2 months old, 2500km on the Odometer, Sealant Failure. - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

2 months old, 2500km on the Odometer, Sealant Failure.

So it looks like my paint's sealant has failed. If it was even applied. Washed the car today and noticed small rust flecks in the paint that wont come out. After a little googling it appears that its industrial fallout that is little iron flecks embedded into the paint from shipping.

I had this on my EM2 years back. it wasnt nearly this bad. and the car had over 100k on it.

ive got a PWP crz. Anyone else with white seeing the same issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Super Duper Member

Garage
you have bad luck with cars. im seriously sorry - not a huge issue but you cant get out from under the shadows eh?

i dont seem to have this issue

2011 PWP EX 6MT
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

i did a little more research into the issue, its something that im just gonna have to live with with a white car. its not a sealant failure like i thought.

the issue is called industrial fallout. Its basically microscopic pieces of metal that are airborn around railways, highways, airports. They are statically charged to your car's paint and begin to rust leaving these rust spots. You can generally see them on silver and white cars the most. (my EM2 was silver, go figure!)

To get rid of it you could clay bar, but it wont take all of the metal out and the rust will re appear.

the proven method seems to be an acid wash with an alkaloid wash to neutralize the acid. This will get rid of all the microscopic metal pieces in your paint!

Im going to honda this aft. they have a body shop there and the guys there are really great.

Im taking this one with stride tho i love my CRZ. Im just taking care of business, theres no negativity towards honda on this one

I hope that this stays out there tho for the other PWP cars out there that will get this. Every white and silver car out there will be vulnerable to this. just make sure that you get your car properly waxed and sealed to prevent these woes and you should be golden! Ive been told that a good annual seal and wax is good for the paint. Im going to make sure that this gets done from now on.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Elite Member

Garage
I have never heard of this. Can you manage to photograph the effect?

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Super Duper Member

First I have heard of it as well. Pics would be appreciated.

Happiness is a nice road, great weather, and driving the S with Sue in the seat next to me.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Got my White CZR this past wknd, and this Thurs, getting Clayed n Waxed and Tint. lol
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Duper Member

will post pics when i get off work.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Elite Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SS2CRZ
Lightbulb

Clay bar and a good coat of wax should take care of it!

It is either from industrial fallout -OR- driving near railroad tracks. If you live near railroad tracks, the dust from their wheels and brakes flies EVERYWHERE!

No worries. It's pretty common, just more noticeable on a white car.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Elite Member

I've noticed it too. Also pwp. Little rust spots that seem to damage the clear coat around them. I'd say there are a couple per sq foot of area.. some areas worse than others.
But yah, I think it's unfortunately common.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 10:39 PM

ill second the clay bar and wax, usually a couple times a year. i did it on my old civic (white), and our work trucks (also white). im sure every color car has them, its just annoyingly noticeable on white.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode