Steering Wheel Leather Care? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Garage
Question Steering Wheel Leather Care?

Does anyone have a suggested method or product to keep the steering wheel's leather healthy and rotless? Most suppliers have too many lawyers vulturing around them to let them say to use their stuff on steering wheels.

Someday I'll tell you all about the co-worker who thought that since Armor-All does such a good job (well...) on plastics and rubber that a foot pedal treatment would be a good idea. Luckily, she discovered her error harmlessly. Then had to find a really good upholstery cleaner.

Lexol on a sponge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 10:07 PM
@ the speed of white

Garage
My 14 year old Insight is showing signs of deterioration on the part where my left hand rests. I figure it's best not to use your hands to steer, if you want to keep grubby skin oils from causing deterioration. Besides, if you steer with your knees, your hands are free to text and suck down a chocolate shake, lol.

One thing I've been trying to do with my CRZ, if it's not parked in the garage, is to turn the steering wheel 180 from center when parked, to balance the sun/UV variable from destroying it.

I've used products that have been bad on the faux leather, just to keep it clean, so I'm looking for better ideas in that area myself.

2013 Honda CRZ EX PWP w/navi CVT | Litz's 2013 PWP Build Thread | Sprintex | Mugen | BLF | Seibon | Tanabe | Heko | DIY: CVT with 6-Speed shift boot
the speed of sound...the speed of light...the speed of love...the speed of white!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 10:37 PM
Red&Black <3

Garage
On my clazzios and EX steering wheel I use Mother VLR cleaner (vinyl leather rubber). Been having no problems for the last few years. On the seats, on the paper towel I see all the ink come off my various pants. On the steering wheel I see black and brown from my nasty hand sweat

2011 EX CVT
~~~~~~~~~~

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I have had the same problem with the steering wheel and the directional switch arm. Both are fading due to UV exposure, I use 303 UV protectant it's about $15 a bottle but it restored and seems to be protecting the entire dash.

I-VTEC SOHC+ IMA
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by litz View Post
My 14 year old Insight is showing signs of deterioration on the part where my left hand rests. I figure it's best not to use your hands to steer, if you want to keep grubby skin oils from causing deterioration. Besides, if you steer with your knees, your hands are free to text and suck down a chocolate shake, lol.

One thing I've been trying to do with my CRZ, if it's not parked in the garage, is to turn the steering wheel 180 from center when parked, to balance the sun/UV variable from destroying it.

I've used products that have been bad on the faux leather, just to keep it clean, so I'm looking for better ideas in that area myself.
I just use a very good sunshade permanently mounted to my windshield from carsunshades

My current one for The Speed Bump is the Flame pattern but most of the rest in the family are the standard silver. On previous car no fading of dash or any other parts. No cracks in any parts either. I have been using this product through many iterations on a few cars it is a great product. No relationship to company other than being a happy owner. The Speed Bumps was ordered within days of the car coming home.

To keep steering wheel clean wear driving gloves of the same color as wheel . Before you all yell at me I am kidding. My wheel is damaged and I want to get a Lecce it is on the list but the list is long the bank account is empty. Don't use Alcohol Like I did on a previous car.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdawg35 View Post
....I use 303 UV protectant it's about $15 a bottle but it restored and seems to be protecting the entire dash.
Ah, one of the great unknown products of the world. I've been using it for a few years, and have nothing but great to say about it. They make a canvas protectant that's great for fabric convertible tops, too.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post

To keep steering wheel clean wear driving gloves of the same color as wheel . Before you all yell at me I am kidding. .....
Don't laugh. Driving with good gloves really does change the sensation. They're also great against cold or hot steering wheels.

I always use a sun shade, but one of the spring-spined type that fold up with a twist. They're getting hard to find, but I like the one-piece ones better than the dual panel. In this part of California, there's no option. I also use a car cover.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
Don't laugh. Driving with good gloves really does change the sensation. They're also great against cold or hot steering wheels.

I always use a sun shade, but one of the spring-spined type that fold up with a twist. They're getting hard to find, but I like the one-piece ones better than the dual panel. In this part of California, there's no option. I also use a car cover.
My sunshade is self storing.Very important in The Speed Bump. I found my first one when I lived in CA. I now order them online. 1 hand deploy so I use it more often.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdbump View Post
1 hand deploy so I use it more often.
Um.... no, I musn't.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 04:30 PM
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant View Post
Um.... no, I musn't.
Please don't. Think good advice not what your dirty mind is thinking!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode