PPF Wraps and Coatings? - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
CR-Z Forum Librarian

PPF Wraps and Coatings?

Hi guys,

Need some advice, and I figure my CR-Z friends are some of the greatest chaps (and chap-ettes) in the world for this sort of thing.

I'm asking because of an impending new vehicle, but it could apply to any automobile these days. A new car is a very special thing. Cleaning and waxing looks and works pretty darn good. But modern paints are not what they were in the good old days when the ozone layer was whole instead of a hole, and we hadn't noticed fish with three heads yet. Oh, and when you live in the stix like I do, you have a lot more to worry about than leaves falling on your car in the suburbs. Road debris can be a real problem for me, as are can the wildlife and the results of many a bird's lunch be.

So, skip to the chase. I've got a new car coming. Looking for advice on paint protection film, and specialty coatings. Car is red, BTW (which is bad for showing swirls, but great for glistening in the sun).

What I know on the subject will make a pretty short post, so I'm hoping you can help.

3 PPF films that I've heard good things of - X-Pel Ultimate, SunTek, and 3M Scotchguard Professional. All are self-healing, and pretty much invisible, and expensive to apply. I'm considering doing the "impact zones", or possibly the entire car. On my example, almost the entire car is an impact zone! The 3M which the dealership will do (so protected even for the trip home, and he's on the hook for paint prep) has a 7 year warranty. This is not a year-round car, so I'm hoping for much longer. PPF, especially the newer kinds, seem to be the best defence against chips and scratches. To get the other brands done, I'd have to wait a month or so to get an appointment, and drive a fair ways to get it. So there will be chips to fix.

As far as coatings, I've heard mainly of CQuartz Finest, Opti-Coat Pro, and Modesta (various, but mainly BC-04 and BC-05). That seems to be listed in from cheapest to most expensive, and from shortest to longest lasting. These need immaculate paint prep, as any damage is basically sealed in amber. I've seen the CQF, and it does a nice job, but for the cost only lasts a couple of years. Modesta is 3-10 years (depending on exposure), but very time consuming and hence expensive. It takes 3 days to prep and apply (from the only approved shop in Canada, I'm told - by him LOL), and sets up with IR light.

For this car, the costs are:
Impact area wrap $3,200 (3M)
Full wrap $4,400 (3M)
CQF $800
OCP $1100
Modesta BC-05 $1500
All plus paint prep. The wrap takes less prep - I might trust the dealer to do that (he does Maserati and Ferrari, both of which have s--t paint jobs from the factory, and very discerning owners), but not the coatings.
I couldn't get an appointment for the coating for a month or more, so there is going to be some paint damage in the interim.

Tempted to take the extra expense for the full wrap, as this is a once-in-a-lifetime car for me. Of course, I've bought cars for less than the cost of that wrap! If I'm eating cat food for the next three years, what's the difference if it is Fancy Feast or only Meow Mix???

Any experience with these?
Any thoughts on them?
What about maintenance after the fact?

I'd appreciate any comments you can provide.

I know that my question isn't CR-Z specific, but the answers are likely pretty much generic.

Cheers!

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear but no one can tell who is charging whom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sonic Motor
The only one I have experience with is going to be 3M PPF, as I am an installer, but 3M products are the only thing I personally recommend / use. So I might not be the best person to ask. 3M PPF is really fantastic in terms of maintenance, very low. Just wash it, care for it as you normally would! Because I know you're not gonna be running an alfa through drive through car washes or self car washes.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have, CR-Z Canadian!

-Zach
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
CR-Z Forum Librarian

Oh, and how about windshield film?
3M makes one that is clear and supposedly cuts UV.
The glass on this car is 10% thinner than normal (weight saving), and I'm guessing a replacement windshield is costly and would take months to get. Does this help with minor windshield damage or is it all hype?

Eco Stig
SOME SAY, that when he gets into his car, he plugs the IMA cable into his left ear but no one can tell who is charging whom!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
CR-Z Forum Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Motor View Post
The only one I have experience with is going to be 3M PPF, as I am an installer, but 3M products are the only thing I personally recommend / use. So I might not be the best person to ask. 3M PPF is really fantastic in terms of maintenance, very low. Just wash it, care for it as you normally would! Because I know you're not gonna be running an alfa through drive through car washes or self car washes.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have, CR-Z Canadian!

-Zach
Thanks Zach. That's exactly the kind of info I wanted to hear.
You may have a bias, but you wouldn't install it if you didn't believe in it.

Does the cost seem in line for this car, to you?

Eco Stig
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 05:45 PM
Super Duper Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sonic Motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-Z Canadian View Post
Thanks Zach. That's exactly the kind of info I wanted to hear.
You may have a bias, but you wouldn't install it if you didn't believe in it.

Does the cost seem in line for this car, to you?
I think I am a little biased

I would personally possibly look into clearplex for the window protectant.

It does seem in line personally due to cost of material vs the complexity of the body on the 4C, especially it being from the dealer so you know it will be done right, otherwise the installer wouldn't have a job . The 3M PPF is nothing like 3M 1080 Vinyl, it's a whole different monster compared to doing a full wrap with PPF vs a real wrapping material.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
CR-Z Forum Librarian

^ Thanks for that! ^

Eco Stig
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 PM

I'll throw some input as far as the CQuartz finest, I had it professionally done from a registered dealer for reference. As far as cost, I had to have paint correction done first, which included wash, decontamination (ironx, tarx, claybar), and 1 stage polish. So, the CQuartz install for me, which included said paint correction, cost me $600 (USD not CAD.)

If you want PROTECTION, don't get anything other than a film protection wrap, a wrap is the BEST way to protect you paint from rock chips, tar, everything. Neither CQuartz finest, nor any other coating will protect your car from rock chips.

If you want to have awesome looking paint, that's super easy to maintain, but you can handle getting rock chips from time to time (ya know, its just a car), than save your bucks and get a coating.

Also, those are some seriously steep prices on the PPF. The business I went to here in NJ (4.9 star rating) had a Ferrari 458 that they had just finished a full body XPEL wrap on, and man did it look good, couldn't even tell the film was there. I got to talking to him about it (because I was considering the PPF, but I just couldn't justify the price on my car).

Obviously this is word of mouth, but he said he only uses XPEL because it's guaranteed not to yellow for 10 years, it's easy to work with, and it just comes out looking freaking amazing. Anyway, the price he quoted me for the CR-Z was $1100 for impact areas, and $2,200 for full body. I hope you can find a better price for the film, because if it's the car I think you're getting, you're gonna want to keep that baby looking pristine.

Good luck man! The hardest part isn't choosing which type of paint protection to get, it's figuring out how to pay for it! lol
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
CR-Z Forum Librarian

Thanks for the input, Rossinator.
Yes, I thought the price was scary steep, except I've had three quotes from approved PPF applicators, and this isn't the highest.

Because of where I live and the roads I drive on, chips are a concern. A big concern. Amy has remarkably few, but each one cuts me to the quick. That's why I'm entertaining the wrap. And as a percentage of the vehicle price, it is a little easier to swallow.

I think that part of the bigger price tag is the complexity of the car - it has a lot of sexy curves, intakes, and character lines. And a fair bit of carbon fibre bits. Even the door sills (what, 6" on the CR-Z?) are huge (14" or so) on this one. Those are part of the price.

How is the CQF holding up for you?
My friend did his Boxter, and it is impressive. Especially the wheels. Makes cleaning brake dust off, a breeze.

Eco Stig
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:39 PM

You really have to use the "Reload" spray every now and then to really keep that slipperiness. Because of the heavy salt and crappy conditions of this last winter, I still have quite a bit of rail dust and tar to remove. Especially with a PWP, it's all really noticeable.
The CQF does an amazing job at preventing swirl marks, I still have yet to see any. Even though the car is filthy, the paint is still super reflective because the coating. So far, I think having the paint correction made the biggest difference and the CQF is just the topping on the cake.
Just think of the coatings as just a super hard layer of clear coat on top of your paint, it'll help keep swirl marks and light blemishes from damaging the paint. But, those rocks will break right through it, as is to be expected.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 12:22 PM
Red&Black <3

Garage
I have 3M Scotchguard PPF on select areas of my car: 2' on hood, and door handle cups/door handles. I've had it 2 years now, still looks good. It can get swirls in it just like paint, so I don't think I have the self healing kind you got a quote for.

I have Suntek on my custom license plates, and also on my headlights. I was told NEVER to get carnauba wax on it as it will cause the film to fog prematurely. Whereas the 3M website says to treat it's film "like paint".

Last fall I won a 1-step paint correction from a local detailing shop. I decided to pay $175 to follow it up with a coating. I went with a cheap 2 year-protection one: Americoat. Makes it so easy to clean, and as previously said even when the car is dirty up close, the paint still is mirror-reflective because of the coating. Several people at work have asked me how often I wash the car because it looks so shiny in the back of the parking lot. In reality I wash it twice a month!

Because you hate rock chips and I hate rock chips, I would go with a PPF. If I ever get a new bumper (accident, or I buy a kit) I will most definitely wrap it in PPF. My bumper has so many rock chips it's ridiculous...

2011 EX CVT
~~~~~~~~~~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode