Headlight Restoration Help! - Page 2 - Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty001 View Post
Yikes, serious oxidation and wear.. Might get it a little better but back to original??

But then again, anything that makes it better would be good..
See what I get myself into,LOL! Like a man named Ralph Kramden once said "I got a BIG MOUTH"

I-VTEC SOHC+ IMA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Capt'n Jack

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdawg35 View Post
See what I get myself into,LOL! Like a man named Ralph Kramden once said "I got a BIG MOUTH"

Thinking to start, would just show him the Toothpaste DIY and see how it turns out.

Not any expert, but looks like a lot of - eh - "dirt/crud" on top of the oxidation. Might want to start on that first with some simple green or something to get down to the oxidation itself..

Click on the Capt'n Jack's Place signature link for a video. WARNING .. Rated PG-NSFW..
CVT Fully Loaded EX//NAVI//Eibach Pro Springs//H&R
20mm Rear Spacers//
Honda 17" OEM//
P2R
Down Pipe//K&N Typhoon SRI//32 Diamond Quartz Tint//Clazzio Black-Red Insert & Stitching//
iJDMToy interal&External LEDs//T1R Side Mirrors//Remus USDM Catback Center Exhaust//
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 12:47 AM

Garage
My wife's car has awful oxidation and I've tried a few off the shelf things, including one with the power buffer application. That one worked best but still looks pretty bad. There was actually a factory recall on the originals since they oxidized so quickly, but the replacements haven't been much better. I'm thinking of actually just replacing the housings at this point, but I expect a few hundred bucks might be required.

If you do find something that works well, please report back!

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
I'm reluctant to do any thing at this point because my friend said she wants them to look like new,HA! I told her she has to get new lights for that and I don't want to open a can of worms trying to get the olds ones to look better. Thanks for all the input, I still think the toothpaste thing was cool.

I-VTEC SOHC+ IMA

Last edited by chazdawg35; 09-06-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Red&Black <3

Garage
My 2005 Honda Civic which is now my fiance's had headlights that were nearly as bad as that photo of the Hyundai. I had once tried a simple Rain-X Headlight Restoration kit, and it worked for about a month. The finishing stuff you wipe on was not a good sealant at all. And I never garage my cars. This was summer '12.

Last month I had those headlights professionally restored and also covered in Suntek PPF; this will protect the plastic from further oxidation, and also rock chips and cracks! I had the PPF put on my headlights too.

If you want to restore them yourself, I would suggest applying some clear vinyl or 3M or other brand of PPF to the headlight housing to prevent the oxidation from coming back altogether! Especially if you cant garage it.

2011 EX CVT
~~~~~~~~~~
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Bringing this thread back from the dead, now I had used Turtle Wax headlight kit on my CR-Z about 8 months ago. Now the headlights are getting a white haze on them. Does anyone know of a kit that will last longer if not forever.

I-VTEC SOHC+ IMA
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Red&Black <3

Garage
Headlight Restoration Help!

I had my headlights wrapped in Suntek paint protection film the first year I owned it. Will be a long time before I have plastic oxidation problems. Also protects them from rocks.

I had my 2005 civic done before, professionally polished the fogginess away and then Suntek film applied which protects the plastic from UV rays, etc. You need some type of sealant layer to make your restoration more permanent, like a film.

2011 EX CVT
~~~~~~~~~~
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Yea Holly I guess I'll have to do that film. Having the car in the South West UV rays it's hard to keep it up.

I-VTEC SOHC+ IMA
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 04:20 PM
Red&Black <3

Garage
A shop did mine, with a precut piece of film. It had a square cut out (a notch of missing film) under where the pointy part of our headlight is. I'll take a picture if I dont make sense

2011 EX CVT
~~~~~~~~~~
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaHolly View Post
A shop did mine, with a precut piece of film. It had a square cut out (a notch of missing film) under where the pointy part of our headlight is. I'll take a picture if I dont make sense
I had my headlights tinted at a shop in L.A. when I had an S2000 so that is what I'm going to do (but clear) to the CR-Z.

I-VTEC SOHC+ IMA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode