it doesn't come from spending twenty times what a product's worth. It comes from using good, not great, "wax" of your choice on a paint that's as clean as you can wash it with a mild surfactant, and then keeping that coating as clean as practical until it's time to re-do- which will be three months if you're really lucky. Figure in the real world it'll only be one month.

I don't mean anything personal in my rantings, and please don't take it that way. But I've been through it, spending far too much time with all the special, fancy, expensive fakes out there. The only one I'll over-pay for anymore is 303, because in my experience it has been the best thing to use on the damned black plastic the manufacturers and stylists are using to replace all the old chromed pot-metal and paper-thin stainless trim that used to rot off the cars. At least now it's put on with 3M tape instead of punching a hole through the sheet metal and attaching with a sharp-edged, paint-removing steel clip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode